LOOKING FOR 73/74 DAYTONA | FerrariChat

LOOKING FOR 73/74 DAYTONA

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by msdesignltd, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Guys, I am new to this site however not ferrari!....I am currently seeking a 73/74 daytona coupe or a conversion spyder, Finders fee of 10 minutes behind the wheel will gladly be paid, as long as you keep it under 55. Thanks michael e mail [email protected]

2. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    MS

Why a 73/74?

Rijk

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Eddie Karam had a conversion; he is located nr. Phila. The car has been listed in the FML. His office number is 610 429 9990. I have a cell number for him, but i'm not sure that's public info. Try his office and if you have no luck, i'll track him down for you.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Whart,
    Are you still interested in/looking for a Daytona conversion. I heard a very nice one was just sold in Ohio(it went to Santa Barbara).
    Ed
    Ferrari Market letter has several Daytona coupes for sale.

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Hey, Ed, not actively looking, but interested in the right car. It seems that the legendary "Scaglietti" cut car is like the finding Paris Hilton wearing her knickers; in theory it exists, but damned if you could see one with your own eyes. Bill B. had (and still has, as far as i know) a beautiful one, not cut by Serge but a good one nonetheless, and i know he put alot of time (read: money for those of us who can't do our own work) into it.
    My next F car will likely be an older car, only because i have slowed down on the street and need to get my thrills at a lower threshold. Ergo, an earlier car, preferably an open top, but not a kilobuck museum piece, since i will drive it, and don't want to invest that kind of money in a single car. (The 330gts, which is high on my list, has been getting prohibitive for a good one, although i don't see it as a bad investment even at retail these days. There are a couple i am aware of that are not rat-cars, but they are pricey). Regards.

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    msdesign....

Why a '73 or '74? Personally, I really prefer the early Euro cars with plexi nose, better exhaust, less weight over the nose and cleaner lines with no side market lights. Then again I may be a bit biased ;)

Terry

7. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I am confused (it is late I am too lazy to look it up) but a 1974 Daytona?

Last time I checked 1973 was the last production year for a Daytona...

8. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    The Daytona production ceased during the summer of 1973, although some new, unsold cars sat in showrooms in 1974. Regarding the reference to my "cut" car, it was done in Modena by Auto Sport, aka Bacchelli. They were among the few who actually carried out all the chassis modifications to match the originals. I'm presently completing an article covering the differences between coupes and spyders for a future issue of FCA's Prancing Horse. It will contain photos to make the comparison easier, and provide details regarding what to look for in cut cars.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    KARAMs car was sold when I inquired a few weeks ago, FML has few and they're mediocre...I seek an end of production run car for valueablity purposes as market dictates these become the most desired in future.Autosport has a gorgeous 71 euro restored car but it has 90 K Kilometers, Does'nt leave much room for me to drive and feel like its a young car.........PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED ON ALL LEEDS FOR THIS DAYTONA...Thanks all....Michael

10. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    "I seek an end of production run car for valueablity purposes as market dictates these become the most desired in future"

Thats new to me....

The market is going to value the car based on condition and history. An immaculate condition car with a known history including all maintenance and restoration receipts is going to be what brings top dollar, regardless of year. The Daytona that sold at auction earlier this year for $165K was a '71. Also keep in mind the earlier plexi cars are more rare.... a factor in price as well.

I would also suggest condition is more important than mileage. You may find a 8,000 original mile car, but unless your purpose is to just store it as an investment, it will devalue as you use it and probably cost you more in maintenance up front.

Anyhow... good luck, they are great cars!

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Do not buy these cars for investment purposes. A silly move at best.

Buy it if you want to drive it. Remember all the guys who bought a testa rossa thinking it will be *THE* car of the future, put it up on blocks, AND lost their shirts on them? Well, serves them right...they didn't drive it, the car rotted, and they lost money.

--Dan

12. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    Tspringer and Bobafett are right on the money, literally. Also, end of production runs don't rank with condition, history, maintenance records, etc. Maybe more so with Corvettes, but not Ferrari.

13. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    What about the one Cooper Classics has? (Don't know his reputation, but i know that car has been there a while).