Le Belle Macchine d'Italia (Pocono / Pennsylvania) | FerrariChat

Le Belle Macchine d'Italia (Pocono / Pennsylvania)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I've seen the website... but still have many questions about this event...

1. Is this really the largest Italian Automotive event in North America?
    2. How many cars are typically there, total? How many are Ferraris?
    3. How many participate in the track event?
    4. How many run sessions do you get each day?
    5. How sluggish are the run groups? Will experienced track drivers be stuck in traffic all day?
    6. The Drivers School on the Concorso day... is that instead of the Concorso... or is that just like an hour meeting at the end of the day to go over track basics?
    7. How good are the meals? Gourmet stuff... or McDonald's quality?
    8. Is the event worth the price tag?
    9. Is the event worth driving up from Texas?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive been to it at least 6 times. I would drive up from TX for this. You see great cars the hotel where you stay is gorgeous, the track is VERY fast, I see near 170 mph down the back straight in my 512TR & probably over 180 mph in the 512TR race car. The food is pretty good. You can be guaranteed to see a bunch of F40s, TRs, maybe a n F50 or an Enzo, once in a while a nice old classic comes out. Every year this event is near the top of my list, I already signed up :)

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I'll be going to the concorso at Skytop. I was very impressed 2 years ago. I'd also like to see the cars at the track, but was told it wasn't open to the public. A phone call last year suggests that may not be true anymore.

On the same note, I found this link;
    http://www.fanucci.com/PoconoCSD/index.html from May 5th 2003.
    it lists a Pocono run run & concorse as well for DeTomaso, Corvette, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini. Unfortunately, I can't find anything else about it. I tried calling the restraunt, but the number has been disconnected.

Anybody have any more information on it?
    thanks

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dont know if its the biggest but its Big
    usually at least 100 exotics
    at least 4 runs a day, 30 min each & last day is best for track, might get 1/2 day of track :)
    dont know about the drivers school question

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    That is the competition to the Belle Macchine event, well not really since its held in a different month but the 2 guys have a rivalry

I go to both events. The event you listed hear is a little smaller bcus its newer but that just means you get more track time. great bunch of guys :)

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I was at the Skytop Lodge years ago, for a lawyer's convention. It rained the entire time i was there, and the building and outlying property remained constantly shrouded in fog. The place had a "Shining" quality about it, old stone, wood panelling, everything felt more than a little dated, not necessarily in the sense of old world luxury; more like someplace time simply forgot. This became particularly true when the locals showed up for the late afternoon punch/cookies and dance; the "band" had those old-fashioned enclosed music stands with some logo on them, and everybody danced, waltz fashion, to music that was vintage Lawrence Welk.
    The dining room had a sign out front prohibiting the wearing of "faddish" clothing.
    Needless to say, I stayed in my room alot of the time, but did admire the fire axe bolted to the wall out in the hallway.

7. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    There's an ad for it in the FCA News Bulletin for April.
    Lists the link http://pocono-csd.com/ but that doesn't work for me.
    Lists the phone number 609-397-8866.
    Looks very similar but oddly includes Corvettes with the other Italian marques.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Brian, do you think you'll have your car by then? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If he books this event, then definitely NOT ;)

Pete

10. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Hey, none of that! Only positive thoughts!!

(The car is on the water! ;) )

Knock on wood or something...

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    thats because these are track guys & not sticklers for just italian stuff. You get a lot of exotic Italian stuff but a few Vettes & maybe a Viper or 2 thrown in

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Yes, the only event that is larger is Concorso Italiano. On average over 350 Italian automobiles attend the event over the 3 days.

We average 130 over the weekend

average between 100 to 120 drivers

minimum of 5 sessions per day

The track is run by FCA National Track Chairman Bob Coates. There is no one better. Pocono is a very big track that can you can run 6 wide down the front stratight

The Driver's school is after the Concorso conducted by Professional Instructors (SRE) It last about 1 to 2 hours.

Skytop's meals are very good quality

I guess that depends on what you are used to, compared to other events
    it is a down right bargin

We usually have anywhere from 5 to 15 people from Texas each year.

If there are any other questions I would be more than happy to answer.

Joe Corbacio
    Italian Cars
    Organizers of Le Belle Macchine d'Italia

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Brian,

Can't speak for the event having never run with them, but I can vouch for what Will said about Pocono, especially if they run the long course.

One of the last events I did with the Challenge car was Pocono and I went their to see how fast the 355 would run on the banks and back straight.

Only time I have ever pulled near redline in 6th GEAR !!!!!!!!!!!

Speedometer was disconnected but I ran bumper to bumper with a 360 C who claimed he was doing close to 180 mph.

Here are a few clips of the banking and straights. You are going close to 130 on the banking alone. It's a rush.

http://jpkofod.lunarpages.com/Fchat_Videos/POC2.mpg (big clip with several laps)

http://jpkofod.lunarpages.com/Fchat_Videos/POC3.mpg (much smaller clip, half lap)

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

14. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Since I doubt you get 20 total sessions in a day, I assume that means you are running 3 classes? Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced?

And given that, each session has 35 to 40 cars on track? True?
    (That seems like a lot, but I guess if the track is huge, it may not be a problem at all. OTOH, given the track allows the kind of speeds Jon is talking about, that reduces the "effective" size.)

Were my guesses accurate? Just trying to get a good idea of what to expect.

So, this is a "classroom" type of school... not a on-track thing. Right? Is it geared for the novices? Or is it geared to bring everybody up to speed on the track?

Thanks a lot for the answers!! Its great to get the facts from the source!!

15. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    One other question: Any idea the dates for the 2005 event? Is it always the last weekend in May?

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Here is the 2003 track schedule. '04 will be similar.

7:30 AM Drivers' Meeting

8:10 Blue
    8:30 Red
    8:50 White
    9:10 Green
    9:30 Blue
    9:50 Red
    10:10 White
    10:30 Green
    10:50 Blue
    11:10 Red
    11:30 White
    11:30 Lunchtime Touring Drivers' Mtg
    11:50 Green
    12:10 Lunch
    12:10 Lunchtime Touring
    12:30 TBA
    1:10 Blue
    1:30 Red
    1:50 Green / White
    2:10 TBA
    2:30 Blue
    2:50 Red
    3:10 Green / White
    3:30 TBA
    3:50 Blue
    4:10 Red
    4:30 Green / White
    4:50 Red/Blue

Correct it takes place at the Concorso site. We also do Tech Inspection during the Concorso. The classroom usually get split up into beginer/novice
    and interm/advanced

Joe

17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

The event takes place the last weekend in June. '05 will be the same, the weekend before the 4th.

Joe

18. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yeah, June is the 6th month. ;)

I have one or two conflicts this year... but have it on my calendar for next year. Sounds like a great event!

19. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Joe, what events are open to non-owners? I'd like to check out the track event to spectate? Is that OK and is there a fee?

20. cab7104

cab7104 Karting

Mar 25, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I was interested in spectating as well.....unless they want me to take my stock VW on the track. Let me know what the deal is with that. Pocono can have some wicked fog, I have attended a few races there of various classes, and twice you could only see the front stretch from the bleachers. At any rate it looks like it would be a fun event to attend, and some good pictures could be had from it. Thanks again.

Craig

21. timgos

timgos Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Count me in as another person that would like to spectate at the track. In the other thread about this event (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18336) it was mentioned that you could buy tickets for the track event at the Concours ticket table. I'll be heading down there either way and if the track event is open to spectators then that will be a nice bonus.

22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

Here is an incentive to clear the calendar. Lamborghini will be sending their Legendary Test Driver Valentino Balboni. (The guy from that famous 60 minutes segment on the Countach many years ago that scared the **** out of Morley Safer).

He along with Automobili Lamborghini CEO Dott. Greco (Former FNA President) will be offering rides for charity at Pocono International Raceway. That's right for a charitable donation you can ride with a Factory Test Driver at speed on a racetrack.

I rode with him a few years back in a Diablo 6.0. He took me into Turn 1 pushing 170 mph. And that wasn't the scary part; he then proceeded to take the turn right through the middle of the bank. Wow, but just a casual day at the office to him.

It is truly the ride of a lifetime.

Joe

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

The track is only open to registered participants. Register for the event and you gain access to all activities.

Joe