308 Advice | FerrariChat

308 Advice

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pdavison, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pdavison

pdavison Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Paul Davison
    This is my first post and I'm hoping you guys could offer me some advice.

I am looking to buy my first Ferrari and apart from not be able to decide between a LHD 328, LHD 348 or RHD 308 I have a quick question.

Would you consider purchasing a 308 that has already done 72k miles? There is a car for sale at Verdi's that is right up my street, but I'm concerned about the mileage. What's the general opinion regarding higher mileage Ferrari's?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

2. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
  3. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    The stigmeister is selling his 308.Why don't you PM him for details.
    Daz

4. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    morning "p" and welcome.....go for the 308 with carbs (especially if your handy with the spanners) - but then i am hugely biased.....from what i hear messrs. "verdi" doesn't stock "suspects".....lots of technical sites/links available out there.....good luck, david

5. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    #5 sletti, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. pdavison

pdavison Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Paul Davison
  7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Higher miles is not so much of a problem. Maintenance is key. Most people prefer to buy lower mileage cars, so bear that in mind. It all depends on price.

For a really good breakdown of all the 308 models check out:
    http://www.qv500.com/ferrari308mr.htm

However I think the price guide is a little on the low side, but worth a check for model descriptions etc.

8. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The car at Verdi looks to be in great shape going on the photo's. The most interesting point I find on this high mileage car is that it's only had 3 owners - in 19 yrs! That has got to be a good thing. I don't think the mileage should stop you looking at it and checking out it's history. It will however probably be difficult for you to sell in the future so you'd have to make sure it's a good deal now.

Also because it's it's not red it has two points where it could fall down at sale time.

9. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    They dont call it Re-sale red for nothing!

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

Stig,
    work it , baby!

11. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    T,

I'm just a slut for a sale!!!

12. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    stig what will replace that hole in your garage when the 308 goes?

13. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Steve

Either a nineteen foot long inflatable pink aardvark, or, with luck (ie I need to sell mine), a rather spiffing 1988 rosso 328GTB. Fingers crossed! Come on "p" (do fill out you profile if you have the time or at least let us know your name); you know it makes sense.......

Stig

14. pdavison

pdavison Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Paul Davison
    Stig,

Were you at the recent Virginia Waters Pistonheads meet, I think I saw your car?

I am really interested in the GTS model as I like the open element. I've got a TVR Cerbera currently and it's the one thing that I miss, especially when the sun's out.

Re-sale is a big consideration for me, so the mileage is a concern. Colour wise, I've always said my first Ferrari would be red, but the 308 does look great in black.

15. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They ALL look good in Black!

16. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Yep, that would have been me.

GTS models do usually command a higher price, but if you are satisfied with a left hooker, there are bargains to be had. I know someone selling a rosso LHD 348TS and he'd probably let it go for £24 ish. I could give you his number if it is of interest

17. pdavison

pdavison Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Paul Davison
    Profile is now sorted, apologies guys I couldn't find the relevant page to do it.

I'm sure this has been covered on a number of occasions, but which would you go for:

308GTS (RHD)
    328GTS (LHD)
    348GTS (LHD)

I know it's personal taste, but I'm a fan of all three. I know the 348 is a more costly car to run which is why I've tended to lean towards the 308/328 option.

18. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Stig....the chrome prancing horse to the front grille....is it original ?....cheers, dave

19. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Dave,

I dunno to be honest. Some 308s do, and some don't. Perhaps it was an optional feature when a 308 was bought new, or perhaps some herbert in the past thought that you can't have enough prancing horses on a Ferrari!

20. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Except the red ones!

21. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    nice 1 stig they too are awesome looking cars, the video will make a welcome collection to the website

22. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Steve,

Are you refering to the cars on my website?

23. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    the delivery video you have on there, when the new one comes i look forward to watching episode 2

24. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    My choice is the 308 QV. There is not much difference in power with a 328. Also the interrior is so much nicer with all the retro stalk switches vs the plasticky 80's buttons. I also prefer the sahrk nose vs the flatter front of the 328. If you get one of the last ones made (i.e last 9 months production) then you also get all the rust proofing and updated manufacturing techniques used for the 328 production. This is because the factory was refitted for the new models production in 1984 so the last 308s got the 328 treatment. Dont mean to offend any 328 owners, just my personal prefference :)

As for the 348 i think i will get my self in trouble for this but I personally feel that ferrari lost its way for a while, stylistically and techincally.

Happy car hunting

Philip