why does 30k service cost $7k for a 456 0r 550? | FerrariChat

why does 30k service cost $7k for a 456 0r 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ignacio, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    these cars don't even need the engine out!

porsche 996 turbo 30k service is about $1200.

other than the fact that the market will bear it is there any reason for the cost of the ferrari service?

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The 30K service for my '77 308 was $8.5K. It got a full carb rebuild and a LOT of other parts that were tired.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Search the archives. Doody has a great post on this subject. Bottom line is what a Mercedes salesman told me many years ago, "If you want to run with the big dogs, you gotta lift yer leg high."

4. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Good Question ! As you pointed out, the engine doesn't have to be removed to perform belt service, etc. on the 550 Maranello. Most every independent shop/mechanic I know of, charges between $2.2k and $2.6k for the major, including parts.

I strongly suspect that the dealerships assume owner's don't know this fact, trying to capitalize, plus most other F-cars require the engine to be moved for a major, consequently, they(dealers) think they can get away with it. For example, I heard that Shelton's is quoting $5.5k for the 550 major service, the same as the major for a TR major, which does NOT compute. I would suggest that the dealer be requested to show a line-per-line breakdown of the costs to justify these prices.

5. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I am trying to remember but I have been gone from a Ferrari dealership about a year now. I believe we used to quote about $3,200 for a 30K with timing belts. But it also included things like full fluid flushes on all fluids (brakes, coolings, etc), injector cleaning, trans fluid flush and a list of other items. Most times it is found that cars need things like rotors, pads, maybe a clutch disc and other things that are replaced at this time. These are not part of a typical 30K service but always get grouped into the cost of one by people who do not understand that these are additional items.

So often, in the case of the 456, the hoses under the intake manifold need replacing and this is a costly job to perform. This also gets lumped together with the 30K. Again, this is not really a 30K item but is done at the same time if it needs it. I have seen people spend $12K at 30K if the car needed a lot and then say "Man that 30K service sure is expensive".

Remember, the 30K service is one thing. Any additional things that need to be fixed or replaced at 30K is an entirely different animal even though you are paying for them at the same time.

Now, did that help clear anything up or just make it muddier??????

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    $7K is the highest number i've ever seen QUOTED for a 550 major. i am unaware of anybody paying over $6,500, and that was an extreme case. most seem to come in at $4K to $6K.

there are THREE ways to do a major on one of these cars:

* the inexpensive way
    * the standard way
    * the all-out way

the "all-out" solution is what the dealers seem to be quoting, which is the FNA "by the book" major. $2,700 in parts plus 40 hours of labor. some dealers go beyond this and replace stuff that's not in the FNA list as well.

the "standard" way is what i think you'll get out of a good independent with reasonable parts mark-up, not doing excessive stuff if your car doesn't need it (ie: 5 years old but only 10K miles), and maybe skipping some stuff that some would argue is way over the top (like replacing spark plugs that only have 6,000 miles on them).

the "inexpensive way" seems to be these bandied-about $2K solutions. presumably they must cut some corners. if you do the math on that above parts number and tweak mechanic's labor rates, $2200 seems quite unlikely unless lots of stuff is being passed over (perhaps rationally). when i was soliciting details from folks on their 550 major services (cf. the aforementioned post) i never saw a service for less than $4K. i don't know from whence these $2200-$2600 numbers come from - i'd very much like to see the paperwork on those so i can put them into my analysis/spreadsheet.

i personally have not found independents quoting $2500 majors for the 550. the few i've interacted with were quoting close to the dealer numbers, but were quoting "all-out" services as well.

do search the archives (it might be on the old board) for my analysis of this.

doody.

7. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Look at the front of your car. See that rectangular badge on the hood. See the name on it?

There's why it costs so much. Because Ferrari owners will pay it.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The ROI at most F dealers is ZERO. I'm amazed they charge so little to do it right. The base cost per tech is at least $55. per. Servicing and selling F car's is not a bussiness. Selling your franchise to someone who has to own one is.

9. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I just had a 30K service done on my 456 GT at FAI, Costa Mesa, CA.

They did a great job, by the book for $3,250.

2K for labor, $1,250 for parts.

I was told if I had the automatic the service would have been about $1K more.

For the do-it-yourself people, call GT Autoparts in Phoenix, AZ (Carefree) if you want original Ferrari parts at dealer prices.

MB

10. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Just when I've almost convinced myself to explore F-Car ownership down the road, I read posts like this (no offense, of course).

I had a $1200+ car bill once...for a whole transmission! I paid $350 for a completely rebuilt engine for my 1970 Dodge. Plaza Mercedes can make the SRS fault light on the C36 go out for a mere $600, and I turned them down. $2000+ to "tune" a perfectly fine car? I'm not sure I can swallow that...

As much as I love the marque, I find it harder and harder to spend $30k on a 308/mondial/400i than on, say an NSX or a (shock, horror!) Corvette. The performance of the older Ferraris does not concern me in the least (I'm not buying the car to have the fastest thing on wheels), but considering the maintenance costs I would seriously be afraid to drive it. Help!

11. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Chris,

If I took some of these posts at face value, i'd be scared too. Don't believe everything you read. Do not be afraid of driving a Ferrari for fear of breaking it. They like and need to be driven ---- often. It's only a car. Buy it. Drive it. Enjoy it.

Tom

12. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    The following is from Ferrari Service Times Manual for a 550, 30K - 10.1 hrs, plus 10.5 for the belt replacemant, 20.6 + parts
    355 times are, 30K - 13.7, engine r&r - 22, belts - 2.3, 38 hours total