360 mods mostly complete. | FerrariChat

360 mods mostly complete.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Russ Birch, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Well, most of the mods I planned are done. I have yet to put in the red floor mats, the wheel spacers and the carbon fiber /tan leather sport seats. The rest of the mods can be seen on Tracey's photo web page at http://www.tabville.com/gallery/spider.

She was kind enough to take the time to stop and take pictures while all I could focus on playing with all the new toys!!! Now that most of the goodies are on the car I can honestly say it was all worth it. The car feels like MINE. It sounds better, is much faster and looks more like I think the car should look (IMHO!!!) Heiko from HG Parts was right...the ECUs made a huge difference.

Russ

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Hey, Russ!

That Capristo looks awesome in there! Who makes those airboxes?

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    You need to bring it up to Seattle next time!! :) Love the exhaust and challenge grill.

4. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    next step. Turbo's :)

5. Russ Birch

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Willis, the airboxes are made by Tubi Style. A freind of mine was kind enough to pick up all the CF for me at some pretty good prices. Quite a few folks sell it. Ask around, some of the Fchat sponsors sell it. I know that HG Parts, Scuderia Systems and Nick's Forza Ferrari all sell it.

Yeah, the Capristo DOES look great. What's even better is the sound. I mean I have heard a lot of Tubis but the Capritso with test pipes is in a whole different league. The harmonics (3 simultaneous pitches making a chord) are what make the sound so amazing. You just have to hear it in person.

I got pulled over last week when I accidentally passed an unmarked car. The policeman came up to the window with a grin on his face and said " That thing sounds amazing!...I know you're just having some fun with your car, but do me a favor and keep it under a hundred in morning traffic, okay?" I mean he was grinning from ear to ear and then simply got back in his car and drove away. My buddy Adam thinks he just wanted a closer look. (Hey Dave L, what do you think?)

Andrew, this gives you an excuse to come down to FL! (Or any of you NW'ers) Tracey and I would love to have ya' !

Disney is great this time of year.

Russ

6. Russ Birch

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Oops, actually he said "That thing sounds awesome". Hate to misquote the LAW!

7. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Carpistolooks great, challenge grill looks great. Now I do understand that carbon fiber is stronger and lighther. But really does it makes that much of a difference unless if you race??? Why are people so opsest with carbon fiber??? I for don't care for the carbon fiber looks to much.

8. Russ Birch

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    madturk,

The primary reason for me putting the carbon fiber parts in the interior was looks. My last 360 had a black interior and all the silver trim looked great. My current 360 is red over tan, and I just don't think the silver trim looks good against the tan leather. When I saw the CF, it just looked right. Pictures don't give a real good feel for how the CF looks installed, needless to say, it looks great in person.

The funny thing I found out when replacing the silver trim in the cockpit was that the silver door trim panels are stamped steel. The center console is indeed aluminum but it's actually spray painted silver as is the stereo surround and the guage cluster surround. The stainless door sills are very heavy. All of these parts combined weighed a TON! (Well probably 15 - 18 pounds more than the CF) I could not believe how heavy they where.

Overall, I would estimate that with the CATS, the exhaust, the grill, the airbox covers and all the interior parts, I have reduced the weight of the car by about 86 pounds. Now I know that doesn't matter much especially on a spider. The top mechanism itself weighs in at 300 pounds or so, but it's nice to know I am heading in the right direction.

Russ

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Russ:

Car looks great, I really like the CF, Chris at Valence is doing mine for my new spider. I am doing alot of the samethings you did, though I'm leaving the ECU as is. Enjoy.

10. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I did not mean to insult your car in any way. I looked at the pictures and the contrast beetween the tan and carbon looks much better then the original. I am just saying in general people are opsest with carfiber. My 355 has carbonfiber seat and it looks great. But I wouldn't change anything else to carbon fiber. I saw the new CS and the Enzo everything is carbon fiber. It works on those cars. If I was more fortunate right now to own a 360 I think I might be doing the same thing you are. The carbon fiber works for the 360. But not for 308, 328, 348, 355, 456, 550, 575, or any other older cars.

11. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Russ,
    Everything that you've done looks FANTASTIC!! You've got to record the sound of the exhaust or post a short video clip. I hope see your car in person someday.

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Russ, would you please comment more about the ECU's re: power, driveability, ease of installation, price, etc?
    Thanks.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    How did the frog sound?

By the by - any chance you use Opera Browser?
    Your top menu has the exact same colors & lines as Opera's default setting. Blends seemlessly with the Browser shell/address bar.

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It looks amazing! What do the carbon fiber engine mods do for the car?

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Russ,

The better exhaust and CF... Looks sooooooo good it makes me wonder why on Earth did Ferrari NOT come this way as standard. i mean, frankly, the stock version pales by comparison! Congrats and color me VERY jealous.

Perhaps in about 15 years i can afford a 360 that has the same mods. Only took a decade or two for the 308 here as we are in 2003, and the 360 would be the year 2020s 308 equiv.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

PS: Russ, i WILL BE staying at Universal Studios from Dec 19 to Jan 2. PLEASE e-mail me [email protected]

16. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #16 360CS, Nov 21, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Russ,

Im in UK luv the pics, is the TUBI that much different from the Capritso???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Russ Birch

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    GR, Thanks! Doing all these mods at one time was a tough decision but now, in hind sight, I feel better about it every day.

Teak, The ECUs were a breeze. Remove engine bay covers...10 minutes replace the snap-in ECUs...2 minutes, key on for 10 minutes, start and idle car for 15 minutes, turn off, DONE. Made a huge difference. Heiko from HG Parts (an FChat sponsor) supplied the ECUs and all the instructions. Great guy to work with. The set was $5k and worth every penny! $5k represents 2% of the value of the car. It feels like I have ALOT more than 2% more car!

Wax, it's MyIE2 browser, not Opera. Very similar though, eh? The frog was oh, so tasty.

zjpj, The CF airbox covers probably make little or no difference except for looking much better. One might argue that the improved smoothness of air flow and smoother transitions may reduce airbox restriction, I doubt it would make much difference.

SR, drop me a note whn you get into town. Maybe lunch and a drive are in order.

Joe, Tubi vs Capristo? It's all up to taste. Tubi makes a great product. I prefer the looks and by FAR the sound of the Capristo. Rich in harmonic overtones. The difference is kinda like playing one string on a guitar versus playing a chord. The chord just sounds huge compared to the single string. Many people have pulled up next to me at stop lights and commented on the sound...it's not just me noticing the sound. It's a very complex, almost 3D sound. Truly amazing.

I WILL be posting a short video clip as soon as I figure out
    HOW TO DO IT!

Russ

18. Russ Birch

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    #18 Russ Birch, Nov 22, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Russ- Very Nice. I have never really warmed up to the aluminum interior appointments of the newer Ferraris, so (in my oppinion) the carbon fiber looks excellent!!.

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    nice job on the car. Can you tell me who makes the carbon fiber gauge insert? I'm not a huge fan of carbon fiber, but that gauge insert you have looks very nice. Nice touch with the allen heads! :)

21. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
  22. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The harmonic overtones are the primary reason that computer sound clips of the Capristo simply do not do it justice. What's really killer is when you are driving through differing, but enclosed areas (like narrow streets or sound walls), you can not only hear the harmonics, but you can hear them shift in phase. The sound is just incredible.

23. DiMisa1977

DiMisa1977 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2005
    ahhhhh, a tan top. i LOVE that look.

you have stellar taste, bro. stellar.

24. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
  25. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    Just to clarify, we did not make that particular instrument panel, nor any other pieces for Russ' car. We do offer that and a wide range of 360 products, which appear on our website. More pieces, including airboxes, engine bay panels, and rear diffusers are coming very soon.

Panel comparison pics:
    http://www.tabville.com/photos/spider/before_after_12?full=1
    http://www.valenceusa.com/images/fproducts/360/instrument/1-360-instrument-panel.jpg