"Ford Escape" | FerrariChat

"Ford Escape"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by darth550, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I have had a Lincoln Aviator since last August. It is the first American car I have purchased since my IROC-Z in 1985. It may be the last for real!

It has been in the shop SEVEN TIMES for a myriad of reasons:

Seat Heaters
    Seat coolers
    DVD System
    Rear tailgate opening by itself (BRAND NEW PEG PERRIGO STROLLER FLIES OUT)
    Amplifier stops working
    Seat heaters again
    And again.

This time it won't start! I was stuck out last Friday night.

Now here's a question: When you are on a first name basis with the valet from the service department (who is bringing yet ANOTHER loaner) and you greet him by inviting him into your home, offering a cold beverage, snack and show him pictures from a recent vacation...nothing against him but doesn't that seem like he is there too much?

I think so!

Long story short...before he gets on his way over here, he calls to ask me if I would be happy with the available loaner. "Hello Dave, How are you? Is your son feeling better? Good. I have your loaner ready. Are you happy with a Ford Escape?" To which I reply, " NO! I would much prefer an ESCAPE FROM FORD!!!"

The Aviator is going back as a lemon now.

DL

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah the Lincolns have been pretty trouble prone. My dads best friend bought his 16 year old son a Navigator for his birthday, and in the 6 months (about 16K miles), two transmission has been replaced, the rear suspension has been replaced, the differential was leaking, and the A/C was not working.

May it is the 23s he has on there. *sigh*

3. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I dunno. I've got a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis with 200,000 miles on the orginal engine/tranny. Absolutely zero problems with the car. Just did close $1000 in maintenance stuff (tranny flush, new 02 sensors, compeltely new front brakes, rear diff, etc etc). Aside from a $1000 @ 200,000 miles, the car is fantastic. In fact, I just passed smog today with flying colors. Burns virtually zero oil, get 25mpg on the freeway. Love the damn thing.

Keep in mind that your Aviator is probably one of the first thrown off the line. A great rule of thumb is to stay the hell away from any first year new models. Give it two to three years to let a model iron out all the kinks.

4. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    How hard could it possilbly be to wire heated seats correctly, the 1st time?

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Always wondered where that was from, and I just figured it out:
    Glengary, glenross, right? Al Pacino's line.

6. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Especially since the Aviator is the Navigators younger brother, and they have been building those for a while.

Also aren't the Navigator and Aviator rebadged Expedition and Explorer? Well they have been building those for a while before thier LIncoln counterparts come out, and they still can't get their act together.

I think its much more shoddy build quality rather than 1st year issues.

Interesting how my Lexi (Lexus plural? ) never have 1st year growing pains.

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Yeah. I'd still rather have a new ls430 over ANY luxo sedan.

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yup. I mean I don't understand how Lincoln expects me to drop 55K+ on a Navigator or Aviator when the seat heaters won't work and the tranny will fall out. If I want such a subpar car I will home make it or buy a Hyundai!

I mean come on! At these stratospheric prices, mediocrity is unacceptable.

9. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    The quality of Lexi and Toyotas is incredible. Since 1996, we've had 3 Lexi and 2 Toyotas ('96 ES300, '99 GS300, '03 GX470, '96 4Runner, '02 Corolla). The biggest problem out of all the cars has been that the radio antenna came off track on the 4Runner once. Before we became a Toyota-only family, we had a Dodge Caravan that required 4 new transmissions in 1 year, the elecrical system was a disaster (read: windshield wipers turning themselves on and off, etc.), and it had to be jump started at least once every two weeks.

10. Have had a 02 Navigator since Oct 01 it has around 40k miles on it with no troubles once so ever. Nothing but oil changes and details. Sorry to hear about your Aviator.

11. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Its the same way w/me @ Classic BMW. Everyone there knows my name!!

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yes it is.

DL

13. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    And here is the reason that Toyota has surpassed Ford in sales......

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    When it comes time to replace my daily driver I'm not even going to consider an american make. I have been driving a 94 toyota 4x4 daily for the last 6+ years and have been just amazed at the reliability. I have had products from dodge, chevy and ford for company vehicles and they are just the opposite. I can buy a used toyota for a lot less than a new american p'up or suv and have a more reliable vehicle.

15. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    While that may be annoying understandably I dont think there are enough devastating problems on your truck to call it a lemon. There's always a bad apple in the bunch. Thats what still amazes me, no one has patience for the american cars having some issues but pay 3 4 5 times that amount for a ferrari and suddenly its no big deal, the issues will get worked out. Now I dont like Ford but one car having some issues doesnt mean the whole line is bad.

16. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Apples and Oranges. I'm not complacent about nagging problems in any make of car, period.

17. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002

Not to mention one that will last longer. I had a 96 Grand Am GT that I traded in at 117k miles. I replaced it with an Acura Legend with 101k miles. Let me tell you, that Acura drives like a new car. It's reliable as the sun (I've put another 17k miles on it) and have done NOTHING outside of normal maintenance (brakes, tires, tune up) Plus it's tight - NO squeaks or rattles in it (even driving over lovely Michigan roads) Try doing that with ANY American car.