Goodwill - but not if you haggle ! | FerrariChat

Goodwill - but not if you haggle !

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by exiges, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Following on from the "haggle" thread, it brought to mind something which happened when I bought my Spider.

Prior to collection I called the dealer and asked when the car was due for it's next service (they were doing the belts anyway).. The next service was due in June and it was a major service.. so I asked them if they could do it for me.. They came back and said that as they were working on the car anyway, they would do it for £300 for me.

Anyway, after collecting the car (which was not without its own problems) I was flipping through the Formula blurb that you get with the car and found a sheet on "Goodwill Charter", listing things the dealer would do, such as ensure all tyres had 4mm of tread, brake pads won't need replacing for the next 3000 miles, minimum of 9 months MoT and

"The car will not require a scheduled service for at least 12 months"

Hang on !!! I just paid £300 towards servicing the car, when the Goodwill Charter says I won't have to.. Hmmm..

So I call my dealer and they tell me that since I'd haggled so hard on the price there was no room for them to offer the Goodwill service !!

I'm in the process of sharing my feelings on the matter with them !

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Thats very interesting. Surely they have now lost you as a customer for continued servicing into the future?

I think they have shot themselves in the foot.

3. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Pretty much.. this is in additon to:

Interior being grubby (and I'm not a fussy person)
    Overspray of paint on inside of passengers door
    Only one set of keys (they're "sourcing" the other set)
    Hood not working properly
    Glovebox not staying closed
    Undertray loose
    Exhaust bolts sheared off
    Rear wheel arch liner loose
    CD changer inoperative
    Leather owners folder missing (being "sourced")

That's just a subset, in all, there's 26 complaints.

I could overlook some of it had I rushed them to get the car ready, but I waited 3-4 weeks for them to prep it.

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Clearly the 101 point check or whatever was not done, which is the whole point of paying inflated main dealer margins. Very disappointing, I'm sure. I'm not a lawyer, but is there grounds for return under "sale of goods" act?

5. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Since I'm a "regular" customer, I had hoped for better. It did take away the feel good factor (which is what it's all about)..

The car is going back on Monday to get the issues addressed.

6. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    That list is frankly appalling - its must be a fairly new car after all , right? I guess you trusted that they would look after you (being a repeat customer), but they have completely let you down. Sign of a big company with no 'on the ground presence' of people who actually care about more than just the 9-5 they put in.

Would you consider moving to an 'independent' now to do work for you? I found if you deal directly with the owner of an independent they sit up and listen as they know its there personal business that is being lost/won.

7. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I would have thought Ferrari would be very interested to learn who this dealer is!

8. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    What part of the country do you live in so that we can all get the chance to at least make some attempt to avoid this being repeated.

Sorry to hear of your problems, not what anybody would expect for anybody let alone a main dealer.

9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    This is exactly the same as happened to me,they "offered" to pay half of the servicing(due in July)me being so dumb I agreed well when I got the formula 1 paperwork I took it up with FUK and they agree that I am liable for nothing and it is in their hands to sort out,bloody cheek trying it on.
    Dave Mc

10. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Have sent you a p.m.

11. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Mark they know who mine is!

12. 360

360 Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Orpington Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    The same happened to me but after pointing out the errors of their ways they waived the charge. Unfortunatley this just happens every time a main dealer goes near the car, they think just because its a Ferrari the owners must not only be loaded but gullable, a very short term veiw and one i have tired of and am therfore selling not because of the car but the stress of dealing with these people at least once a year

13. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    It is true that most main dealers appear problematic, I wouldn't buy another car from the dealer that supplied my 355 although there service department are very good.

My first experience with one was when I arrived in my 328 to look at a 355, whilst waiting in the showroom I was shocked to see an employee (I believe the dealer principal no less) do a cartwheel across the front of my car, he later apologised stating that he thought it was one of their cars they had for sale as if that's a justification, sadly they didn't even have the sense to clean the hand prints off the car!

I'm still waiting for another to get back to me after now, what, 15 months with details he was supposed ot about a car I was interested in

So for me, 3 down, some more to go :)

14. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Do you know it matters not a jot to the Ferrari dealers that you are not there to provide them witha service it is you they are provinding a service to and a poor one at that, my 360 Modena has gone back to Maranellos for the 2nd time in 3 months now after stripping out the whole car and telling me the leaks wre fixed they sent it back and within a week again it was filling with water, I mean how stupid are we, obviously not as stupid as they think!!

I mean I like the guys at Maranellos and I went there becuase I thought they had the best optiuons for me as I want to try to spec a 2nd hand one, with mayeb a grill or seat swap, and it was possible with them cos of the large amnount of used stock, but to be honest I wiush I'd just kept my 355 Spyder as it was as dry as a bone and I did 10k and even had it in Spain for a few months and believe me I'm so into detail and even Glenvarigill lost my leather key fob cover when it was getting serviced and then they said ah yeah we'll get uyo one, but has it ever turned up -NO! Why are we letting them get away with all this, we seem to tell each other but they are still talkiing us to the cleaners in so many ways!!

So now I have no car, I'm still annoyed and god know when it will be back they've only had it for 3 months this year how many more do they need to just bl00dy sort it!!

They o0ffered me a 4200GT Masa as they don't have 360's to lend, which I was pretty impressed by but it's not what I bought and don't need a practical car I've got 3, why do I need another!! I'm so God dam annoyed wiht these guys, I just can't believe this too about the servicing cos they gave me a free service but it was a 6250 service and they did my belts when I got it cos they were nearly due, but I think now that they should have done thre 6250 service too cos it seems like they duped me with the good will think and I now have scattered service hiostory, which is not how I like to keep my cars, I like the hitory to meticulous as it's always a dealer issue - Oh you've missed a service it's not FSH - B0lox!!!!

Paul
    CUE 99T

15. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I'm seeing a running theme with people in/near scotland. Is there a particular dealer up there thats the problem?

16. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Ade have PMd you