FI OR A 6 SPEED F355 WHICH WOULD YOU BUY IF GIVEN A CHOICE? | FerrariChat

FI OR A 6 SPEED F355 WHICH WOULD YOU BUY IF GIVEN A CHOICE?

Discussion in '348/355' started by drsrock, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I AM IN THE MARKET FOR A 98/99 355 SPIDER. I HAVE RENTED 6 SPEED CARS AND DROVE THEM FOR WEEKS, BUT NEVER AN F1 GEARBOX. NOW THAT I AM CONFRONTED WITH A CHOICE I WONDER WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST LONG TERM DECISION? 6 SPEED IS MY FIRST CHOICE, BUT GIVEN THAT A CAR IS A LIBILITY AND NOT AN ASSET I MUST CONSIDER RESALE. I ALSO MUST LOOK @ RELIABILITY AND POTENTIAL FOR MECHANICAL FAILURE, HOWEVER UNLIKELY (NOT TO MENTION REPAIR BILLS). WHAT OTHER THINGS SHOULD I CONSIDER? HOW MUCH SHOULD A CLEAN NO STORY LOW MI. CAR COST?
    SO I ASK YOU TO CHIME IN WITH ANY INSIGHT, SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS OR OTHER HELPFULL THOUGHTS AS TO THE PROCESS I AM ABOUT TO GO THRU TO FIND MY IDEAL 355. HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT IT? KNOWING THEN WHAT YOU KNOW NOW WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY? WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD YOU HAVE ASKED?

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

6 speed.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Lap times are most important, traffic driven, F1.

Resale, reliability, and lower production volume, 6 speed. The market desires 6 speeds more though the F1 is in higher volume and predicted to rise.

4. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Led to believe the F1 doesn't have too many reliability issues - the gearbox is the same in each car, its just the mechanism for changing gear that is different. The clutch wears out quicker on an F1 especially if it is used in heavy traffic.

Is the F1 a bit quicker on acceleration due to its quicker gear changes ?

Does it do a little blip on changes down ? (sounds good)

5. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I tried very hard to like the F1 shift. I was looking for a 355 gtb with a fiorano handling pack. They are very hard to find in the first place but even harder with the 6 speed. It took me over 18 months looking and I was really tempted for 3 F1 examples I drove, but I held out for the 6 speed. I find that the F1 took away part of the driving experience. I also felt that the car was slower with the F1. It may change gear in a few hundredths of a second but unless you are in the 7000+ rpm (where the gears slam in) there is a "cushioning" effect as the gear engages that, I felt, cut out part of the "feeling" of speed rather than the speed itself.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    6 Speed ! The 355 gotta be a 6 speed.

7. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    6-speed without a doubt. I'm in the process of looking for one and I quickly pass over those that say F1.

8. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I'll take up the other side here.
    This spring I purchased a 360 F1. It was a little wierd at first but I'm totally converted now.

F1

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Drive a F1 to see if you like it. I owned a 98 with the F1 for 3 years and loved it especially on the track. Yes it does make a lot of little sounds and with a Tubi it is just marvelous. I have a 360 now with a 6 speed and I love it. Go figure!

10. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Well im in the F1 camp!

Nothing like the F1 changes at 7K on an open road.

Far more fun than a 6 speed!

If you want to use the car a lot in traffic take the 6 speed though.

And lets face it - for those that like the 6 speed, its not the best gearbox anyway!

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Manual vs F1....Manual

Caps lock on or off...Off

Gary

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I went out of my way to find a manual--it make for a lot more involvement with the car while driving.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    nothing like the gated shifter - I would go with manual. Plus, I believe that the F1 gearbox has improved since the 355 days

14. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Definately the 6-speed manual. Less clutch replacement (assuming you are a decent manual driver), more driver involvement, and higher resale. Good luck.

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I had the opportunity to drive a 6 speed 355 last summer. It had a much better feel than my 328. I would definitely go for a manual. :)

16. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a F1 type shift in my everyday car (BMW), I do 25k miles per year, and it is perfect.

However, I have a 6 speed manual in my 355, which I drive purely for fun. You can't beat the involvement of a manual shift (so sweet when you get it right), but I don't doubt the technical superiority of the hydraulic shift (or F1 teams wouldn't bother).

Try an F1, see if you like it. Bear in mind you have to drive it like a manual though- don't expect it to be smooth like an auto without any effort from yourself.

It is true that they fry clutches in traffic.

17. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They say statistically that the F1 is a little faster. The dealer told me that the clutches wear out faster with the F1 and that it would cost more to replace one.

I personally think that the F1 takes the sport out of the sports car. Shifting is half the fun. The gates in a Ferrari make the car complete. In an F1 the centre console looks like it is missing something important.

Why don't they build a car that stears itself too, then buyers can just sit there and do nothing.

DrewH

18. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    They did built something that shifts and steers it self that is fun. It's called a rollercoaster.

19. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I must say I thought driving a F1 355 spider was pretty much the nicest driving experiance in the world. Every drive makes you think you're Schumaker.
    I think if I knew I was going to keep it for 4-5 years, and I didn't have a Bill Gatesian budget, I'd get the 6spd though.

20. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    The F1 ia a fancy automatic. Nothing as much fun as the gated shifter. 6 spped for sure.

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm a traditionalist and like the 6 speed. That aside, the F1 system on the 355 is miles behind that on the 360. It is, in my opinion, an unsorted system brought to market too soon by the powers that be at Ferrari. If you want F1 buy a 360 if that is not in the cards, buy a 6 speed 355. Used prices are reflecting this too as F1 shift 355's are not at all in demand.

22. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Really!!

Honestly had a 2001 360 on loan and a 2002 car to PX the 355 and the 360 F1 was not that far removed from the 355system. In fact the drive by wire throttle made the car less of an advance than one would have hoped

23. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H

Really? My 2001 360 drives just fine.

24. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Sorry !! was not meant to imply that I dislike the 360F!

But to suggest that its light years away from the 355F1, as in a previous post is a bit near the mark!!

25. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    2cents

I had an early 355F1 and really enjoyed it.
    The only problem was that it kept overheating which was very fustrating and seemed to be a very common occurance with early models.
    I don't think the overheating problem was really sorted out until after the 355 ceased productuion and until about the second year of production of the 360.

I had a later model 360 which was much stronger although still didn't like sitting in traffic for long periods.

Although I personally much prefered the F1 box to the 6 speed I think it might be safer to gun for the six speed on a 355 especially if it's going to be your first F.car.

Just my humble bit.

Good luck in what ever you decide.
    You'll love it whatever

Wazza