Senna in a Brabham? Pls help. | FerrariChat

Senna in a Brabham? Pls help.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just got the latest catalogue from speedgear.com and they have a special Ayrton Senna page with lots of new models added. Really neat stuff (my nephew is a big Senna fan, so his uncle will have place some orders now).

Anyway: There is a 1/43 model of a 1983 Brabham with Senna in it. I do not remember, that he test drove for Brabham that year before he got his first ride in the Toleman. But my memory is old, so who has the scoop on this?

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I got the Replicarz brochure and they had the 83 Brabham, Ford RF81, 84 Toleman, McLaren/Lambo MP4/8B, Senna/Mansell victory ride, and a 10th anniversary Williams.

I didn't know he was in half of those cars. The Williams and Toleman, obviously. But the Brabham and McLaren are news to me.

Remeber, F1 Decade tonight on Speed TV.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not to beat you up Mule, but the McLaren was news to you? That's the car he won his 3 Championships in!

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    But the white test car with a Lambo motor is what is being offered. Not the Ford MP4/8 in Malboro livery. McLaren/Lamborghini MP4/8B test car Estoril, 1993. All white, no markings.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very interesting. We're obviously not talking about the same catalogue here or I'm missing something completely: The car you describe is NOT in the Speedgear catalogue. Sounds very intriguing though for real Senna fan.

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    1993 McLaren/Chrylser/Lamborghini Test Car Ayrton Senna
    A new release by the Senna Collection, and superbly crafted in 1:43 scale this is the McLaren, Chrysler, Lamborghini Mp4/8 Test Car as driven by Ayrton Senna September 28th 1993. Highly detailed, you will marvel at the precision and accuracy applied to these small scale models. This is a must for the Senna collector.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Here is the Senna /Brabham picture of the model. Any pictures of the real thing?

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    THOSE were my favourite F1 cars of all times: Thin as a pencil and then that monstrous rear wing. Way too cool. Most powerful F1 cars of all times: over a 1,000 hp! I'm stuck in the eighties and I'm loving it.
    :)

9. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    nice pics Mule.

So, tifosi12, you have some real pics of this car ?

Indeed, i also know the Mc Laren and The Williams, but the Mule ones, i am waiting for original pics.

greetings, vince

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No I don't. All I have is the same picture of the model. Hence my question. What is the background to this? Obviously Senna was testing the Brabham at some point, but I don't remember that at all.

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Well, like Vince said - real pictures...? I have a few Senna books at home, I may dig through tonight.

I am almost wondering if their may be a little creative license, like Senna WAS going to test a Brahbam or Senna THOUGHT about testing for Brabham, so we made a model.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hard to believe. But possible. If they go down that path, they might as well put a Senna figurine into a F1 Ferrari from the nineties...

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Senna did test a Brahbam at Paul Ricard in 1983 but he was notched from getting a seat by Piquet. That McLaren Lamborghini test that he did was amazing, he got some great numbers with that combination.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that info! With that screen name you had to come up with the answer.

Interesting little fact though. So the Senna-Piquet animosities started even before Senna got into F1.

15. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Senna never drove a Brabham, at least not outside of a test.

He drove a Toleman, then a Lotus, then McLaren, and lastly, Williams.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    From a website called F1Rogues.com:

Toleman was the next day and they did have a seat available for 1984 as their rising star, Derek Warwick had signed for Renault. Senna completed seventy two laps with a best of 1m 11.54 seconds, a second faster than Warwick's qualifying time for that seasons British Grand Prix. Finally came Brabham. Ecclestone did have a seat but pressure from the team’s Italian Sponsors, Parmalat with regards to the second seat in the team. Piquet had just won his second Formula One Championship with the team and so his seat was secure. After testing Maruo Baldi and Pierluigi Martini form Italy, Robert Guerro form Columbia and Senna at Paul Ricard, Ecclestone wanted Senna. Senna wanted to got to Brabham but Piquet did not much fancy the prospect of having Senna as his team-mate. Senna had the reputation of never accepting an number two role and Piquet felt as a champion he should have the lion’s share of the attention from the team. Between them Piquet and Parmalat kept Senna out of the number two Brabham for 1984, a position to be filled by Teo Fabi. Thus Senna’s options had been deleted to the point were he joined the Toleman team to start his Formula One career. Senna knew that to win in Formula one you needed the best car, the Toleman was not the best car but at least he could take some satisfaction in finally getting his foot on Formula Ones ladder even though it was on a lower rung.

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Yes when Senna raced in FF2000 in 1982 Emerson Fittapaldi tried to introduce Ayrton to Piquet on that terrible day in 1982 at Zandvoort when G. Villeneuve died in qualifying. Piquet brushed Senna off, later after Senna had completed his test for Brabham, Piquet basically told Ecclestone (who owned Brabham at the time) it was not a good idea to have two Brazilians on the same team. Piquet was always a Schmuck and never really had good relationships with his teammate unless they were a lot slower. He didn't get on with Patrese at Brabham, nor Mansell at Williams. In all fairness Piquet knew Senna would probably get the uppderhand just as Piquet did to Lauda at Brabham. The only driver that Prost did not want at the McLaren team in 88 was Piquet, he would rather have Senna than Piquet.

Piquet was an amusing driver but he was also a Weenie!

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Any comments on the Playboy (or was it Penthouse?) interview Piquet gave and his statements/allegations about Senna?

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Piquet was always saying outlandish things to unsettle people. He called Enzo Ferrari prior to his death in 1988 Senile. He called Prost names at the sametime. He called Mansell, "An uneducated blockhead with a stupid and ugly wife."

Piquet was dating a Model that Senna had already stopped going out with, who used to go to Grand Prix's, Piquet made a comment that Senna was not that interested in girls. What Senna was not interested in was that Particular Girl. When this comment came out in Brazil, it just made Piquet look more second rate than he became racing for Lotus-Honda and later Lotus Judd. Senna's girlfriend at the time Xuxa Menghel (big star in Brazil) said that if Senna is gay than she only wants to make love to gay men in the future. Piquet had been replaced by Senna with the Brazilian People.

20. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    #20 hps, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Kids...!!

Allow me to illustrate....from my collection.
    1) Senna at his Williams test.....note also Frank Williams in the pic.
    2) Senna in the Brabham....note Bernie Ecclestone, and Gordon Murray in the pic.
    3) Senna in the McLaren test...note Ron Dennis, and Martin Brundle as well.

Sorry abou the black and white......it was the first book I reached for....have many more in colour...

Always glad to help !!

hps
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Thank you those are great pics!

22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Thanks for the pictures! Which McLaren is that? Looks like an MP4/2B or C.

23. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    According to reports, it is an MP4/1. Set up by regular driver John Watson, Both Senna and Brundle were being tested that day at Silverstone.

hps

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Doesn't that sound weird? Brundle vs Senna in a test? Of course hindsight is 20/20 and we know how these careers have taken very different paths. OTOH one is still alive.
    :(

25. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    No not at all, Senna battled Brundle for the British F3 title and both were offered tests by R. Dennis. Senna actually blew the motor on his final lap as he crossed the finish line on his turn at the wheel. Ron Dennis was not to amused that Ayrton didn't ease off, but Ayrton didn't want to spoil his quick lap.