NASCAR driving experience anybody? | FerrariChat

NASCAR driving experience anybody?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    When I was in Florida I checked out the Richard Petty driving experience and liked what I saw: You can drive a NASCAR around an oval for under 400 bucks for 8 laps. It is a 3 hour program altogether.

http://www.1800bepetty.com

I learned that they also come to Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet. Actually almost every month this summer.

So I was wondering if any of you guys are interested in this on a particular date?

I'll be doing it some time this summer, but have no real preference for when. So if somebody else would like to join as a driver or spectator, let's hear it.

PS: I did a similar thing last year at Chicagoland with a CART replicar. Went there with Bob and the 308. It was just fun having your Ferrari inside a real oval.
    :)

2. I would skip that oval garbage and attend drivers school or time trial at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI.

www.gingermanraceway.com

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have done Skip Barber school and taken my Ferrari to Blackhawk. Will take it this year to another track as well. From that perspective I agree.

However I'm interested in experiencing different racing styles and cars. That's why I have tried out ovals and road courses, F3, F1, IRL and CART. NASCAR is just another one I'd like to know how it feels. On my list of cars to drive are still dragster, Le Mans and off roads. And probably more F1.

I'm a road course F1 Ferrari fanatic. Nothing will change that. But I think one has to experience the other race cars and formulae to get the bigger picture which allows to compare series.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,back in the Late '70's. I raced a '65 Impala on a 1/2 mile Clay Oval Track. It was at the old "Sante Fe Speedway" out in Burr Ridge,Il.. They had a 1/4 mile,and 1/2 mile track.(Same track,just would open up the 1/4 into the 1/2 when they wanted to.) It was alot of fun. They had Stock Car racing. Demolition Derby. And,Flat Track Motorcycle Racing,(I bet Bill was there...:) ) With the "Big Bikes" 750 and 1000cc Harleys,and the Like.

I raced there only once,(Oval Racing...not Demolition) and,out of about 15 cars,I came in 3rd...First Time out!!! It was fun.

But,some developer bought up some of the Vacant land around there,and built some Big expensive Homes,and of course,these New Residents "Weren't aware that there was a Race Track next door"...Yeah,right...And started Whining about the Noise.

And on Motorcycle Racing Nights. The Parking lot would,literally,have HUNDREDS of Motorcycles-mostly Harleys-in it. And,when the Evening was over. You had these several Hundred Bikes-mostly with Loud pipes-all Firing up and leaving around 11:00PM,and it took quite awhile for them all to file out...

So,despite that it was "There First". The Wealthy Homeowners Whined enough and got it closed down.

My Ex-Sister in Laws Husband,and Brother in Law,race a Clay Oval out in Sycamore,Il. about 60 miles due West of Chicago,right on Route 64,Which is North Av. It's a fun Night,too.

They usually have a Big NASCAR race at Joliet Speedway in July...like the 10th,11th.,or 12th. I've always wanted to attend. But,I'm always out in Arizona at that time.