"Not to miss" destinations while in So Cal? | FerrariChat

"Not to miss" destinations while in So Cal?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by sjb509, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

To everyone in So Cal,

This weekend my wife and I are going on vacation to Los Angeles until next Wednesday. We've never been to the area before, and I have been researching some of the tourist things to do while we are there. Obviously there are LOTS of things to do, but does anyone have any suggestions about things that are "don't miss" attractions?

We'll probably do some typical tourist things like a tour of the stars' homes, Venice Beach, Farmer's Market, Hollywood sign, etc., but are there any "hidden" treasures or restaurants that locals could advise?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well Steve, it looks like the Off Topic thread is doing pretty well. Thought I'd try and jumpstart this one with the SoCal guys and gals.

First off, I agree with the post-er in Off Topic that Gladstones in Malibu is quite a pleasant restaurant. If you like seafood, you'll be greatly pleased. And, while you're there you can check out the rest of Malibu and the beach. Very nice over there.

If you're into art, as some others have suggested, the Getty is in the area. Also, you can check out LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) on Wilshire. They have some great exhibitions at times. http://www.lacma.org/ Right down the street is the Peterson Automotive Museum, which I'm sure might tickle your fancy. http://www.petersen.org/ In that area, you can check out the town driving down Wilshire...Rodeo, Beverly Hills, etc. Lot's of restaurants...perhaps some others have recommendations. There's also the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena. http://www.nortonsimon.org/home_flash.asp

Downtown, if you're into classical music, the new Disney Concert Hall is spectacular, so I hear (haven't yet been, unfortunately.) Or, you can see a play at the theatres http://www.musiccenter.org/ I like downtown a lot, that's why I'd recommend driving around over there, perhaps checking out what's going on at the music center. Maybe lunch or dinner at the Bonaventure. There's a McCormick's over there also. Sporting events at Staples Center maybe.

If you're here on a Saturday, you can go to the Crystal Cove car show, which you might have heard of, and meet some of the local Fchatters and see some fantastic cars. Look for the Crystal Cove threads for pictures. Could also check out the Orange County beaches while you're over there, though I'm not too familiar with that area.

Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is a nice walking strip mall with lots of shopping and eateries. Complete with street artists and performers of course.

As mentioned, the Sunset Blvd. scene might be worth checking out, if you want to have a night on the town.

I stand by what I said before about the beaches in the South Bay. I love it. If you think you might check out that area, let me know, and I'll give you a rundown. The Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan piers are packed with shops and eating. A mostly local type atmosphere.

And, of course, eat at In N Out Burger!!!

Anyone else want to chime in?

3. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    for other things to do....

if you're here on a Sunday... Go to the Rock Store in the hills of Mulholland.
    it is a biker restaurant where diverse showings of bikes hang-out... to get there, you'd have to drive through a stretch of Malibu beach.

for seafood... live lobster or crab... go to Redondo Beach pier
    there is a Korean owned restaurant that serves the lobster or crab steamed.

for authentic Chinese food... Downtown LA China Town
    for authentic Japanese food (sushi or noodles)... Downtown LA Little Tokyo
    for authentic Korean BarBQ..... west of Downtown La Korea Town
    all these places are a few miles from each other

for Persian Middle Eastern food (Kabobs)... I'd recommend Shamshiri in Westwood, West LA

for shopping LA boutique style... Melrose Ave... West Hollywood Area

for night cruising/dining/drinking, go through Sunset Blvd. at west hollywood the area is called Sunset Plaza. it is a great restaurant row... you will be passing through House of Blues, The Whiskey, and various other LA landmarks.

for automotive eye candies for sale.... pass by Black/Black on La Cienega Blvd south of Beverly Hills Area, Lambo and Ferrari of Bev Hills are both on Wilshire Blvd., By Design is on Sunset Blvd

Gene

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well there is no fun like free fun.

Free spots to see

1) Go to Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale. They have a HUGE painting of the crucifixion. It is the largest religious painting in the U.S. Also many movies stars are burried there.

2) The Getty in Santa Monica, as someone already mentioned. You cannot see the whole place in one day. They have loads and loads of art. It is right on the hill over looking Los Angeles and the Ocean. You will only have to pay $5 for parking.

3) The Museum of Science and Industry in Los Angeles.

4) Zuma Beach in Malibu, made famous by Bay Watch. About 15-20 minutes north of Gladstones. Parking there is a mad house. Or you could go to a nice little beach called Leo Carrillo, about 10 minutes further. They have some nice tide pools, and a little walk through cave, that has been in many movies. It goes from one beach to the other. It's a good picture spot.

5) Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, is a fun place to just roam around. You'll see plenty of expensive rides there too. I like to go get an ice cream cone at the Thrifty's on the next block over.

Well there you have it for my list of FREE fun.

5. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    If you make it to Newport Beach, take the Balboa Ferry. Cheap but great.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Have you ever been to the county art museum for the free jazz on Friday nights?

DL

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    damn, you guys covered pretty much all of it. i have nothing more to add other than this post-whoring reply

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Actually I have Darth. But it was a few years ago when they first started doing it. I haven't gotten around to going again.

Oh yeah a few other things. While you are doing the Hollywood thing, you have to go eat at The Old Spaghetti Factory on Sunset Blvd. They are very reasonably priced, in a nice atmosphere. I just finished eating there on my lunch break today. They are open for lunch and dinner during the week. Dinner only on Saturday, and lunch and dinner on Sunday. If you wanna go to a nice night club, the Sunset Room is good. Also city walk at Universal Studios is pretty cool. You only have to pay for parking to go to the City Walk. Camacho's, on the City Walk, has some nice Mexican food.