250GTE vs 330GT 2+2 vs 365GT 2+2 | FerrariChat

250GTE vs 330GT 2+2 vs 365GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by DBR328&330, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I want a classic V12 front engine Ferrari for not alot of money and to take the wife and kids out. I am leaning towards a 330 series 2. Of the three I think the 330 looks the best.

Which would you choose and why?

I am particularly interested in reliability and maintainance as well as driving pleasure. Assume the car bought is mechanically sound to begin with. I understand the 330 is pretty bullett-proof and the 365 has suspension issues, for example.

Thanks,

Dan

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, interesting options.

I would choose the 365GT 2+2 because:

- I like the restrained looks.
    - I like the 4 cam and 6 carb excitement!!!
    - I like the fact that it has independent rear suspension.
    - I believe the rear suspension problems are only to do with the self levelling shocks ...

The other cars are definitely simplier and thus probably simplier to maintain, but they are also older ... and probably rustier (if that is possible ;)).

You should probably check out www.tomyang.net as that site is dedicated to the older Ferrari models and has many owners posting on its forum.

Pete

3. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    How about the 330 America?
    Late 250 GTE bodystyle with the 4.0 litre 330 engine :)
    If you can find one in the first place...

Difficult to choose between those models you mentioned, the 330 GT and 365 GT have independent rear supsension which makes them far more comfortable than the 250 models. Queen Mary (365) is one very big, heavy car, very nice styling.

4. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Depends how much you want to spend to acquire it, and Keep it ?

IMO - 330 GT for Practicallity (Head) reasons, 250 GTE for Real (Heart) reasons !

Good Luck,

Steve

5. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I'd consider a 330 America but I may have to look for a long time. I dont think there is a real big difference in price among the three, right? What would be a reasonable price for a mechanically sound car in driver (not show) condition?

6. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    I myself understand your pain. I am seriously thinking about getting a 2+2. With another kid on the way, my weekend rides with my son will stop since I can not fit 2 kids and me into the 308.

I really love the look of the 330 2+2. That is what I am thinking about, hard.

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Having had a 250 GTE and a 67 GTC... I think I would go for the 250 GTE (or 330 America as mentioned earlier).

Couple of points - the 250 GTE had the 3 Series of production of roughly 300 each series (50 330 America's). Due to many of these being used for Parts or 250 California conversions - there is estimated 1/2 the volume left as original... (and probably 1/2 of these in Good original or restored condition).

I bought my 250 GTE due to it's better return.

If you look at the 250 GTE - the average year over year gain has been about 5.5%

330 GT 2+2 - 3.96%

365 GT 2+2 - .46%

Having driven them all - I probably liked the 330 GT 2+2 the best (or 330 America) as far as performance and features - but considering they are all 60's cars and have no or little creature comforts - just the pleasure of the drive - what your usage will be would also be a consideration... Like if you want air conditioning - a Series 1 250 GTE would not be your best choice.

Each of these you are looking at are relatively easy to get parts for - at this time - so you can keep them original (if that is important to you).

A couple of places for some good research would be QV500.com and the Ferrari Market Letter.

If you are interested... (Not getting paid for this - just metioning it Since I have been in your shoes :)

I sold my 250 GTE back to Mike Westrick (collector and dealer) at Exoticperformanceplus.com - I traded it for his 355 Spider - since I had the 67 GTC and the 250 GTE - I wanted something newer to drive, etc. Take a look at his site. The 250 I sold back is completely restored inside and out by Baird Wolfe, Mike and Myself over the last several years - and Mike is selling it for 54K - which is what I sold it back to him at - I originally bought it for around 50K.

I also have detailed Pictures of this one if you want more info - just speaking cause I owned it and put a lot of work into it - knowing every nook and cranny of this car.

Hope this helps,

Rich Wallace

8. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #8 richard_wallace, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few pics just for fun :) This was my 61 GTE Series I
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Dan,
    How are you doing?

I haven't driven any of these beasts but my mechanic (Mike Dopudja) has a lot of experience and he likes the 250GTE best. It has the imortal 250 motor and is lighter handling. A 330 America would be great. Mike had a great dark red one in his shop a while ago I would have bought in a heartbeat, but not for sale. For what it's worth, I think the 250 (& America) are much better looking than the later cars.

Whatcha been doin' with that GTB lately?

Dave

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    250 GTE has the looks. 365 has the most creature comforts and independent rear suspension, the 330 is somewhere in between, most unassuming.
    People always ask if my GTE is the James Bond car. It has that classic 60s look with all the chrome and Borranis. One could argue that the 365 would be easier to drive and have more power on the interstate due to the bigger motor, but the 250 has a lighter feel to it.
    Don't count too much on appreciation, they will always be 2+2s. Of the three, the 250 / 330 America will probably look better, if past trends are any guide. They seem popular in Europe at the moment, used often in rallies.

PM me is get the 250, I will send you some more info.

luke

11. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#11 Bryan, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Past prices are no guarantee of future performance.

Also and more importantly, don't buy a Ferrari for investment. Buy it because it's a car.

Richard, by the way, STUNNING GTE.

12. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Thanks guys-- keep it coming.

I really dont have any interest in future appreciation per se. This is for fun. Therse old cars will take care of themselves.

Richard, thanks for your advice and pictures. It almost looks too nice to be an almost (fair weather) daily driver, but I may look into it.

Dave nice to hear from you. You too seem to be in the GTE camp along with Luke (thanks too!) and the others. Still loving the GTB!

I'll look more into the GTE tonite. Big question- Which will give less mechanical problems, the 330 or 250 or are they both pretty good?

13. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

None of these three are inherently that much more or less reliable. The much bigger factor will be the condition of the particular car you buy. If you like all three roughly the same, then buying a better condition unit of a normally lower priced model will work in your favor.

14. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Richard - Just sent you an email to your private address.

Darren.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hi, Dan.

I was going through the same thought process recently. I finally decided on a late Series II 330 2+2. It has air conditioning, great styling, a strong (but still simple) 4 liter engine.

Personally, I don't like the floor-hinged pedals and 4-speed of the GTEs or Americas. I do, however, like their exterior styling.

I don't like the 365's size or weight, but I love the interior, particularly the dash--and the electric rear quarter windows.

The 330 really has it all, in my opinion. The size is right, and the rear seats are actually usable. As I said in an earlier post, it has the smells, sounds and speed of a true Ferrari.

Here's my car:

-K1- likes this.
  16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    In my opinion, the roofline actually looks better than a GTC.

Good luck in whatever you choose. You can't go too far wrong, if you buy a good car!

--Matt

17. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Smiles,

Absolutely gorgeous car!!!!! After doing more research, this is exactly what I want. The S2 has all the good updates (valve seals, A/C etc) yet is still a full classic.

If you dont mind (by private e mail if you wish) can you tell me what is its condition, needs, what to look for, did you get a PPI, how long did it take to find etc. Also what price range am I looking at?

A light metallic colored 330 GT 2+2 series 2 is exactly what I want!!

Thanks,
    Dan

[email protected]

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Daniel,

I would recommend the 330 series 2. The extra liter of displacement and 5 speed transmission are very nice to have. I've had mine for a few years and quite a few miles, it still makes me smile just to go near it! If you are looking for a driver, make sure you find a car that has been run regularly recently. It can be a time consuming and/or expensive effort getting one sorted even if it looks good cosmetically.

Buy a mechanically done "20 footer" you'll have a blast driving it and you will not be worried about it when you stop for lunch or one of the kids puts fingerprints all over it. People will only criticize the extra “patina” at a car show.

Good Luck,

Art S. 7919

PS. Don't use the clock as a reference for quality repairs. I've had mine rebuilt but in the car it still only works when it feels like it.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Art has good advice. (And my clock doesn't work either!)

20. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Um, Pete,

The 365GT 2+2 has a 4.4 liter single overhead cam engine & three 2-barrel Webers. Maybe you confused it with a 365GTC4 model.

KevFla

21. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    As far as I'm concerned, you got the best of the 2+2 series cars. Mine was virtually identical but a Euro model without air. It was a pleasure to drive and had no negative points about it.
    I've either owned, driven and/or serviced all the 2+2s from early 250's to the 400GT/A and the single headlight 330 is still my favorite. Mine was, as I recall # 8125 but I'm not positeve. I will look it up soon.

SUGGESTION: If you've not already done so, inspect the V/A screws - if there is the sightest wear, change them. Besides tearing up the tops of the valve stems, they tend to break. How do I know? Happened to my GTC - had to repace one guide, four valves and, of course, I replaced all the V/A screws.
    Bob Z

22. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Have you driven one of these Dan? Very different from a 308/328 kind of car. I'm partial to the 330s, but a super nice 250GTE like the one posted would be great too. There's a local fchat guy with a beautiful 365 too.
    I like the 330 because of the lack of extra stuff that turns out to be the least robust parts of these cars. The mechanical part tends to be great.

23. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Hi Dan,

I chose to go the 330 2+2 route, and love the character of the four headlight 330 more than the two. Get the best you can afford - overstated, but it's still true.

Fwiw, here is what I did to find mine:
    http://www.jb330gt.com/Purchase.htm

The 365 2+2 is great, but I just didn't have the room for one. Everyone has had good advise (although the rear shocks on the 330 are not an issue, only the self levelers on the 365 onward), just choose what will work for you given your mechanical or spending ability.

Do read Tom Yang's site, and Kerry's too, as they clearly spell out what it's like to live with and really enjoy one of these fantastic cars.

Best of luck,
    Jonathon

24. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Where do you guys find the classics for sale? They are alot harder to come by then the late models.

Also, I would imagine rust is the silent killer on all these cars, which is sad to think about.

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Once you know the secret password the old ones will reveal themselves.

Art S.