gmail - 1 gigabyte Google email account | FerrariChat

gmail - 1 gigabyte Google email account

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by wax, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'm "publicizing" this on F-Chat so those of us who'd like to have a huge email capacity (can you imagine the net-based picture storage possibilities?) can get some half-decent account names when the time comes. I know I don't want to be the 437th person to choose a nic.

Google rolled this out to 1,000 test users yesterday - it will likely be available to John and Joan Q. Public in next 1-3 months. That said, I, John Q. Public, signed up yesterday.

Interested in an account?

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I've jumped on board with you ,Wax.

3. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I was reading that each e-mail you send or receive will be scanned by a puter for possible advertising links and who knows what else.

So an e-mail complaining of you're car breaking down for example will direct advertising for auto service.........real nice. Or, if you're up to no good the Feds showing up at your door.

Big Bro. does come at a price and that being in exchange for 1 gig of "free" space.

4. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    There's always encryption...

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yes, I noticed that as well, and felt it best to have someone else, a fair and balanced observer such as yourself (I'm fair and balanced, alright - but, I'm also the initiator of the topic, and therefore, the initial agitator - not that I'm "agitated" by your observations by any stretch of the imagination) mention the possible downside. Presumably, they're still working on it so amongst other things, it doesn't invade the privacy itself. As for advertising in and of itself, If I send an email to someone via lycos and get a reply, sometimes the message footer will contain advertising, such as this one I got from our fearless leader, Rob Lay:

Enter now for a chance to win a 42" Plasma Television!
    AOL users go here
    This offer applies to U.S. Residents Only

That looks innocuous enough, though, doesn't it? It wasn't relevant to the subject line or the text in the body of the email, so that isn't smart money on the part of the advertiser. Advertisers won't see gmails themselves. What they will get is info from gmail indicating how many ads got placed. That helps them determine how effective their ads are in comparison with other mediums, let alone against their sales figures.

As for gmail ads, read:
    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html#ads

As for gmail privacy, read:
    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html

You'll note somewhere along the line it's handled by Google Ad Sense, which is used on Google & explained here:
    https://www.google.com/adsense/faq#start1

Then, if you want to learn how Google delivers such smart results, you'll get a hint of that here:
    http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

The way I foresee using gmail is primarily as storage space for emails I would otherwise toss out of my other email accounts to save space. In my case, I save just one email from each individual or company that I want to keep in touch with, yet it still takes up half the space. Ridiculous.

That means some emails I copy/paste to documents in order to save them. My own computer is more vulnerable to prying eyes than a gmail server and I'm not doing anything illegal, so even if Big Brother checked in on me, he'd be wasting his time.

But, once again, the reason I posted this info is that those who wish to have storage capacity in an email account (say they wish to forward emails from other email accounts and not have to store them locally) is so they may have a head start on decent account names and/or information once the service is widely available.

6. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I see no way to sign up. What is the deal?

7. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    If it's as simple as Yahoo, and a slicker (less features) then I will be all over it. I don't care if there is Big Brother. As long as I can get my e-mail.... :)

There are ways around Big Brother through him in which he cannot read. Take advantage of that.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

"The consternation caught Larry Page, Google's co-founder and president of products, off guard.

"I'm very surprised that there are these kinds of questions," he said Thursday."

IOW:

Hey, I thought that with all that free space they wouldn't care if their privacy is as stake....................

9. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Since G-mail has been dragging along through beta phase, I opened a 1 GB account at spymac.com a few weeks ago. Have forwarded archive emails to said account - no spam has come to Inbox.