Kimmi just can't get a break | FerrariChat

Kimmi just can't get a break

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Matt LaMotte, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    See what happens when you push a track worker. He lost his engine in practice today and will start at the back. I bet it's a somber mood in Mclaren land.

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I wonder what would happen if every team simply decided to start the race on fresh engines?

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i bet its also a somber mood inside montoya's head !!!!

5. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    He's a PUTZ!!!

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wondered about that myself. I bet the regulations say something to the effect of *WHEN* your engine brakes you move 10 slots back. Probably the later your engine brakes, the more to the back you move. If the entire field did it, the first to break an engine would be on pole I guess. Just speculating.

I'm surprised to hear that he has to start from the back. I thought it would be just ten slots back from whereever he qualifies. Hmm???

7. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    Ross Brawn actually asked for clarification on that very point, "What would happen if..." Seems that in some circumstances it might be advantageous to start from the back. Fresh engine, more fuel, etc. Remember last season when people aborted bad qualifying laps to start from the pit lane but have all night to work on the cars. I seem to remember Minardi doing that and McLaren did it once as well, if memory serves me correctly.

Tom

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah you remember correctly.

Just learned that Kimi gets the 10 slot penalty, but doesn't automatically go to the back. The team might decide to forego that and start from the pitlane though.