GT4 Bumper Modifications | FerrariChat

GT4 Bumper Modifications

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Here are some pics of the bumpers pushed in on my gt4. I only pushed them in halfway for esthetic reasons. If I can get a second set of bumpers I have a friend who will make fiberglass molds and they will be about 50 lbs lighter front and rear. If anyone has a line on a set the condition is not important. Hans, I still want to buy your set! Make me an offer!!! My friend says that it will cost about 500 for the pair for ones that are indistinguishable from the stock.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Robert

That is beautiful.

3. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    How did you "push them in?" Is it a permanent fix? I thought I saw bumpers on Ebay, you might want to check. Does anyone know where Euro bumpers can be obtained and how difficult they are to install?

My car is black, so the bumpers aren't as prominent, but it sure would look better if the bumpers were reduced like yours. Nice Job!!

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Damn Rob, your car looks GREAT!! I really need to take a trip out to Ventura Co. to check out your car and shrine one day.

I mentioned the bumper mod to my wife and her reply was: What's wrong with your bumpers now...

What's your timeline for these bumpers? I think in a year or so, I will be repainting my car, maybe then will be a good time to revisit the bumper issue. Since they will need to come off the car for a repaint, you could use them for your mold, but you may not want to wait that long.

Dom

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    rob
    that looks terrific. As Wyle E. Coyote would say "...suuuper geeeenius!"

Would like to throw in a comment about the weight loss from a Mondial guy. Taking off 100 # for two bumpers is substansial - it's like adding horsepower - a lot. Wish I could get some lighter bumpers for my car - I'd do it in a heartbeat.

best to my GT/4 bretheren
    rt

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Well Thanks Guys,

The car actually looks better in pictures than real life, which is weird because i dont look good in either! :-0

There have been several threads on how to do this but what I did was buy 4 wasted bumper shocks from GT car parts. The part is a GM design I would not be suprised if you could get a gm part. Well anyway all you do is take the bumpers off(pretty easy), take the shocks off drill a hole through the side of the shock to let the hydralic gases out. I sprayed wd40 down into them and pushed and pulled on them for a couple of weeks to get them lossened up, then put it all back together.

On the front bumper once it was tighted down I could not move it without loosening all the bolts, but the rear I can (with some force) pull it out to wipe it of then push it back in, which is good because on my gt4 I get allot of carbon powder on my back bumper as the car is set pretty rich.

They would go in another 1.5-2" but it would look weird beacuse the bumperettes would have a bigger gap on the sides. I pused them in until the shelf on the bumper was even with the edge of the bumperette.

Some guys weld them but they are not very moveable on thier own. My wife says I am screwed now if I run into anything but in my estimation I would be screwed anyway, and BTW they were only 5mph bumpers anyway to begin with.

Dom, I could wait that long but to make the bumper molds my friend says he needs to make the finsh perfect which might mean filling and sanding etc. That is why I am looking for a spare set so none of us have to go through the pain of messing up our original bumpers. Hans has a set which I could have bought if I weren't so stupid and if I can only convince him to sell, or I will keep looking for another set.

BTW I will be at the Dino reunion at Concorso Italiano this year if any of you are going.

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Nice talking to you the other day on the phone Rob... Looking forward to seeing you and your GT4 at CI.

And that GT4 is looking great with those bumpers. Nice job.