South Beach Diet.....again. | FerrariChat

South Beach Diet.....again.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Kds, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Well.....it's week 11 and I have lost 45 pounds !! Cholestoral is normal again and none of my clothes fit properly any more. Watch out Walmart...here I come !!

I am never hungry with cravings for food, I sleep better and have more energy than I have ever had, so overall everything that has been said has turned out to be true. I am now well into phase three which is the maintenance phase, and even thought I'd like to lose another 5 pounds to get under the 200 mark, I don't know if it is possible.

You easily learn what you can and cannot do with your body on this program so the occasional situation where you "fall off the wagon" does not destroy your progress to date. The most incredible thing however, is that I do not miss or want those foods that contributed to being the way I was. In fact, more than anything, you'll find yourself going out of your way to avoid bad carbs as a night of pizza and beer followed by an ice cream or two will make you feel so bad the next 24 hours that you'll never do it again.

How's everybody else doing on this anyways ?

2. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

my aunt is a dietician for the navy and I asked her about all the latest fad diets and she said south beach was by far the best deal and most healthy and had the likelyhood of following long term as apposed to atkins and his grease wagon.

3. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    On week 8. I actually tried the South Beach Diet because of you. Thank you.

I've lost 16 pounds so far. Re: falling off the wagon... that happened to me last week. This week, I went back to Phase I for the first half of the week and now I'm right back on track. I feel great. Now I just have to start working out again.

Week 1 and 2... lost 10 pounds
    Week 3... lost 2
    Week 4... lost 2
    Week 5... no loss
    Week 6... lost 2
    Week 7... gained 4
    Week 8... lost 4 (so far)

I can't wait until I'm in the 170s again... almost there. 160s should follow. Gotta look good for my wedding! :)

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Jim....

That's good to hear....so far everyone who is in the dietary field has said the same things.

Mike.....

Good for you man !! I had a few weeks were no weight loss was seen on the scale....but I continued to visibly get smaller regardless. That may be happening to you as well. Now I want you to do something for me.....when you lose 25 pounds, go to Safeway or whatever, and pick up a 25 pound frozen turkey and walk around with it for a while. Best motivator you'll ever have !!!

It takes me about 3 days of phase one to correct an "error"......but since the last "tumble"......about 4 weeks ago actually......I won't even try it again. I ate bread like crazy, fettucine alfredo and cake, cookies...chocolate......etc...etc...well....that night and the next 24 hours were hell. I haven't strayed since due to the laxative effect of my ways.

5. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    :)

I hear ya. It's hard in an Italian family... lots of pasta. I just keep it all in check. Last weekend was tough because it was my Mom's birthday and then Saturday I went to a bar - bad food looks so good when you've had a few Manhattans!

I paid for it this week, but I keep getting complimented, and I'm staying motivated. Great idea with the turkey... gotta try that!

Hey, congrats on your weight loss too - that's a hell of a feat!

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

"Feat" !!! Well let's talk about "feet" for a minute.

You actually lose weight on your feet. I got some serious blisters from my cowboy boots and a pair of loafers I like as a result of my thinner feet sliding around inside them.

Dr. Scholls insoles and better sock selection fixed the cowboy boot problem........but the other shoes are worn out now anyways. I never expected that.

Stick with it man.....it really works.....my wife has lost about 18 pounds in the same time frame.......and she was starting out about 100 pounds less as well.

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Can you guys explain what this is?

I have been trying to lose about 10 lbs. I am currently 146 and need to get down to 136. Sadly all my extra weight is in my mid section :(

It is really hard with the stupid cafeteria food, but I try, however nothing seems to be working. I am playing racquetball twice a week.

Any help is appreciated.

8. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
  9. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    eating good is very importent but for everyone whos like I want to loose some more weight CARDIO its so simply. Everyone trys to avoid it because its work but hey if you want to be tone or loose some fat run/walk for 30mins 4 days a week. You see a huge difference!

10. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    FYI, Cardio is what it's about. My wife has lost over 70lbs and kept it off for over four years. She was featured in Fitness Magazine numerous times (this months issue being one). She is now an accomplished runner participating in any running event she can sign up for. It's a tough path but if anyone is interested I'll show ya some Before and after pix. I respect all who try!

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    South beach is good but not the best and Atkins is terrible. I prescribe to most of my patients a raw food diet, primarily. Lots of fruits, vegetables and nuts. Humans were not meant to eat meat or we would have short digetsive tracts and big canines like carnivores such as lions, wolfs and dogs. Meat putrifies in the gut and produces all of the acids that cause many modern diseases like arthritis. We were not meant for cooked food either. We have only been eating it for about the last 30-50,000 years. This is not long enought to become accustomed to it. We evolved over the last several millions years eating raw berries, nuts, plants and a little meat(I don't recommend this, except fish,sushi grade). It takes about 500,000 to 1 million years to get used to something like that. We are also the only animal in nature that drinks milk after it is weened. All other animals teach there young that this is not good for them. It produces large amounts of mucous in humans and is a breeding ground for bacteria. Thus the South Beach diet, from what I here is much more like this.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thank you. I went through and read it and looked at the meals they were suggesting, and am not understanding how they lose weight. I mean you are eating carbs, and cheese sticks and stuff like that and meat loaf.

Currently I am cutting back on carbs, but eat everything in moderation, like chicken breast and salad for lunch and meatloaf and some mashed potatoes for dinner. I have 2 meals a day, that is what we are allowed at the dorm.

However I have been UNABLE to drop the 10-12 lbs that I need, and I don't see how South Beach is so revolutionary that people are losing so much weight.

Please tell me what I am missing.

13. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Stop eating cooked foods(cook your meats if you must eat them) and i guarantee you will lose the weght. Cooked food take much longer to process and you hold much more water due to the fact that the foods are dehydrated from cooking. Once you eat 70-80% raw food you will hold less water and food in your gut= less weight. you must eat more often though.

14. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Go to rawfood.com to learn more about these principles. I am in no way affiliated with them. I use them and refer lots of patients to them.

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Hmm...well I live in a 13X13 feet prison...err dorm, so no way to cook myself. As far as raw food the cafeteria has a salad bar..so just eat salad for lunch and dinner? I can stop eating meat, as they have many vegetarian stuff. Would that be a good idea? I want to lose the weight before June, so that gives me full 2 months for 10 lbs.

By the way I sent you a PM, not sure if you got it . :)

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Ok thanks

17. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Didn't see the PM. Sorry, but check out the website and yo will see what proteins, fats and carbs you can get from raw food. Good luck. E-mail me at [email protected] if you need anything else.

18. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I agree. About 10 years ago, I was runing every single day come rain or shine. I was never thinner or happier. I was down to 180. Now I am quite overweight. It gets harder every day. I would love to run again, but have had asthma all my life. It seems to be getting much worse as I get older. Can't breathe worth a damn any more. sounds like I have to get on this South Beach Wagon. I have heard there is alot of cooking and prep. True?

19. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    In the book, it discusses good carbs vs bad carbs. It's not a matter of cutting out carbs all together or cutting out fat all together - it's a matter of knowing which ones you SHOULD and which ones you SHOULDN'T eat.

20. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

LAfun2....

Don't eat potatoes....pastas....breads..........starchy foods.....etc......

Do stage 1.......my sample day goes like this........

Breakfast: two eggs, one slice of swiss cheese, one slice of ham......and a handful of green/yellow/red peppers that were diced up so I can make an omelet with it. A glass of skim milk finishes it off.

Snack: 30 pistachios or peanuts.

Lunch: A large piece of pork/chicken/beef (certain cuts only) and a bunch of broccoli.

Snack: A piece of cheese or a sugar free Jello.

Dinner: A large steak/chicken breast/pork and a ceasar salad or green beans or black beans or mixed greens...etc. Strawberries for dessert.

I only drink water......or red/white wine......or milk.

Do something like that for 2 weeks and you'll lose 10-20 pounds mainly off your stomach. You'll feel great, you won't be craving food between meals and you'll be well on your way to success.

Cheat and you'll see the result of the cheating in 24 hours.

I also walk about 30 minutes each day in the am and at night as part of my commute to the office.

21. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    See, what's scary is that this makes so much sense, but the majority of modern medicine totally disagrees. We encourage kids to drink milk all the time. Raw foods are almost a thing of the past, in most households. And we wonder why everyone is sick.

Duh.

22. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thanks KDS ..I will try that. So one has to eat quite a few times a day, eh? Hmm that is my problem, I will see what I can do. THanks for the advice.

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It's a royal pain preparing the food and timing the meals 3 hours apart....but once you see the result....and remember the turkey trick.....you'll be onside.

There's no alcohol allowed in the first 2 weeks and beer is verboten forever !!!

Good luck !!

24. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thank you. Alcohol is not a problem, as I don't smoke or drink. However meal preparation is a problem, since I live in a dorm, and we get cafeteria food. Well if I can't lose the 10 lbs here, I will have to work at it in the summer at my own house.

By the way, nuts are good for you? I always thought they were fatty and bad for you.

25. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

There are good and bad fats......good and bad nuts.........good and bad carbs.......etc...etc....