550 minor issues, questions | FerrariChat

550 minor issues, questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by speedball, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I recently bought a 2000, Maranello with 8,300 miles on it. I can't tell you how much love this car. Traded up from a 850 Csi, and 996 C4.

I have a couple of questions for Maranello owners.

The hand brake is difficult to release at times ... is there some trick I should know about? I've tried every possible method to fully release the parking brake to the point where the "brake" light on the dash goes out...... sometimes I have to pull and release the handle 6 -7 times before I can get the light to go out .... any ideas ... or is this an adjustment issue. Once the brakes are correctly released the light doesn't flicker or come on until I set the hand brake again.

The radio works but the AM reception is beyond terrible at times. Many times just static. Wondering if this "normal" for this radio. FM works great.

My brakes squeal pretty bad at very low speed when braking. Is this normal? What's the correct fix for this. Any recommendations on better pads or little tricks to minimize this issue. Also, if I need to change pads I would like to replace with low dusting ones.

Lastly, I've read a lot of threads regarding the stock exhaust being too quiet. I agree ..... any recommendations on a great sounding and somewhat louder exhaust for the 550? It seems there's a 50/50, pro/con split regarding Tubi's. I'm interested in replacing the original mufflers and would ideally like to find some used ones if they're out there. $ 3,000 for Tubi's seems a bit much for two mufflers .... but then again .... I guess it's welcome to the Ferrari club! Get out your pocket book............

All replies welcome ... also feel free to include any other bits I should know about.

Thanks,

2. viper

viper Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CHICAGO, IL
    Full Name:
    DR. J
    In order for the parking brake light to go out, when you release hand brake, you need to keep the switch pressed in when you bring it down. If you don't keep it pressed in, the light doesn't go off. That may be your problem.

Dr J

3. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I pull up on the brake handle to lock them ... then push the handle down to keep it out of the way..... when I try to release the brake I pull up again, press the button and move it back to the down position (as you stated) ...... the brakes do release but not always 100% ... so I pull it up again and repeat this process a few times before finally getting the light to go out. I guess what I was asking is if others have experenced this. Sounds like yours works effortlessly. I know it's a minor issue ..... I read the owners manual and tried several different things .... like pulling up hard before releasing, pulling softly, pulling only halfway, etc. Mine seems to need repeated attempts to get the light to go out. At this point I don't like using the brake handle unless I really need to.

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Both my Maranellos did this, current car since new. I quit using hb. I think it is the warninglight switch. Enjoy the car, and welcome. You'll love driving it.
    AM is useless. Use FM or CD's.
    Try Stebro x pipe and Cargraphic exhaust, or x-pipe and Tubi straight pipes.
    Fuel warning light usually comes on early, so you have 7-8 gallons left often when it comes on.
    Belt service due soon. What colors/options?
    FWIW
    Lee

5. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    I recently had the Capristo exhaust put on my 550 and I have been very pleased with it. It really makes the car sound much more visceral. There is some resonance at the lower RPMs but nothing too bad. I got mine thru Heiko at HGParts (one of the site's sponsors). I am considering adding the Stebro X pipe as well. If you haven't seen a Capristo exhaust you should check out Heiko's site - they really are pieces of art in themselves.

It took me awhile to get used to the handbrake. Basically, all I can say is what others have already mentioned. You need to hold in the button when you release it. Other than this, there isn't much I can add...

I had the brake pads replaced immediately (terrible squealing issues especially as my car has the Fiorano handling package). I went with a Ferodo pad (can't remember the number but I could look it up if it helps). I have found the new pads to be excellent for driving around - I actually think they respond better than the factory pads but I don't track the car so I cannot say how they would perform on the track.

I am not a fan of the radio/CD - not that I use it that much. I am considering an upgrade of some sort - just don't know whether it will be worth the money...

Enjoy the new car!!!

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

When depressing em. brake button to release brake, pull handle UP slightly, then down. This works on mine perfectly, every time.

Lotsa exhaust choices for muffler & resonator. Lee & I are coming from the same page on this one. Don't like Tubis on the V-12's. Never tried Capristos.

You say you have Fiorano package on your 1999 Maranello? Impossible, IMO. Wasn't made available until the 2000 model year run, IIRC.

However, 2 ways to also get rid of brake squeal are (a) drive faster & brake more and/or (b) on a vacant stretch of road, do 4-6 aggressive (but no ABS) brak eapplications from 70 MPH to 20 MPH, without stopping.

Enjoy!

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dave: what are your impressions of CG + Stebro now? I am curious as you feel exactly as I do about exhausts...

Also, Dave's method for releasing the hand-brake is spot on. Works for me everytime as well. Picked it up from Jags.

Lee is right - belt time soon. But then when isn't Lee right? :)

--Dan

PS: The answer is when I'm arguing with him... :p

8. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    Maranelloman,

My car is a Euro, it was available on Euros in 1999 - US cars not until 2000 (I have the original invoice from Symbol Automobile in Switzerland which I can scan in if you would like to see).

Later.

9. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

David Wood, thanks for the correction--I did not know yours was a Euro. Allow me to say that the Fiorano package is the one option I regret NOT getting on my 2000 model. But then again, I track the heck out of my car. It is too bad you don't, because it is much more set up for it with the Fiorano package.

Bobafett, overall I am smitten with the combination. At WOT on the track, it screams just like an old GTO on the Mulsanne Straight--no lie. Slightly louder at idle and at gentle street speeds, even with windows up. But at highway speeds, as silent as the original car. And when you get on it, it has an other-worldly snarl that gives me wood every time!!!!

10. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood

11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    LOL. Or my wife. My Stebro is sitting in my garage still waiting for me to install. Since November. Sigh.

My jags never needed HB either, they always stalled waaay before I parked ;)
    Or ran out of gas...XK-SS had 40gal tank, no fuel gauge.

I like Dave's idea...drive faster and brake more...
    Enjoy
    PS, try for the refill record...I put 29.66 gallons in a 30.1 gallon tank...left an easy 1/2 gallon lying on the table ;)
    Lee

12. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    You guys have been great with all the advise...... and collective experiences. Thanks for answering my questions.

I was fairly certain that the issues I raised were common to most Maranello's...... and you confirmed this ...... so I won't worry about the AM radio, HB and squeeky brakes as much.

Regarding belt service ..... I spent a whole evening reading page upon page of postings on this issue..... seems people are split 50/50 on this..... yes, I understand what crashing valves can do to my pocketbook. My manual says 30k on the first belt change... 15k for adjustment. Do I really need to do this now? I also read that they changed the specs recently to every 3 years or 30k whichever comes first .... half the postings were positive this was nothing more than a "full employment" plan for Ferrari mechanics ... the other half no longer gets a good nights sleep because they worry this every day. I'd like to think I could get 15k and 5 years out of mine....... Am I being unreasonable ...... or am I insane? That's half what the manual says...... besides..... The cheapest car made gets 60k minimum on their belts ..... are we to believe that you pay 10 times more for belts that are 10 times worse? OK ...OK .... I already know this one........ welcome to F cars...

dwood .... I'm going to look into the Capristo exhaust ... I really need a better sounding exhaust ....... need it more than anything else I can think of!!!! What did you pay for yours? Do you really feel the need to add the x-pipe? Regarding pads..... I'll look into Ferodo ... where's the best place to get these? What 's the right price on a full set of pads? Anyone have other recommendations on pads?

I also can't wait to try the brake release ideas several of you posted.

Thanks,

13. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    #13 dwood1969, Mar 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    speedball,

I got the pads from an online store in NY (I think). If I remember correctly they were about $200 for the set (don't quote me on this because I am not absolutely sure). The URL for the store is:

http://www.raceshopper.com/ferodo_brake_pads.shtml

I am also posting some pics of the exhaust when it was put on. I paid $2100 from Heiko (which included shipping) but I believe that this was a "special" that he was offering at the end of last year. The car probably doesn't need the Stebro X pipe but it is relatively inexpensive so I thought that I would try it and see if I like it.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with......

David

PS The pics show a comparison between one of the stock parts and the Capristo, a shot of the Capristo exhausts and one with them actually on the car. They are obviously much smaller and lighter than the stock parts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Speedball: regarding pads - I just swapped to the Porterfield R4Ss. They are a *much* better compound than stock, very little squeeling (I chamfered the edges slightly to help with this), and they dust considerably less than stock.

All pads (both axles) were $280 including shipping + taxes. Not bad, considering OEM fronts are $900 retail, less whatever discount your service guy gives you.

By the way, if you can listen to the CG exhaust too. I'm in Hillsborough, CA if you're nearby - you're more than welcome to drive to compare.

--Dan

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dave: I am sold. Clamps or welds?

--Dan

16. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    bobafett & dwood ......... I'm still very new to this Ferrari pricing thing...... but went into this with both eyes wide open...... it's a joke the dealer asks $ 900 for front pads that squeek and dust like the $ 10 Pep Boys brand .... especially when you're able to find much better ones in the $ 200 range..... You'd think if Ferrari is charging top dollar ... they'd at least be the best there is......

And thanks for the pics of the exhaust and links ..... as soon as I sign out of here I'm going to their web site ... and then the other site to order some new pads..... and I agree with and thank you for the chamfering advise..... anything to minimize squealing.

I'm interested in buying a full "factory" service manual .... any ideas?

For the record ... I'm in Pasadena ..... not sure where Hillsborough is but sounds like SF area. Would love to hear some different exhaust tunes before buying.... but I don't think can go another week without placing an order....... My 550 just doesn't sound like a Ferrari.... oops ... did I just get myself banned .........

17. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Speedball - I am in BeverlyHills with a 2000 550 with a fuchs exhaust. If you are in the area I would be happy to give you a looksee.

Also, I made the same parking brake mistake at first. Do not let go of the button until the brake is all the way back down.

Mike

18. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Mike..... what do think of your Fuchs exhaust ...... I'm sure you like it .... any pros/cons to mention...... and where did you buy these.......

Also... thanks for the invite ... I may take you up on this ......

19. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi there,

Speak to Manu or Ajay at Scuderia Systems for the various exhaust options.
    They recommended not having the full tubi because of the Resonance issue but instaed to remove the rear 2 silencers and replace with Tubi straight pipes. I had this done for 1200 gbp and the result is just an awesome growl when you step on it. Kids in the street go wild when they hear it.

Zak.

20. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Speedball: yes, SF area. Fuchs is the same as CG.

www.porterfield-brakes.com is where I got mine. Ask for a 1st timer's discount...

--Dan

21. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    A couple things ...... thanks for all the replies and input .... I decided on the Tubi's and have already ordered these ...... I'm concerned about the issues some have posted with Tubi's .... but like VHS verses Betamax .... it seems Tubi's have become the overwelming perferred aftermarket exhaust .... and I've heard (fingers crossed) that the ones made after 2002 resolved the resonance issues. I'll update once I get these on the car .....

I've now had three weeks and 1,000 miles with my 550, what a great car .... and regarding the brake handle release issue I started this thread with .... That's all in the past .... I learned that the problem was making sure you move the handle 101% of the way down before releasing the button. I'm pretty big and tall ... and it's a long (back wrenching) reach getting the handle that last 5% of the way ..... but for the past two weeks ...once I figured this out .... never a problem again.....

22. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Speedball, great thread eh? I, too, am new to 550 ownership and like you am thrilled every time i get behind the wheel, or for that matter, even lay eyes on her. I have the fuchs sport exhaust on my car and it sounds great. I enjoyed the hbrake issue as that has plagued me as well.
    OK, I am interested in the cross pipe mod, where is the best place to get a set?
    Can someone post a pic or explain the exhaust layout for the 550 as I have not had the car up yet.
    Last question, have any of you guys added any of the Fiorana susp. components or similar aftermarket products and what was the result.
    thanks guys, John

23. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    PS, Scott, I went ahead and did the 30k belt service, for peace of mind and "insurance". It was also nice to have a great mechanic break things down and rebuild even though my 98 is a very low miles car.
    I also did not know the Fushs and the CG are the same. Nice sound.

24. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Riverflyer .....

What did the 30k service cost for your 550 and where did you have this done.......

Also ... I replied to your question about brake pads on another thread ....

25. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Speedball, I had the work done at Ferrari of San Francisco. I chose them as they are the factory owned shop, could get the work done in a timely fashion, that the service would be worth more to a prospective buyer should I want to sell, and the fact they are the closest shop to my home.
    I think the belt service alone was about 5700. I found them to be very professional.
    I especially liked the fact that the same guy who worked on an F40 that was trucked all the way across the country specifically to have him work on it, worked on my car.
    And last, but certainly not least, they had in the neighborhood of $14,000,000 worth of Ferraris on hand and it was just mind blowing to walk around and see this vast array of cars, all the colors you ever wondered about etc etc. Cool experience just being there.