FerrariChat.com New Software Updates... | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com New Software Updates...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the transition has gone very smooth so far. If the birthday bug is the worst we've had so far, that's not bad at all. :)

1) Even though I talked about it in all my posts and mentioned it #1 in my email. There are still many users that don't understand you have to register from scratch on this board. We couldn't convert users over and I think this is good as we filter out many duplicate and inactive users.

2) Yes, post counts and original register date will get updated from your old user account eventually. It will take up to 7 days from the time you submit the conversion form at the bottom of the main page. Please make sure you've already registered before you submit the form. I just did the first batch and it was pretty slow. I only updated about 55 users in about one hour of straight work. I'm sure I'll speed up a little, but it takes time.

3) The profile birthday bug is temporarily fixed. You can now update your profile. However, eventually I do want to remove the birthday field all together. You can just leave it blank and the page will still submit OK.

4) I've added a Homepage and Full Name field to the Profile. In the far future we can look at putting the Full Name back with your username on all posts. An image in the profile is an enhancement that will have to be done in the future too.

5) I know the way the images works is quite a bit different. My idea for the thumbnails was to speed up the board, but it appears many users would rather the board be a little slower if they can see all images. The problem is it will take a bunch of code work to display all images fully. Right now if I turn thumbnails off, then you'll only see one image, all the others will just be a link, which is worse than at least having thumbnails. I will also remove the ability to BB IMG tag. I want all images local so the picture links don't get broken and you loose the images for a Red X.

6) When time we'll offer many more color combo options that you can select from User CP - Options. I think the first one will be lighter colors as even the gray/gray is over powering.

7) Please report all bugs, questions, and enhancement suggestions in the Bugs & Questions forum. Please get this GFD back to regular Ferrari discussions.

I'm gone tonight for a FCA event, but I'll work on the board from late morning until late tomorrow night.

Thanks,
    rob

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    rob - lest you get totally bogged down with silly user questions, whining, and bug reports, please do know that we all appreciate this new board. as expected, this transition has been a bit of a marathon for you, and you've done a stellar job.

things are looking better by the hour. your efforts are most appreciated.

thanks,
    doody et. al.

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I second what Doody said! Great job so far Rob!

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Good work Rob.
    Erik

5. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    same, good job... all the problems will get sorted out eventually, it's only day 2!

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, thank-you, Rob. Your efforts are much appreciated. And thank you for your assistance with my email request.

Barry

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I wonder if you'll be in any condition to work on the board 'from early morning' following the event tonight? :)

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hope the FCA event goes beyond head-clearing after all the software issues you've tackled and nets you a goal. Well-deserved respite from the formidable task you've untertaken to achieve what has become our collective goal of having a new and improved F-Chat.

Fantastic job.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's why I said "late morning". Hey Jim, you and your beautiful wife prepare to hit the town after the dinner if you're game. I guess you might have baby sitters. Anyway, Greg and gang will be hitting Addison afterwards.

10. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Keep up the great work Rob!

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rob
    Home brings you to the old board. The pic aspect of this new board is IMHO horrible. It's slo and a lot more work. Why don't you go back to the old pic system?

12. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Hey guys,

I might have missed it but why was there a board change necessary?

The biggest issue that I can see with the new board is that it will create a lot!!! of lost pictures over time since they would all be hosted outside the board.

One of the great features of the old board was that all pictures were available, no matter when the messages had been posted. If you check the boards out there that have external pictures linked in, you'll notice most pictures over a week old are missing.

Regards,

/Dan

13. sportveloce

sportveloce Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    I like the new board. The only thing that is slightly annoying is having to click "quick reply" on a post to activate the Quick Reply box.

The new session based login is good and the one thing that was lacking on the old board. Colors are good and it has a much more professional look and feel.

Good work Rob!

14. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    ROb we are users and as such you need to make changes in small bites. You appear to be using the GM principle here and are telling the user community what the need and not listening to what they want. Also the ability to not move over profiles plus the lack of instructions to use the new format is causing a lot of frustration. You missed with the KISS principle here and we need a little help.

15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    This software is MUCH more stable/secure and considering the site is getting bigger and bigger, this change is necessary.

Instructions as to how to use the site:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php

If you have any specific questions as to how to use the site feel free to AIM me at kennyherman or email me at [email protected]. If you're really lost email me for my number and I'll walk you throgh the site- it really isn't hard.

16. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Why do you ask Rob questions if you don't listen to what he says? He has spoken to the pic issue above... and pointed out that its not so easy to "go back to the old pic system". Even taking a step in that direction would make things worse. But he'll work on a better solution for us.

IMO, I think the current stuff will be workable if the thumbnails are a bit larger (so you can see the pics adequately in most cases) AND if clicking the thumbnails opens a page with a pic rather than doing a download.

Rob has also spoken to this. Rob agrees with you and has turned off the pointing to externally hosted pictures. He too wants all the pics hosted by the site so that they do not later get "lost".

Some of the things mentioned over the past couple months include:
    1) to reduce the maintenance load on Rob (given he does this for free, that goal alone is good enough IMO... if we were paying $100/yr, then that wouldn't count for anything)
    2) to provide a number of features that are repeatedly requested by users

First, if we had each paid $100 or more for this software, then we could certainly quibble that he should do more user testing. But given we paid $0...

Second, you need to understand how this works. Rob's not coding the core capability. That is many, many man-years of effort. Rob is moving from one core bulletin board software to another. In doing so, he can try to keep things the same... but he is dependent upon the software base. And he can't work around a lot of things unless he's willing to invest 1000x more time than he already is.

So, guys, if you're going to complain, at least sound appreciative. Rob's been working very hard so that we can all play.

AND, as Rob has requested, post your bug reports and enhancement requests to the proper forum (links at the bottom of the forum list).

As for my opinion, Rob, it doesn't feel like "home" yet like the old site did, but I am going to like a lot of the features... and suspect after a week or so, it'll start to feel like home once again. THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK.

And already, the site is in better shape than many of the forums that I participate on.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Brian
    What part of horrible is a question?
    It's an opinion.
    Asking why he doesn't go back to the old system re pics esp. as the VAST majority agree it was better wasn't an question either it was a kind way of pointing out that unless he does a lot of us will move on as a lot do when something changes for the worse. It's much like the new 745/750 some buy it others don't. Clicking on a thumbnail and downloading a file not only takes time it breaks the flo of the post and downloading files from the intenet isn't a great idea either as some very nasty things can happen if that file is infected. Non?

18. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Well Kenny - I think your post speaks for itself :cool:

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually other than the posting of pictures Rob has done a pretty good job.

First thing:

Many wanted to see original post at the top, and others wanted it at the bottom. Now we can choose!!!

Second thing:

Many wanted to be able to ignore or not see some posters ... Now we can by putting them in our ignore list ... I think (haven't tested this yet, but I assume that is the theory).

So please, I think we should take it a little easy on Rob, as he has tried to give us what we asked ... so relax on the Rob why have you not given the users what they wanted type of question. Read a few really old posts on the original FerrariChat and you will find a huge post where Rob asked us for what we wanted ... if you said nothing, then you missed your chance :)

So once Rob has made posting the pictures (which is critical Rob, as after all pictures of cars make a CAR forum much more useful than just talking about them. I actually do not mind the thumbnail idea (could this be another user option) but would like to be able to see the full size picture if I click on the thumbnail :) )) as good as the old site, we all should be happy I think.

Pete

20. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Exactly. If it was a question (as "asking why" usually implies), the answer was already presented by Rob in this thread. If it was not a question, then you're just *****ing by suggesting that Rob ought do quickly what he already said he can't do quickly. If what you meant was, "I am going to leave this site and never return if you are unable to return the pics to the way they were." Well, then, see ya... 'cause Rob already conceded that he will be unable to do that quickly. So, what was your point again? Sorry if I missed it... again.

21. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    On my winXP home sustem a thumbnailed image opens in the standard windows picture viewer, the application assigned to .jpg files. Not to bad, maybe it can be configured in IE or somewhere.
    Another thing, I think the site is much slower now. I find myself shift-clicking on threads to open several in new windows, and to be able to do a quick return to the threads list page by closing the new windows.

22. rcd01

rcd01 Rookie

Aug 22, 2003
    Aw nuts...

23. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I HATE CHANGE, BUT ILL WORLK ON THIS

GOOD JOB ROB, THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORTS

BRUCE :eek:

24. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    James G. - I hope you dont mean that you would leave the site if Rob does not change the way pics are presented. I have always found you to be a very fascinating part of this forum.

The bottom line is this - the old software did not handle the volume we had gotten to - period. Rob did not have a choice.

The new software is different and will take a little time to get used too.

Apart from the picture thing - I much prefer it.

As far as pictures go, its not bad for me. I click on the picture and it opens up. In great resolution. James - I dont download it - do you have to?

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thanks for all the efforts Rob. No one likes change but I am sure this is a step for the better with this forum.