My thoughts on "ricers" | FerrariChat

My thoughts on "ricers"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Seth, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    ok first off i want to say that i do not have a ferrari nor do i have any sort of ricer or whatever you want to call them(i have a tottaly stock mercedes), what i do notice though is that a lot of people here really hate people who have ricers and think there cars are all total crap...

heres the problem i have, now im not saying all the people here are old(50's-60's) but i know that some people in here had some big block chevy/camaro/corvette whatever and probably modded the hell out of that/their car when they were young or still do...

so whats the difference between these groups? granted most ricers are for show rather than racing, but if they do race its the same thing the muscle cars did, drag racing. and most muscle cars today seem to be only for show and the rare sunday drive...

also hasnt this happened through every generation? my grandfather talks about modding his 38's and what not, my mom talks about her friends camaros and 442's, and most people today mod japanees(sp)... and every so often something comes about to stop the current trends(wars, no gas, pretty soon hybrids/fuel cells)

i my .02 cents....

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What's a ricer...?

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

He is talking about Japanese cars that people drag race. Integras/civics and the like.

4. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    just think of the fast and furious, thoses are all ricers, i think thats where the term orginated...

5. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    It has something do do with cars.

I thought it was a China man who farms rice. You learn so much in a day.

6. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you think the term originated from the F & F movies, you really are very mistaken.

EDIT: Import drag racing is nothing new. Frank Choi and his friends were out in Palmdale at LACR (los angeles county raceway) in 1982 trying to drag race their cars there, but were not allowed to. Thus they took it to the streets of Sylmar and Sunvalley and some other places in Los Angeles.

However he went back there, and was finally granted permission to race and thus started the IDRA (import drag racing association). Last 3-4 years there have been many IDRA events held there. Adam Saruwatari broke the 9 second 1/4 mile mark there with his RX7 and Stephen Papadakis was the first honda there in the 9s and later in the 8s. Eddie Bello (Porsche guy that does serious wheelies) came out there a few times and so did (guys name escapes me) but he had a 70s rx7 that used to do 8s, bright red color.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, yeah, they're all over... i know what they are, i was just trying to start an argument... i find the term "ricer" offensive and racist... Similar to when people refer to "bling bling" cars as "ghetto"... i've NEVER seen a 360 Spider with 20" wheels in the ghetto... Makes no sense...

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That term definitely did NOT originate from The Fast & The Furious... i don't even think that term was even used at all in that movie... That term's been around for a while...

9. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I think it started because they only have enough power to cook rice. Some **** like that.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Now considering quite a few of those cars have enough power to beat a lot of other cars out there, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Actually not. Mr. Enourmous dick, as your name says in your profile, the term originated because Asian people such as myself are known to eat rice. Since most Asian kids used to drive such cars, the term ricer started because of that.

Then again your ignorance and stupidity was proven on the other thread.

12. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    no...i think its because Ricer has the asian connotation of Rice paddies etc...Asian stereotype is often associated with rice...thus asian car equals RICER!

-jt

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    My 1991 Suzuki motorcyle was called a "ricer" by the cruiser crowd when it was new. Probably spread to cars as the current trend evolved. The trend's popularity led to the movie, not the other way around.

Call them what you want, guys and girls who modify their cars, some good, some bad, just like us and muscle cars.

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I know you and your Political Correctness ;)

When people refer to such "bling bling" cars as ghetto they don't mean these cars reside in the ghetto. They are referring to the "ghetto" or bad taste the owners possess. They are called ghetto because most of these owners are black, and the stereotype is that black people live in the ghetto.

IN order to full comprehend, you would have to look at the new wave of rap stars. They get rich, buy ferrari, put 20s. They have money but no class or taste. Thus they are called ghetto.

They do all reside in Belair and Pacific Palisades on the west coast, and Hamptons on the east coast. They are ghetto regardless of where they live.

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yup my Japanese motorcycle is often called "rice rocket" which is a derivation of ricer in my opinion.

16. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    intresting, sorry if the term had any offence, i didnt know/think it would did...

also very intresting about the guys in the early 80's, i guess thats how it went to street racing more so than the muscle cars in the 60/70's, not that they only sticked to the strip... :)

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    VERY offensive... You might as well just say "gook" or "chink"; that's how offensive it is... However, i appreciate the apology; it's obvious you weren't being intentionally malicious... Thank you.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

It does not offend me at all. I think today's world too many people get offended by too many things. It is a term given to cars and is personally ok with me.

Yup been a ricer all my life I guess according to your definition so wanted to fill you in with some of the actual history before the thread got diluted with stereotypes.

19. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Stereotypes shmerotypes. This thread went down the ****ter.

20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    SKIZOACE--thank you for calling me all those names. Looks like you did not have the cajones to keep your post on and deleted it.

Yes I am a "$(*#$ Asian, and no I am not 4 feet tall, I am 4'5" and yup my parents came over on boats, and I have a 2 inch penis and my mom does not have boobs.

Did I miss anything?

Next time you want to personally attack me or cuss at me, take it to PM please.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you actually left the post that you made instead of deleting it, rest assured you would be banned.

You might be new, but Rob, the owner of the site, does not like the kind of behavior you portrayed.

I am new as well, however I know better than stoop to such level and attack people like that.

Whatever floats your boat man. I have heard way worse, and have a thick skin.

Good day to you.

22. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    You said it not me buddy. I called you Asian, which you are. Dont take it serious, im 16.

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ryan I deleted it.

PS you missed the 'drive 20 miles under the speed limit' one. :) (though I have never seen this one in person)

24. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Actually you said many things in the post you deleted. You thought I did not see it. Why you gotta lie?

First you lied to Woodear about the money, where he caught you. Then you lied about your friends degree ( no Rice doesn't offer that) and then you called me all the names and backed off.

Step up to the plate or don't post.

25. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    that is exctally what i want, what the culture is all about, it seems to as though every one here thinks the cars are stupid, and "why would anyone want to do that to a poor car", however if it is a ferrari with a wing or some F40 with an outragous body kit it gets praise... why???