what to buy? | FerrariChat

what to buy?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by smg2, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    new guy here, stumbled into the site looking for real world info on Ferrari's and Maserati's. i have been looking into purchasing a weekend car for long drives and mostly fun. i just bought a 2nd house closer to my folks, however it's about 600 miles away from this one. so it needs to be able to a) handle the drive and b) not hurt like hell after 8hrs of driving. oh and seat 4, can't forget the little ones.

i was looking at the maserati 4200 coupe but i'm undecided after reading alot the opinons here. even though i probably won't re-sale the car it would irk me none the less to see its value drop considerably. i'm limiting myself to 100k since this would be car #4. are there any Ferrari's that fit into that catagory? or should i just look into a used maserati as opposed to a new one? i really do want something you don't see everyday, although down here in OC you do see a fair share of Ferrari's.

UUUHHHGGG! so many choices. i already talked myself out of a 996, back seat not really a seat and they are everywhere. to bad we can't buy TVR's here. well any help would be appreciated, not familiar with the italian line of cars. i like to know what i'm getting into before i jump. I've had 4 M5's and loved them bought a new M3 and regreted it ever since. but the handling and finnesee is something i've grown accostomed to although i think the prancing horse won't dissapoint. long post short, cost/value, maintenance, problems, reliability, service and support. i like to drive and as a result the cars are driven hard not "bull in a china shop" but at the limit 99% of the time. I.E. 4 sets of tires a year 2 sets of rotors and numerous pad/oil changes. no collectables for me i would ruin their value quickly with mileage, even with mostly weekend runs i still log over 20k a year.

sorry for the long post but i figured in order to offer suggestions one would need a small synopsis of the maner and driving style i have.

thanks for your time....

2. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Welcome!

First - remember choice is a good thing! Anyway, you have already probably read my posts about the problems I had with my first Maser coupe, and the subsequent remedy Maser NA provided. You have also probably seen the numerous posts by owners that did not have much problems with their cars at all. I guess I was unlucky...

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend a test drive in a Maser. Everyone else's opinion should take a very distant second place to your own analysis. If you need to carry 4 real people over long distances, I think the Maser is a fantastic option - it really is a fantastic GT. Not a canyon carver in the Ferrari or Porsche sense, but it does not mind being wrung out. Effortless on the highway. The only problem is fitting 4 people PLUS THEIR LUGGAGE for a long weekend trip might be a bit of a problem (particularly if they pack a lot). The trunk is quite small - so I would recommend taking 3 lady friends to nudist beaches as often as possible. Regardless, overall accomodations for 4 people are better than what Jag, Porsche or AM offers.

Another possibility is a CL500, which is in the same price range. Significantly slower, but also a great GT. It is a bigger car, so will fit 4 people a bit better, and has better luggage space.

If you willing to step "down" a notch you might consider a CLK55 or M3. Both are sporty, quick, and can fit 4 people. In terms of true GT cruising however, you might be willing to pay for more. My impression is that the CLK would be better for long highway trips.

There is also the possibility of getting a used 4 seater Ferrari. I don't have much knowledge of these so maybe others will chime in.

Oh, I almost forgot the 645 BMW - that is a possibility, I think it seats 4. Not sure when the M6 will be out, but sounds like it will be a scorcher.

I am keeping my recommendations to 2 door coupes only, since it seems the direction you want to go...

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I love the Maserati Coupe. I drove one the other day and not only was I impressed by the power and grunt but it has a real live useable back seat and is loaded with luxury. It's a car that you can drive spiritedly or take 3 people out to dinner. And there isn't one on every corner.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I an owner of a Maser coupe and current or past owner of a 360 spider, M5, CLK55 & 996tt, I would not count out the Maserati if I were you. I just read a coparo test between the Maser coupe , 645, and the CLK55. There was in the end only one point that separated the three cars. The Maser finished last, but it was first in all the places that mattered to me. I love the car, and if you put on a set of straight pipes it roars, sounds better than a stock 360 engine, and has better low end torque. I switch between the Maser and a Cayenne turbo as my daily drivers and it has proven to be both powerful and comfortable, and a blast to drive. I lost more than 20k when I got rid of the CLK(that was after 1year), and I buy cars to drive them, and realize I going to take a hit no matter what car I buy. My local dealer seems to be doing well with Maserati, they seem to be selling fairly well, and you can get some great deals on used ones, they have a couple on their showroom floor right now.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    thanks for the replies. i haven't discounted the Maserati yet. I did look at the Mercedes line up and really don't want a slush-box. I had been a loyal BMW buyer for 10yrs until the M3 it has taken a law suit to get a resolution, A real shame. they have changed from the driver orientaited manufacture they once were to more of a profit by any means, can't tell if its Quant faimly pressure or not. So another BMW is not going to happen for a long while. as i diverge for a moment, the dealership went out of thier way to accomadate and help me as best they could. in the end BMWNA tied thier hands forcing me to take legal action. most bad situations have been due to a lackluster dealer but in this case the manufacture decided to screw a customer; great cars though. i'll get off my box now.

OKay the current choice options. i have driven the Maserati and oddly enough prefer the 6-speed to the cambicorsa. maybe more seat time would change that but considering the driving would most likely not require alot of shifting it may take awhile. power is good and is where it's needed for a street machine. for "bang your head in the glass" acceleration i have my "toy" a 69' BBF for strip only. any input on 4 seater Ferrari's would be great, age isn't important as cost of parts and reliability for such a long drive. do any Aston Martins fall into this catagory? i've always liked thier sexy look but considered them to expensive for my budget. well time to get my day going the little one is pestering me for attention.

thanks for the help.

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston

7. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I will give the Maserati my vote. My feet are a bit big for the manual so I prefer the Cambiocorsa (Sport mode only! Also opt for the SkyHook!!). IMHO The Maser coupe is a better value than the Ferrari 456 2+2. Service will be cheaper and car will be more reliable (Maser has Chains not Belts). Look for a "Used" model sold through an authorized Maserati Dealer. Make sure all the service and recall work has been done and there is a remaining warranty. That way if you encounter any problems your friendly Maser Dealer is there to back you up. Price for used models varies I’ve seen them in the high 60's with relatively few miles (Under 10k).

MEMO on the Aston Martin. (my only experience is with the DB7) Its a good looking car and comfortable for those long drives. Styling is unique and gets attention. You will have no problem auditioning bond girls at the local mall! If your interested I know where you can find a solid convertible for under 60K. Not a bad deal for the bond affect.

Happy Hunting!

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    i definately would recommend a Maserati Coupe 6speed manual with the newer mags, metallic black with burgnundy on black interior. one sweet elegant and sporty drive. its the kinda luxury coupe the will spank M3's and 911's while having style and being unique

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yeah I keep going back to the Maserati, ever since i saw the 4200 come out I've wanted one. my only debate it custom order it the way i want it and pay premium or opt out for a used one close to my choices and save 30k. dunno?

anyone know of any significant changes that makes the 04'/05' worth paying full list? the Gran sport looks real good too. well back to the drawing board...

10. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    from wat i know the 2003/04 have upgraded cambiocorsa software and improved skyhook adaptive settings, that being said, getting a used on with very very low mileage would be the most rational choice then adding some nice touches like a Tubi exshaust etcc.... but if u want the gran sport, ah well, thats a beauty

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    before i forget, the "skyhook" utalizes coil-overs. does anybody know if they have adjustable perches to lower/raise the ride hight? the dealer mentioned swapping out for lower springs but to me all coil-overs i've seen and used have adjustable perches. sales guy had no clue what i was talking about, i hate knowing more about cars than the sales people; thats what 10yrs of racing will get you.

12. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Space for 4. Under 100K. Manual. Performance Oriented.

Quattroporte(is it under 100k?)? CTS-V? S4?

13. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

If avoiding full-blown depreciation, exclusivity, and something resembling a back seat are desires, take a look at the Ferrari 456 GT and GTM. Earlier models are well under 100k. Will continue to depreciate, but slower than a new car. Wait until the 612S is out and the 456 will drop more. I am seriously considering one, unless a Boxer jumps out of the woodworks and displaces my 365 GTC/4.

April R&T does a comparo of the BMW 645 and the MB CLK500. The 645 won. Recognize that within a year, both will be more common than a 996.

14. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Autocar (a weekly British magazine) had a comparison between the Merc CLK, BMW 645, Porsche 911, and the Maserati Coupe a couple of months ago. They placed the Merc last. I believe that the other 3 cars were tied for first place. I think that they did not pick a winner as their characters were substantially different.

If anyone is interested, I will dig out the issue and paste text from the article.

15. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    About 2 months back, I purchased a 2002 Maserati Coupe after comparing it to a 2002 911 Turbo.

be happy to explain my choice if anyone is interested...

- Jon

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yes please! that would be very appreciated. i had looked into the 996 but after thinking that i really wanted something different the Maserati stood out.

I know the BMW is a great car for the money, i have owned over a dozen of them mostly M5's and an L6 but as i had the unfortune of getting no help from NA i won't be going back.

the 456M is appealing, however to me it's not the greatest looking of the Ferrari's although thats like arguing over supermodels...

17. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I'd like to see the article, please! :)

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    the Quatroporte i was told est. pricing starting at 95k but it already had a 16 month wait. personally i just found out about it and the sales man was an ass saying that it was my fault for not keeping informed and that orders had been placed 2yrs ago. he just blew a sale.

can't see myself driving a caddie, the RS4 is already an option as thats what the wife wants to replace her CLK. can't argue that if i get a Maserati or Ferrari.

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay bear with me for a sec, instead of one car what about 2-3 Ferraris that fit within the 100k budget and at least one of them filling the requirements? doable? I only ask as I'm eager to learn and wouldn't mind having a new drivetrain to learn from a maintenance stand-did i say I loved working on cars?. just a thought...

I making the assumtion(sp?) that most of you here would know what to look for and what to pass up based on rarity and cost.

thanks, scott.

p.s. this is all becouse i have spent more time parusing the site and have seen some very beautifull Ferrari's.

20. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    The number reason I feel the choice should be Ferrari or Maserati is exclusiveness. You see numerous Porches everyday, I had the Boxster S when it first came out and a year later their were already two more just on my street and throw in the regular boxster and they were everywhere. Then went for the M3 and I do admit that was a great car and very easy to drive fast. But the sound of a car is very high up on my list of priorities and it seems the sound of the M3 is either a love or hate thing. I went thru two after-market exhaust on that car and still could not get that high pitched tinny sound gone. Then looked at the 911s liked the sound better but never liked the upside down spoon look of 911s. Plus they are all over the place also. So even with reading the negative stuff on Maserati I decided that was the car that most fitted, At least for me, all my priorities. Has the exclusiveness the sound which was great even without the Tubi I had put on. Throw in 390 horse 330 lb of torque it had what I wanted most in car. Have only had car for two days and have already got more thumbs up from people than I think I got in the last couple years driving those other cars. And this is with out the top even coming down yet due to our very rainy weather

21. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I having fun writing down my thoughts on the 911 Turbo vs the Maser
    I am going to start a new thread...

- Jon

22. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    600 mile trips, seating for 4 and luggage?

Have you had a look at Jag XJRs? Can you get them in the US?

Awesome motors and cheap as chips here in the UK. Relatively.

The last model (02/03?) oozes classic Jag styling and the R version won't be that common over there (if you can get it). I think they had ~370bhp from a supercharged V8, and are good handlers for a big motor.

Personally I don't even see the Maser as a 4 seater for trips that long. And as for the 911 or DB7, forget it. Your kids will grow up quickly and soon whinge about how little room they have (don't have kids myself, but remember being one in a cramped rear!).

With the cash you save, buy yourself a toy to drive at that's kept at the other end of your journey. A nice 2 seater Ferrari would be ideal :)

23. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    excuse my ignorince but what models are V12? the idea of a used mAserati and an affordable older Ferrari as well as seemed to peak my interest and stay around the 100k mark.
    now to research what specific Ferrari i like. I know a V8 or V12 would be my choice but are these going to be too expensive?

25. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Every ferrari since the dino has been a V/flat 12 or V8...