Filling Out Profiles | FerrariChat

Filling Out Profiles

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jerrari, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Why aren't people doing this? Are they afraid that someone will track them down and stalk them? Are they just lazy? A combination of the two? I don't get it. Please enlighten me, as it's only common courtesy that others know who they are conversing with, rather than something like XBOX5Galactic7.

2. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I agree. It's nice to know, at least, their location and what types of cars interest them (or they own).

It's probably not right, but if someone doesn't fill out a profile I automagically assume they're a 12-year-old kid playing a role...

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heh guys take it easy it is not law yet. Even if they do fill out their profile it does not mean it is the truth.

Quite simply the rule about the internet is everybody is lying at least a little :D, and should only be taken seriously after some thought.

Returning to profiles it could only ever be taken seriously if Rob made us supply chassis numbers and then verified them ...

Pete

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I feel the same way, though at first I didn't fill mine out either (mostly because I don't own an F-car). A first name and a general location are harmless enough. This is a forum for people who own and/or appreciate Ferrari's, at least tell us what cars you have or want!

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    :):):) True, but it certainly is nicer to see some pretty generic info, such as a poster's location.

Call me back to the computer when F-Chat requires chassis numbers. Until then I'll be out cruising in my Enzo!

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#6 Ricambi America, Mar 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Good one Dan!! :)

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think I could ever require profiles to be filled out, but I like them and we should encourage them. Threads like this maybe encourage people to fill them out. The software is good about encouraging users too as when you register it gives you a link and recommends that you fill it out.

You can edit your profile at...

User Options - User Control Panel - Edit Profile

9. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Lots of people want to remain anonymous or atleast shield their assets. This is something the internet allows - and why a community like this exists.

10. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you Rob, I didn't know how. I just updated mine.

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Good post Jerry. I agree with you 100%. Often feel a bit of frustration when I respond to a "3"-post user asking for help on some topic, when that person hasn't taken a minute to update his/her profile, and provide some sense of who they are, what they own, and which part of the country they live in. I think filling out a profile is a simple thing to do, and yet it makes a world of difference by providing a "tangible" handle on the user. Personally, I'm much more inclinded to comment/provide assitance to those with filled out profiles than those without.

12. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I "claim" to have an 82 Mondial. You KNOW I'm telling the truth.
    Really, though, filling out profiles would be nice.

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    first name / general location / general car info ( fcar owner or not) should be a REQUIREMENT to post. when we finalize the " pay to play" a profile for a subcribed member will help set them off from the non subscribed members. yes, there are those who have reasons to be more private and shield thier assets or families. IMHO its impossible to be in a "COMMUNITY" as a memebr of any value and not end up communicating who you are, where you are and what you like, ferrari related. if someone is so paranoid or special due to thier past or assets then thay have no business exposing themsevles to a security risk we know as a internet chat forum. the purpose of this forum is to share and learn from each other( debate!). those with no profiles are like bieng stuck in a room with someone who wont talk to the rest of the room, yet they want to be heard and have all thier questions aswered.
    i am not an fcar owner. so what? you dont know what i have in the bank nor what i can or can not afford to buy. it should be clear that i am into cars and very much enjoy the thrills of both ferrari and ( gasp) some lamborghini models. ownership of both is a long term goal of mine. " WE" are and can be a "COMMUNTITY" not just a bunch of words on a screen.
    flame suit on. michael

14. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I totally agree. It would be nice if everyone fill out his (or hers :)) profile...
    But then again, everyone can decide this for him/herself... I also like the avatar so you can regognize people faster while browsing the threads...

Greets, Alexander

15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi all,

thats a very good question & post!

I have had the same thoughts and droped the following post on 03-10-2004 in the Europe section:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=155959#post155959

just a note or remark:

Please feel free to fill our your profile!

Its NOT a must but highly appreciated. We all would like to know to whom we are talking here. Its easlier and makes it more personal. Still and all about the COMMUNITY.
    For sure not all & everything is important for the fchat and www., but please let us know more about you & your passion.
    Remembering the old days when the European board has been started with just 5 - 8 users....everybody who joined the board introduced himself in a post. Of course impossible today with our growing board.

The European FerrariChat.com..munity is NOT just an online forum!!!!
    -We are real persons & drivers.
    -We know each others (most of us here & for the future hopefully everybody)
    -We organize meetings
    -We have drive outs together
    -We have together fantastic dinners
    -We have private contacts & phone calls for any advice & help

....and we would like to make it easy for each new member to join this wonderful community.

Thanks for your time to read this and any comments are very welcome.
    Once again, its not a must!!!

16. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I'm glad that Rob posted instructions again for updating profiles. I might be the dumbest guy on the board but I like to think it's just that I hadn't taken the time to figure out how to update my profile.

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Agreed, there should be minimal requirements for a profile.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I got ChuckEbaby to update his by asking, and he put in a nice pic!

I think it helps getting to know real people, as they enter Fchat.

On the other hand, some folks (Old Guy) don't bother me at all, because the validity of their knowledge is in the post. So I respect his privacy.

It's mostly the smack talkin' young kids that bother me, there seems to be more of those as summer approaches.

Speedy308, A real guy, in a Tune Town world!

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

What Speedy said..............

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for the second, Tony! LOL!

21. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Howdy...I updated my profile and decided to add one of those avatars (after reading through the posts here). Is it set up by default so that I can't see my avatar, just the ones being used by you all? Just curious...thanks!

Cheers,
    Travis

22. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    You are supposed to be able to see your avatar. You may have it set up as the picture in your profile.

I agree about the avatar and the profile. With names being so similar it is good to see an avatar and know it is
    XBOX5Galactic7 instead of XBOX7Galactic5.

For those who are worried about "cyber-stalkers":

You throw a dart at a regional map and claim the smallest city in the county where the dart lands as your home. (Regional so that it is somewhat accurate, accurate enough.)

You do not claim your your large collection of Fcars, but say that you are looking for an entry level classic in the near future.

You make the occasional "accident" like suggesting a carfax to ensure the Enzo is real before purchase.

List your occupation as the flakest in your profession.

Have your VP of Public Affairs' daughter choose your avatar.

23. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Some people must be hiding something or are insecure.

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    LOL great cartoon! In my case, only an idiot would lie about owning a Europa TC!! LOL

Ken

25. ART360

ART360 Guest

I haven't been able to put a picture up on my profile. I'd like to use the motorcycle shot, but its apparently too big. You might remember that i used it before, its the one of me getting run over at Sears Point. Can anyone show me how?

Art