KABOOM! | FerrariChat

KABOOM!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

2. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    No the engine did not blow. Has ANYBODY tried this stuff as an engine cleaner? Going to play with it on the Jaguar engine 1st and see what happens. Tried it on general clean up and it worked fine. Any thoughts?
    Take Care
    george P.

3. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Judging by the way it took the crap off the floor of our garage it should probably be able to eat its way through your engine block in about 5 1/2 minutes! :D

I would wear some damned thick gloves if you decide to scrub with that stuff!

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    EXTREMELY corrosive. Use it in small areas at a time. What Jaguar engine? I'm almost afraid. Is it that dirty, snap a pic for us?

I'm a devote follower, btw. Great stuff.

Sunny

5. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Thank you, this is th engine

6. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    LRPMAN,

Is that an XJS V 12? we had one a while back....a sensor in the fuel injection system went....we got frustrated, so my father and I ripped out the fuel injectors and put 6 double barrel Webber Carbs on it...and removed the cat. after that the car shot flames....not to mention that the engine bay would catch on fire every so often.

the engines in those cars are sooo smooth with a nice torque curve.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #7 Spasso, Nov 23, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My personal experience for removing dirt is Simple green. Biodegradable, non-flammable, smells good too. Let it soak overnight and hose it off with warm water.

For the corrosion on the aluminum (nonpolished) I use NAPA brand Aluminum Brightener. Nasty stuff but it dissolves corrosion down to the bare aluminum. If I remember correctly it contains Hydroflouric and Sulfuric acid. I used it on my engine with wiring and hoses removed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Spasso, That is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Suuweet Spasso. How long did it take you to get it that clean?

10. For cleaning engines I use Meguiars APC+ Diluted 4:1, Eimann Fabrik's Hi Intenisty Cleaner, And also simple green. For the corrosion on the alumnium you need something acidic you can use a wheel cleaner of some sort.

You can get these at:
    www.properautocare.com
    www.premiumautocare.com

11. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Spasso, maybe this is a dumb question, but where are the air filters?

12. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Thanks guys, sorry it took so long to reply. Will tackel that mess another day. the DUMB ROLLS has decided to pee fuel on the ground. Not very British of it. Think it is a sticky needle on the "A" BANK but that is another story.
    To many cars and NOT ENOUGH time!
    Take Care
    George P.

13. ollie

ollie Karting

Oct 7, 2001
    San Juan Capistrano
    Full Name:
    Oliver B. Cagle
    What the CART guys use. Break shoe cleaner. It works and drys fast. No engine likes water.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Starting on Friday night with the Simple green I finished on Sunday night.
    The process removed fuel and oil stains and I buffed what I could with assorted wire wheels on my drill motor. The timing covers were done with Simple Green and Mothers Mag Cream. NO acid!
    I wrote up the process in detail as a tech article on another site.
    DJ

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    On the bench. Because I was still working on the engine bay, cleaning and paint, I left it off.

The Vstacks are just sitting on the carbs for the picture. The correct order of assembly would be aircleaner base, velocity stacks (16 nuts and washers!) and lastly the aircleaner top (4 more nuts and washers).

DJ

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have noticed on occasion in numerous threads that many people are dead set against spraying water on their engines. In the case of cars with electronic fuel injection, computers and a myriad of sensors I would be worried too.

My car is carbureted, no electronics, no computers and only basic sending units for vitals. The plug wires were off of the car, the spark plug wells were blocked with rubber corks and the tops of the carbs were bagged and taped. The distributor caps, coils and solid state ignition modules (the obvious stuff) were sealed in duct tape and it goes on...............

After I was done I blew everything down with compressed air and put it all back together. It fired right off. NO BIG DEAL. Nothing went Kaboom either! Just a little common sense.

I don't suggest walking up to your engine and just letting loose with a pressure washer without THOROUGHLY sealing everything!.

DJ

17. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I disagree. That's VERY British of it! Just ask my Lotus.

18. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Is that a 302 Ford crate motor?

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    George-

What model is your Roller?

Believe it or not, some Rolls engines were designed to pee fuel!

20. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Why? A James Bond self destruct? My Lotus was designed to leak gear oil to keep the suspension lubricated.

Ken

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Err, no, it's just your run of the mill Original Equipment 3 liter V8 built by some Italian guys after a nice meal of wine and cheese and a three hour siesta.

I wish it was as inexpensive as a 302. I'd have 2 or 3 for spares.

DJ

22. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    That's in your 308 (sig pic)?

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That is correct, the picture of the engine I posted in this thread is the orginal Ferrari V8 the car came with. Even the numbers match.

DJ

24. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Luv it but no, that's not the reason for the fuel purge.

On the carbureted late post-war RRs, there's a fuel purge tube which exits mid-rear of the engine.

The first time I saw it happen, I was under the car while it was being aligned. Suddenly spit, a liguid dripped out of a tube at the rear of the engine; it was petrol!

I immediately called my RR Tech., and he told me not to worry. As I recall, he said it's supposed to do that, as it purges excess raw petrol from the intake manifold after the engine is shut down.

Ken, your Lotus doesn't 'leak' gear oil; as with any British car, it's more commonly referred to as 'controlled seepage'!

Also, it looks like we're neighbors, I live in Mount Prospect. Would you be interested in coming to any Ferrari and/or RR events?

You can email me privately.

25. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    I give my car a good run, then let it cool to a warm to the touch state. Back the 308 up on some good grippy ramps. Then I jack it up further with a hyd. jack via a 4 x 6 x48" placed laterally across the rear frame tubes. Then, jack stands in...rear wheels off, wheel fairings off...time to clean.

I use "Castrol Super Clean," works VERY well. Caution: Dilute it or it can 'bleach out' black plastic parts. I go 50/50 with water. It's bio-degradable, cuts water based dirts, and oils.... I have a hot water tap available for washing, which hastens the effect of this degreaser. Using several light applications with thorough rinsing, the effects are dramatic. Now you can read the color of your wiring! Don't leave it on raw polished aluminum very long... and never on dry metals, hose the surface down with warm water if available before applying this stuff...if not, this is where you could find a bit of corrosive action occurring.

On the 308, I now take duct tape and cover the clutch housing vent holes, all of them, as well as the trans vent before a liberal bath. This I learned the hard way; as even though I drove the car for a half hour after the engine bath, enough water got in and literally steamed up my starter solenoid... A week later, dead starter!