Organ donation / cremation & burial | FerrariChat

Organ donation / cremation & burial

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I just got my new license. It has a sticker to donate organs, etc upon death. I am not sure if I want to sign up for this. Furthermore, I am not sure if I want to be cremated upon death.

Organ donation: I am not sure I want to be all cut up after death. I know its
    a good thing to do, but I have a problem with the thought.

Creamation: Part of me says that part of me may be 'alive' when I am dead. Burning does not sound favorable Vs a nice coffin (which will probably be my 308!).

What are your thoughts on all of this?

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sounds pretty bleak to me!

DL

3. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Yea, are you planning on going somewhere? The organ donation thing has me thinking it's a scam, especially after the UCLA thing. Why should someone else profit off of this and not the family or some other designated beneficiary? I shouldn't be alarmed though as this is a free market society and dieing is as much a business as anything else.

As far as what I would choose, I'd probably go for the old ground. Jeez, hate to have to plan ahead like that though. It's better I do it then someone else.

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Maybe when you croak, the DMV gets the money from your organs and uses it to fill potholes?

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Peter,

Send $5.00 to Sacramento! They will fix your street!

DL

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Now THATS funny!

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I signed up for organ donation to save a life after I'm done using them. I suppose it depends on your philosophical/spiritual outlook on life , death, & the physical body. I know that I am more than just a physical body & I have a lot of experiences on a non physical spiritual plane of existance so leaving the body behind doesnt scare me so much.

I think space burial like they did w Gene Rodenberry's ashes sounds pretty cool :)

Tibetans have a sky burial where trained people carve up the body on a mountain top & feed it to vultures. A bit gruesome but it definately leaves no doubt about our impermanent physcial existance

8. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Vultures have been feeding on me for years!

9. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    PeterS: "Organ donation: I am not sure I want to be all cut up after death. I know its a good thing to do, but I have a problem with the thought."

Bad news - unless you die in the immediate care of a doctor you will probably be autopsied; no organ left untouched!

UCLA was bodies donated for research I believe; organs need to be removed ASAP to be viable for use as transplants.

I've seen a lot of dead people (worked in mortuary in college followed by 13 years patrol); believe me, there ain't nuthin 'alive' about 'em! But I fully understand how you feel though, which is why I also have reservations about cremation.

I have my DL marked to give up any organ that may be useable.

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I just wrote on my license that when I die, they need to take Carbon's organs!

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I would rather not take up space in a grave/coffin somewhere. It just doesn't seem natural at all. My organs & tissues will either be reused by doctors, be decomposed in the earth like all dead things typically do, be burned to a crisp in an oven (eh.. chilling), but hopefully not be used for necrophiliacs that want to marry me, provided they get a license for it (jab from another thread).

Having a coffin might seem comforting, but I won't know it. And even if I turn out to be some hugely famous person for who knows what reason, I still wouldn't want people to worship my gravesite. For families visiting, that would only last so many years. Maybe one or two generations at most. That's it. Sorry, not a price I want to pay to take up space in this world.

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Gentlemen PLEASE! For a bunch of well-educated, successful professional I'm surprised!

Here's a fact: after you are dead you will not need your parts!

Will they save a life? NO! They are likely to save SEVERAL lives! Lets see, 2 kidneys, that's 2 lives; a heart+/- lungs, that's another; a pancreas may not save a life but it sure can make a life worth living; 2 corneas, that's 2 less blind people; skin to help several burn victims, bone for bone grafts, several less lame; and the list goes on and on.

The flap about the profiteering on organs? Despicable and criminal and not usual. Most doctors and hospitals are honest and truly help these folks.

Think about it this way, a recipient gives their whole body to keep a little part of you alive!

I have seen a lot of suffering for lack of organs, and many suitable organs go in the ground mostly because of ignorance and superstition.

Remember: THAT WHICH SEPERATES MAN FROM THE LESSER ANIMALS IS LITTLE; MOST PEOPLE THROW IT AWAY...

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I really don't think I'll care what they do with me because frankly...I'm dead. The whole expensive coffin in the ground thing seems like a waste of money that could go to somebody else Ferrari so I don't think I'll go that route. I guess cremation is a good route because I don't take up to much space. Organ donors can have any organ they want from me but I wouldn't want the liver if I was any of you. Just as long as I don't end up on display at a state fair or something it really doesn't matter to me.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    parts IS parts. ( hee hee) when i am dead, chop me up so someone else can have some fun. burn / test the rest. i will be dead, soul is gone so who cares about the box the soul was in? hell recycle me and put me into FERRARI parts!!!! there is a cool thought!!!! talk about haunted cars and gremlins!!!!

edit: I AM THE CARREAPER AFTER ALL!

15. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Most people don't like the idea of organ transplants until they or someone they care about needs one. The organs have to come from someplace.

So, really the question that you should be answering is, "Are you willing to forego ANY chance of an organ transplant to you or someone you care about?" If not, then you better give some thought to where such organs might best come from.

Seems to me that we should sign up to BOTH donate our organs and to receive someone else's organs. If we're not willing to donate, then why should be be able to receive someone else's?

Thousands upon thousands of people die every year waiting for a transplant. Most never signed a consent to donate theirs!

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I take the "kilngon' approach to death:

The body is but a vessle, when it is lifeless, dispose of it as you see fit.

I prefer to be cremated and have my ashes scattered to the wind during the le Mans race, or the Isle of Man race.