Are we getting closer to cruise weather? | FerrariChat

Are we getting closer to cruise weather?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by dm_n_stuff, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ok, spring is here. We're rolling the clocks up this weekend. It's time to plan a get together for the PA, South Jersey, Delaware folks, as many as can make it. Once we do one, it will get easier to do another, and another.

My 911 is gone, my Dino isn't ready, but I don't care. We need to figure out two or three times we can do something, and then do it.

I can always drive my slightly slow, outdated, but pristine condition '74 TR6. But.... we need to drive!!!!

So, please respond. Saturdays or Sundays, morning or afternoons. What works for the rest of you guys. April, May, What??? I know that April 24th is the ROE, so that's out.

When's Reading? Maybe we could caravan to that?

Otherwise, I'm just going to drive around alone on Goshen Road between Villanova and West Chester every weekend until I spot some of you guys.

2. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    OMG, not another TR6 owner -- we're a dying (or at least rusting) breed!

3. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, we are getting closer to cruise weather.
    I'm in. For me, a sunday or monday is good.
    How long before the dino is ready?
    You must be going nuts.

4. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#4 dm_n_stuff, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Sweet looking TR6! Isn't is a great feeling to hop in the TR6 after driving just about any other modern vehicle? Simplicity at its best. I feel like I'm sitting at the level of a skateboard, with only a one-inch foam pad under my butt. :)

We've had our '74 since 1976. Too many fun memories from our younger days - we just can't bear to part with the car (although I could drop-kick thoses damn Z-S carbs down the fricking sidewalk...).

Yours is a very nice example of a great little sports car. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Brad

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Steal some HD-6 from a TR4 and away you go. Or any jag, for that matter, retrofit them, punch up the horsepower, and eliminate the hassles, once you get the linkage squared away.

Of course, we also tweaked the cam, bumped the compression, etc. I had a race guy prepare the engine, cost about $4K, but by Ferrari standards, that's cheap, right? Probably puts out 140 HP, give or take.

I found a kit for the linkage, just can't remember where. But the HD-6 really eliminates the carb crap.

And, since it was my thread, consider it un-hijacked.

Dave

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Geez, any day now, I'm told. I stopped by this afternoon and they are buttoning up the motor as we speak. Ran into many unforseen troubles with the rebuild. Sent the heads out three times before we finally got that right. But, better to really get it fixed now.

I'm guessing the bill (oops car) will be ready about the same time as my tax return. Making that day a wonderful check writing extravaganza.

And yes, it is killing me. I almost bought a Maserati Spyder because the need for some speed was really getting to me. Thought about it for the daily drive, but, for the moment at least, have backed off on that.

I'll drop you a PM after the shakeout cruise and see if we can't get it together for a spin.

thanks.

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Sunday's afternoon's are best for me! That is also a day my Dad normally is just hanging out around the house so you could count him in with the 355.
    Erik
    BJS Nice grand sport I have always liked those! Esp the convert. Rare car nice.

9. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I haven't even thought about driving much anymore. Not with this 40 degree and rain stuff we've been having!

Hmmmmmm, any good Sunday brunch locations around the area?

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Make you guys a deal. Put on your sunday finest (That would mean no sneakers or jeans or sleeveless t-shirts) and we can all meet for Sunday brunch at my club, my treat for the first ten people, couples included. We'd have to land there by ten or so, eat our brains out, then continue on to whatever cruising destination you want. It's near Villanova, and a stone's throw from Goshen road, etc, so we can tour the Main Line and go a country cruise.

We'd need to plan a little in advance, so if interested, PM me, and we'll work on the details.

Dave

11. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Dave, I'm in depending on date!!!

12. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Are you a member of Overbrook Dave? Got to run
    Erik

13. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    My passion for working on the TR6 has waned, but I have to admit it would be verrry tempting to make the thing run like it did from the factory. My Z-S carbs were stolen from a Vauxhall in a pathetic attempt by a previous owner to strip the car of its smog stuff. Never have gotten them properly sorted out (fouling plugs, poor acceleration, poor running when warm, etc.).

Don't know what HD-6's are, but I think I want a set! :)

BTW, I don't know about NY, but NE Ohio is supposed to get 2 inches of April snow tonight/tomorrow. :(

Brad

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

SU carbs. HD-6 was standard on the TR4's. You have to work with them a little, but, man do they make a difference. And, they stay in tune. I haven't touched the carbs on my car in over two years.

You can go HS-6 too

Moss motors sells a retro fit kit.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=39723

I actually bought my set on ebay for about $300 a few year ago.

Or stick it on a flatbed, send it out east, and let Cloverleaf Racing fix yours like they did mine. www.cloverleaf-racing.com

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yup.

They have a nice big parking lot where we can stick the cars.

It'd be a blast.

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Pick a Sunday in May. Weathers nice, roads are clean, away we go.

I don't know if there's enough skill/speed to organize something for April at this point.

Oh, and I think I'll invite NNO to take the train down for the event. Gotta meet this guy.

17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dave my Dad (Dave Panichi) has been a member there for over 20 years. I got there all the time esp. Sunday brunch its great not to crowded and the atmosphere is awesome. I must have seen you before. Also, you must know dick campian(sp) and Vic Magitti(sp) both f-car owners at the club. Awesome Dave you should have mentioned it before. I am up for it and now you can def. count my Dad in!
    Erik
    What a small world!!

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Erik.

Been a member maybe 18 years. Got in when the getting was cheap. Don't think I'd like to pony up the current membership initiation fee. Well... it's all in the timing.

I usually drove my 911 there, Guards red, camel interior, but just sold it, so I'm waiting on the Dino for this planned cruise.

And since you guys are members, then we'll just use your number when the bill comes due... (You do know I'm kidding, right?)

We'll get it together on this.

Dave

19. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dave my Dad did the same as you did. Now, he wouldn't even be able to be a full member or even wait the years you have to be a house member. He won't mind using his number he joined so long ago they were still using 3 digits. Just make it at the beginning of the month so he can work the rest of the month to pay for it :). I think I remember your 911. There are a few there though.
    Erik
    P.S. remember when they redid the grille the time before the fire not after the fire. That was my Dad's work. He is a commercial builder and helped overbrook out then. Small World

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yep, ditto on the three digits.

They actually used to recycle the numbers. But, no more.

And yes, I remember the remodel. Got rid of the awful green with the dining pit and replaced it with a very nice dining area.

Fortunately and unfortunately, the timely fire provided an excuse, and the funds for the latest remodel. Although eating in the tent in February never stuck me as much fun. I pretty much skipped the club for that rebuilding year.

21. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah it wasn't to much fun eating in a tent by the pool in the middle of winter. How often do you play?
    Erik

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Since the second reconstruction on my shoulder a few years ago, I haven't touched a golf club in anger in some time. Feels like hitting a baseball wrong on a cold day every time I swing a club.

Tore both of them up pretty badly playing rugby for too long.. Jammed my back up pertty good too. So, golf is out.

Need a nice set of leftie clubs?

23. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    thanks but I am right handed. I don't really play though just shank some at the driving range. I have more fun driving to overbrook then on the golf course.
    Erik

24. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dave I have to go. pm me or email me next time your heading over there for sunday brunch. We normally go a few times a month.
    Erik

25. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    It's raining, no wait it's snowing, oh wait it's raining again. What kind of crap is this?