308 Horror Story | FerrariChat

308 Horror Story

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by F308 MAN, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Took gina out for a spin this aft, to put some heat into the motor, ready for changing the oils......drives into garage with "glowing" engine, drain engine and gear box oils......detected strong smell of petrol.....petrol pissing out from the side of the off-side fuel tank and along most of the length of the fuel tank balance pipe
    What do you do - run and take cover due to hot exhaust within two inches ?....No, stupid tw@t here scrambled for buckets to catch fuel, fitted zip ties to tubular sections to stop flow of fuel along bottom edges, and then drained the remaining eight gallons into buckets etc.
    Once the danger was over, i drew breath and thought, "stupid b@stard" but then you think, sh*t, what would have been the consequences, should the whole lot have gone up ?
    It appears the tank side and the coolant pipe have been touching and therefore abrading over a period of time until the tank has simply worn through.
    Two morals of this particular story:
    i) 308/328 owners - check there is daylight twixt tank and coolant pipe
    ii) What exactly does mr insurance cover you for in the garage - CHECK YOUR POLICY NOW, not tomorrow.
    regards, david

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Jesus,
    that's very scary and not a little brave what you did.Not many people would have had the presence of mind to do that.Very glad the story has a happy ending.
    Regards

3. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    VERY scary. Glad you're OK David. Just off to check the insurance....

Kevin

4. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Holy ****, good save David!

Ferraris are scarce enough here as it is, good save.

All the Best

5. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Wow, scary indeed. Truely daft thing is insurance would porbably have paid if the whole lot had gone up but will probably do nothing here and may not have done if the fire started with you carting around buckets of petrol

6. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Well first Well done.
    But theres a lesson there for everyone, we love our cars but what if it went wrong, you can get another car???. I am glad it worked out ok though.

Andy.

7. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    .....stripped down this morning and, as suspected, the tank side has perforated......maybe pics on monday.....anybody taken the offside tank out without removing the rear suspensiom etc ?
    regards, david

8. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    David
    Glad you and the car are both OK.I'll check mine tomorow.
    BTW which gearoil did you go for in the end Mobil or Shell

Steve

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I decided on the Mobil 1 SHC 75w 90.
    On the second of my warm up runs yesterday, i had drained and refilled with the SHC simply to flush out any possible trace of the old mineral oil.....the early signs were very good, especially the change from first to second gear......but, i am blessed with a new clutch and the motor and 'box were not exactly cold......i shall let you know how she runs from cold.
    Received far more help from the boffins at Mobil and i do swear by Mobil 1 0w 40 for the motor anyway.
    cheers steve and regards, from the sunny isle of man.

10. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    .....managed to remove the tank without dismantling the rear suspension......the rupture is quite horrifying......it appears that two of the four fabriccy type pads that help to bed the rhs tank have perished, therefore allowing slack in the thin metal strap securing the tank.....the tank has shifted the aprox 12 mm toward the coolant pipe - the rest is history, so to speak.
    On a more positive note, the guys who modify our race bike tanks have agreed to the repair on monday, neoprene pads will replace the old fabric ones, once the chassis protection coat is made good.
    On a belt and braces approach, i shall add pipe insulation to the coolant pipe, as well as a protective pad to the tank within the relevant area. maybe a tad of heat resisting silicone may find it's way in there too.....new flexible fuel pipes are to go in, so malcomn, martin and darren @ ferrari uk parts, "start sharpening those pencils".
    Ironically the night before i had restocked the garage beer fridge.....wonder if mr. insurance would have believed me, and secondly imagine the chaos should the fuel have started to leak on the ferry over.
    Hoping to be "ship shape" for the run out on the 18th.
    regards, david

11. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    David,

Sorry to read about your "adventures" - just back from 2 weeks holiday, if we can help let us know

MW

12. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    thanks malcolm.....rang and asked for yourself this morning.....your colleagues up the road said you'd left and gone to canada !......jeff put me right as they must have the story wrong, apparently mike left for canada quite a while ago and you were simply on holiday.
    Jeff is (hopefully) sorting out the enquiry but i would be grateful if you could gee him up a bit.....have to put "gina" back together before the rideout on the 18th and our lass thinks i'm fitting a new kitchen over easter !