Bypass filters in Columbo 4 liter engines | FerrariChat

Bypass filters in Columbo 4 liter engines

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by UroTrash, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Here's a basic question that I could not find in the archives.

I understand that the paired oil filters in the 4 liter Columbo engines (as in the 330 GTC) are not identical, one being a bypass filter with a finer particle size.

Can you still get the 2 types of filters; from what source? I also understand the commonly found Fram filter has a bursting strength of only 200 psi and the specs call for 500 psi. What do you guys do?

Related to this, I read warnings against multigrade oils in these old engines, any thoughts?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I offer up this information because it might answer some of your questions, not because I claim to know anything about the subject. This is from my old FAF catalog of 1975, which has a lot of useful material in its pages.

3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Thanks, I did not have the lower part of that. I wonder are thses bypass filters still available or do people use two identical filters? thanks again.

4. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    The very early GTCs used two separate filters - then switched to two identical. Do not substitute - use one full flow and one bypass.
    To date, the absolute best filters I have ever used on my GTC (160,000+ miles) are the Baldwin B-253 full flow.
    I suggest you do this - use the B-253 for the full flow, then check with Baldwin - they have a replacement for the bypass filter. It's in thier cross-reference list.
    I've seen every filter made from the inside out and in my opinion, Baldwins is absolutely the best. In second place is Wix.
    Also, regarding oil, I've tried them all and the one that performs best, especially in my high-mileage GTC, is Kendall 20W50 GT-1 Turbo. The rate of consumption was cut in half.
    I'll rebuild the engine when it gets to 200,000!
    Contact me if you have any questions on GTCs - I've had mine (#10795) since 1975 and learned a great deal about this wonderful machine.
    Bob Zambelli

5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Bob, THANK YOU! I guess 30 years of ownership counts for something!

Do you or have you had trouble with the valve guides? I would assume from the SN it is a later car with the improved valve guides.

Do you have cable clutch linkage?

Ever any drive shaft vibration issues?

Thanks for your expertise...

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    #6 Bob Zambelli, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bob, THANK YOU! I guess 30 years of ownership counts for something!
    30 really great years with the car!

Do you or have you had trouble with the valve guides? I would assume from the SN it is a later car with the improved valve guides.
    Other than normal wear, I've had no problem. I replaced the seals at around 120,000 miles.
    The only engine problem I had was when the V/A screw broke in the rear cylinder of the right hand head. The valve crashed the piston, broke the guide and bent both valves. Because some debris went into the adjacent cylinder, the valves there were also damaged. So, I replaced one guide and four valves. No problem other than the cost!!! Fortunately, no damage to the piston.

Do you have cable clutch linkage? No - only the very last cars and, as far as I know, all the 365 GTCs.

Ever any drive shaft vibration issues? Never.

If you locate a GTC that interests you, I will gladly do a PPI for my expenses.

Bob

Thanks for your expertise...[/QUOTE]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wow! Thats REALLY nice of you. May i ask where you live?

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I compiled this list based on Fram models that were printed in the FAF publication: "Ferrari Tuning Tips & Maintenance Techniques" (now published by Veloce Press) and cross-referenced them to the Baldwin catalogue...

Fram -> Baldwin

C-30 -> P42 (cartridge type, early V-12's)
    PB50 -> B50
    PH3 -> B2
    PH2815 -> B253

I should add two more notes:

275 two-cam, 330GT engines (after 1965) and all 365's used two Fram PH2804 filters. These I believe are the non-stand-pipe versions of the PH2804-1 that were used on 308's and the B253 could be used in place of these.

I have written down another note on that page that Baldwin B254 filters replace Ferrari by-pass filters P/N:15181. Unfortunately, that's all I wrote and don't have any info what that by-pass filter is used for. Please check the Baldwin site for more info and don't hesitate to ask one of their tech reps for info. I have always received great info from these guys and very quickly I might add. That's why I always buy Baldwin - great products, great service.

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Ooops! I didn't wait for Jeff's image to load that had all of the Fram model numbers and the specs.

At least now you have Baldwin numbers to match up to them...

10. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I live in southeat Pennsylvania, about 35 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

eMail me <[email protected]> or call at 610 328 4000, ext 551 during the day.
    Stop in if you're in the area. I believe I'm the only one around who uses a V-12 as an everyday driver.

Bob

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Peter wrote "275 two-cam, 330GT engines (after 1965) and all 365's used two Fram PH2804 filters. These I believe are the non-stand-pipe versions of the PH2804-1 that were used on 308's and the B253 could be used in place of these."

I checked my 365 this weekend and discovered I installed Fram PH2804-1 filters last oil change - what harm, if any, is done by having the PH2804-1 filters and not the PH2804?

thanks,
    Bryan

12. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli