Good driving suggestions while in Las Vegas??? | FerrariChat

Good driving suggestions while in Las Vegas???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ILuv4Res, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hello,

I thought I posted this last night, but I can't find it (must be getting older!). Anyways, I am scheduled to be in Las Vegas in a few weeks and I rented a 355 spider for the day. (They don't have a 360 :( ) Does anyone have any suggestions on where to drive? I think someone once mentioned a 'red rock canyon loop'??? Any info on that???

Last time I was there, I rented a 348 Spider & drove to the Hoover dam and lake meade (sp-?), so I would like to do something different.

Any ideas? Anyone know of the 'red rock canyon loop'?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup, Red Rock canyon is a natural park and you'll find it on any map. Just ask the rental place, they'll show you. You won't be able to drive fast in the park, but the scenery is stunning.

Alternatively you could go to Hoover dam. Below a couple of examples from my rental drives. I just wish they would come back with a 360. You can tell them, they can email me if they have a 360 again. I'll book my flight in a heart beat.

3. 38 Off

38 Off Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Pace, FL
    Full Name:
    Phil Crain
    Drive up to the snow ski area.

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    hoover dam, red Rocks (speed limited, watch out), pass on the way to Parhump (sp!).

Vincent.

5. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Cool. So, the red rock canyon drive does exist.

Anyone have directions????

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As I said, just get a local map (even from your rental place). It is just a few miles outside the city (Northwest I believe). The park is on the map.

Driving to Hoover dam is even easier, just follow the signs to it and AZ.

Have fun and post pictures!

7. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Fred, when you going? I am going out next weekend....Easter..gamble on God's day!

I havent' reserved a 348 yet, but I am thinking about it. Better hurry or I'll miss it.

8. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

alright just reserved a 348 for sunday morning to tool around town. should be fun. Hope it doesn't say RENT ME on the rear of it!

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually the license plate holder on mine said "Dreamcar rentals". But hey, nobody reads the rear end of your car when you're driving along the strip.

PS: I have made my own rental reservation. Slightly different vehicle though...

10. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Jim, wow, that's cutting it close..........I'm going to New Mexico first (on the 10th), until Tuesday (13th). Darn, I would really like to meet you in person since we have had so many good F-chat discussions!!! By the way, the only way to tell the car is a rental is by the license plate holder as tifosi12 mentioned. Other than that, you couldn't tell. I'm guessing you could get another license plate frame or take it off if you really wanted to while you're renting it. You will NOT be dissapointed renting a car there!!!

tifosi12- I did the Hoover dam & lake meade last time. Been there, done that. Although it was a wonderful trip, I think I will like the red rock canyon drive better since it's new scenery. Besides, we made it to the dam area in only 15 minutes, doing 100-140 mph. (I know, it was stupid, but oh, what fun!!!!). I think the canyon drive, as it was mentioned was slower, may help eliminate the urge to press the one on the right....... oh, I love that one on the right!!! :)

11. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Head North-ish to the ET Highway (can't remember the number), go to The Little Ale'inn Diner in Rachel for a great meal, spend the night UFO spotting near Area 51, and then back again to Vegas through the desert at dawn.

Awesome awesome awesome....

John

12. JOHN328

JOHN328 Karting

Jan 2, 2003
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY AR
    Full Name:
    JOHN STRIEGEL
    It's be awhile since I have done it,but you might want to check out the Valley of Fire drive. it will take a few hours to make the loop. I goes along Lake Mead and then in to the park and exits on I-15.

here the web site : http://www.desertusa.com/nvval/

13. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Cool. Thanks for the info!

14. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    Heres a good one: Cruise Las Vegas Blvd on a Fri. or Sat eve. I figure one trip up it, and 1 trip down it & it'll be time to bring the car back as your 24 hr rental will have expired. ;o) Vegas is ridiculous for driving now-a-days, I would think to have any fun ya gotta leave the city. 15 years ago would have more fun to cruise Vegas IMO. You'll still have fun though. Stay off the strip and your life will 1000x's easier.

15. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Red rock for sunrise and/or sunset really brings out the color

Stan

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Great driving suggestion while in Las Vegas: drive out to Las Vegas Motor Speedway & park. Climb into a Derek Daly school car, and flog it all day.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Same place other dates: Drive a CART replicar around the oval from driving1on1.com. Great fun!

18. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Rent-A-Vette in Las Vegas has both a 360M and Spider. I rented from them before and it was a really good experience.

-- Michael

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Uh, oh! Now you got my attention. Hmm, let's see what musical show would appeal to my better half?
    :)

20. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    uh, oh. I will now call rentavette. According to the website, they charge $1,100/day for the 360 coupe, $1,500/day for the 360 spider. That's a bit higher than the $700/day for the 355 spider. Is the 360 worth the extra $$??

I will call them anyways, because the 355 spider is $750/day ($50 more) and less miles allowed at dream car rentals (75 miles) than what's advertised at rentavette's website (100 miles).

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have only driven the 355 and loved it completely, however all comparisons in magazines say the 360 is worlds apart from the 355. So if you have the extra cash I'd go for the 360. Berlinetta that is. I don't see the point in paying an extra 500 for the open version. But that's just me.

The Rent a vette deal is different as you get the car to drive all day. I preferred Dreamcar Rentals as their minimum of 4 hours is really all I want to drive the car anyway, but again, that's me being cheap.

22. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Well, I called rentavette. I will stay with Dream Car Rentals for several reasons:

1) the 355 spider RAV has is white/blue. DCR has a red/tan and a yellow/black 355 spider. (We reserved the Yellow/black one)

2) RAV allows 100 miles on its daily rentals but only 50 miles on the 6 hour rental. At DCR, they allow 75 miles on the 5 hour rental period.

3) RAV doesn't allow a reservation if you're renting for a time period less than 24 hours. Too much chance. I prefer to have everything planned.

4) I have rented from DCR before. No issues.

Also, I will rent the 355 instead of the 360. I definitely want a spider and don't think it is worth the extra $$.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    WHOA! That TOTALLY sucks!
    :(

There goes my trip to Vegas. Now I think I remember some comments other folks had on this board about that: Something along the lines of high rollers stepping in in the last moment and you don't get the car, even when reserved.

I guess I would have to make arrangements for the off season on a weekday morning or something.

24. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I hope that doesn't happen to me. I already reserved and gave credit card # to secure it at DCR.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think I remember that DCR never tried to pull a fast one, but Rent a Vette did. Not sure though. Anyway, good luck and post some pics pls!