308 GTSi Euro Bumper Swap | FerrariChat

308 GTSi Euro Bumper Swap

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by flashman, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I am thinking of swapping the stock US bumpers on my 81 308GTSi for Euro bumpers. My question is: How difficult is this to do, and does it require any type of body or frame work to the existing structure of the car. Do you guy's think it is even worthwhile doing?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I understand it's significant weight savings, but US bumpers are the best for smacking US cars IMO.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I use my (US) 308 at the track and switched to Euro bumpers. The weight savings is significant. Looks better too IMO. Yes, if you do more than "nudge" something you might need to pay the piper, but you are careful in close quarters, right? As careful as those Italians, Brits and anyone else that drove cars on the other side of the pond. At any kind of speed it is not going to make a difference.

I think the biggest issue is when you leave it in a prking lot and Great Uncle Frank or Grand Auntie Mary are picking up some groceries in the 74 Lincoln and...well you get the picture.

It's a straight bolt on.

4. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    The car is never left alone, so being "attacked" is not a problem. I take it, that it is just a straight across bolt up to the existing bumper anchor points?

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Flashman--it's also possible to push your US bumper in quite a bit via drilliing a small hole into each bumper shock and carfully easing the car into a strong , flat wall. The shocks compress and the bumper moves in closer to the clip. It still doesn't look as clean as a Euro, but it is an improvement in looks

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Doc's response may seem strange, but he's right on.

Do a search on the archived Ferrarichat pages, and you'll find pictures of this solution.

When you weigh the costs and the benefits, I think that it's the way to go.

If you really want to reduce weight, and impact resistance isn't that important to you, remove the bumper shocks, and re-mount your current bumpers with new brackets (that you'd have to fabricate yourself.)

--Matt

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    :), you're right. I've got euro bumpers on mine, it saved about 35 lbs per bumper, but as bumpers they make really good turn signal brackets.

8. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I have access to a real smoking deal on a set of front and rear Euro bumpers for my car. I really am not concerned about being hit, and if by chance I do crash, well its a moot point anyway. I think the Euros look great and the fact that they will lighten the car is an added bonus. My big concern was the ease of installing them.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm with Matt, ditch the bumper shocks, and fabricate or use the euro brackets and save even more weight.

10. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Dave,
    Will Euro brackets work on a US bumper?
    WilliamR

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Why drill a hole?

12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Bumper replacement. Front: Remove 4 nuts attached to inside mount of bumpers. Disconnect turn signal light connector each side. Remove TS from bumper, mount to new bumper. Reconnect 4 nuts. Tighten.

Rear. Remove 4 nuts, remove bumper. Place new bumper in position. Use washers to shim as needed for alignment. Tighten nuts.

Time 30 minutes for both.

No you don't need to remove the bumper shocks, although you can and will save more weight by doing so.

13. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    pma1010: Thanks for the great advise, I will proceed with it.
    WilliamR.

14. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    The bumpers on my '83 were pushed in front and rear but they still were not compact enough. So I took off the rear and removed the inch and a half aluminum block from between the bumper and the shock. I then used a die to cut the threads down into the studs that are permanently inserted into the bumper (at least on mine). Off the top of my head I can't remember what the die size was though. Then I remounted the bumper. Biggest problem was trying to tighten the bolts. When you take out the spacer there is not much room in there. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

15. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I have Euro bumpers front and rear. They bolt directly on to the existing brackets. See prfile. I had the front prof painted and clear coated.

These are after market repro's designed to bolt on to US cars.

Original Euro bumpers will no fit without changing the mounts/shock or fabricating new mounts.