Sunglass recommendations | FerrariChat

Sunglass recommendations

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SpeedFreak, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Well, people are asking for recommendations about all sorts of other things, so I'll ask what's recommended for sunglasses. I have a pair of Killer Loops that are kinda old and wouldn't mind replacing with something newer. Budget around $100.

2. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I just bought a pair of Bolle sunglasses. They are honestly the best pair I have ever had. Polarized lenses, super comfortable. The particular style cost me about $110 (cant remember what they are called), but they have a wide assortment, cheaper and more expensive. check them out.

3. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Maui Jim. There are several model available a little above a $100.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I was sponsored by Bolle for years. The quality of their stuff is top notch and the polarized lenses are the best on the market. I always keep a pair with me.

5. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a nice pair of Rayban Sidestreets, they cost me $150 CDN so they're in your range, check them out at www.rayban.com The reason I reccommend them so highly is yes, they look awesome, but its their warranty and customer service that is amazing, I sat on them (as we've all done) and bent the frame out of shape and sent them in for repairs at my expense... without hearing a peep from them, UPS delivers me a brand new pair at no cost yesterday.

6. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Sun glasses are just like clothing. There are a few manufacturers and they make shades for everyone. Thus you can buy many $100 shades under a different name for nothing. Just go to a mall kiosk and buy cheap ones. Most people lose them quickly anyway.

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Oakleys,had rayban for years but now confirmed "O" man

8. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Oakleys.....

I have worn Rayban's, Bolle, Gargoyles, and cheap.

Had a 12 year old pair of Oakleys, The ear piece split at the frame. Sent them in for repair. Received a brand new pair for $20.00. Not too shaby.

Most quality sunglasses are very good. It all comes down to style and preference. $100.00 will buy you a very good pair of sunglasses. Oakleys are just my favorite. I am not sure if $100.00 will get you into Oakleys however.

my .02

9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Wasn"t sure about the prices Stateside but UK prices are about $240 for the cheapest,but they arte worth it

10. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Love my Maui Jim S/G

11. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Revo , Tag Heuer, Oakley's , Rudy Project, Serengeti.
    I get Oakley's for free, the family has a buttload of them . Quality is ok , and for free I can't complain. Revo's are a step above , remember their your eyes not someplace I would go cheap with.

12. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Could ya send me a couple?

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    OAKLEYS....the only way to go dude.They serve me well, i mean you can fight,swim, free fall and still look good while doing it, and they stay on ya face. Ha! Ha!

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The latest (of about 10 pairs) is the ZeroRH+ polarized goggles. I like them for driving.

DL

15. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thanks to everyone for their input. The one that I think I like the best from what I looked at online was the Bolle Mercuria. Lists at $140 polarized.

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I keep a pair of Maui Jims in each car.

17. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    have old pair Ray-bans, Fantastic wonderful etc

Now sportin new Oak's very happy with them but still prefer the conservative styling of the Ray's

18. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Serengetti

19. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've had a pair of Oakley Eye Jackets for a couple years now and they are awesome. I've abused the hell out of them and they are still together. I've sat on them and had them pop apart, but they went right back together. The lens have gotten scratched over time and i'd like the just get the lenses replaced. Does anyone know how much it costs to get them replaced?

20. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Oakley's for me. Started wearing them playing baseball in high school. They were light and durable.

I still wear Oakley's now, except my current pair is prescription and I've had them for about 7 years now and they are still in pretty good shape with minimal scratching on the lenses.

21. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I work @ Sunglass Hut....Stick to brands such as Maui Jim, Revo, Ray-Ban, Oakley & Costa Del Mar. Bolle are okay glasses, but the coating tends to wear off after maybe a year or so. I would HIGHLY recommend polarized sunglasses. Your eyes will be more comfortable out in the sun, plus, if you go fishing a lot, you can see the fish under water.

22. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Christian Dior---Clear lens.
    My favorite

23. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Try www.oakley.com

24. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I used Bollé long ago but found they scratched too easily (this may have changed). Have been using Vuarnets for almost 20 years and can't do anything without them. They are perfect and nearly indestructable.

Two summers ago, I bought a pair of Maui Jim (Volcanoes) for a nice chunk of change ($240 CAD) and they were so useless that I thought that I had been duped into buying a cheap knock-off (unfortunately for me, nope - they were real). Wore them 5 times and have been in the drawer ever since.

Vuarnets may not be as trendy/hip as they were in the 80s, but they are just awesome. Especially for driving into the sun as it's setting - amazing.

Different for everyone I guess - there are people on this thread that swear by Maui Jim. But I wouldn't buy another pair of MJs if they were $5.

25. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Without at doubt, they are a great company to work with. I have had my Juliets for over 3 years, and they started getting a lil crappy, sent them in, and got them back in brand new condition. They take a beating like no other sunglass ever has on my head. From swimming in pools, to diving into lakes, they have never fallen off and are by far the highest quality. I have 4 other pairs of Oak's used for different situations, such as low light, dress, etc etc.