Insurance Attorney in the house? | FerrariChat

Insurance Attorney in the house?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by heritage58, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo
    My 78 GTS was damaged, the other driver was issued a ticket for "failure to yield, stop sign." StateFarm, his carrier, states it's his word vs. mine. His car was indamaged. Any hope of collecting or do I go the civil court route? Regards, Tony in NC.

2. twoshort

twoshort Rookie

Jan 22, 2004
    What state is this in?

3. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Hello Tony,

If he received a ticket by the police, wouldn't this validate your word?
    Well, this is typical, insurance companies hate lawyers but they are the reason we have so many.

Chuck

4. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    You have two options. One, you can sue them for your damages but you have to prove it was his fault to recover 100 percent of your damages. If the trier of fact believes you contributed to the accident any fault assigned to you will be dedcuted from your award.

Second, and the preferable route make a claim with your insuance co. and let them subrogate against State Farm for what they paid you. If your co. gets State Farm to pay you will get your deductable back

5. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I would agree with the subrogation route. If there is a police report and citation on the accident, your insurance company should pay the bill without increase your rates. They will then subrogate the claim to the other driver's company.

6. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Yes...Turn it into your company and let them handle it. if you read the fine print on your policy you will find a clause that states you must report all accidents to your company ...usually within 24 hours of occurance. Subrigation works great and the ticket is proof that it is the other guys fault.

7. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Your deductible should not apply. This was the way Allstate handled a similar claim of mine in VA about 6 years ago.

8. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo

9. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo
    Wilmington, NC. Actually an amusing aside to this disaster was that a local radio station announced that a red Ferrari was racing on a major road, heavy afternoon traffic, and got what he had coming to him. Lots of grins and jokes followed. An employee heard it, called me, got the real story and did me a favor by calling the DJ's. Next was a public apology to me. So many people heard it that I'm thinking I could possibly find a witness to the accident. Would this help?