Bahrain Track Discussion | FerrariChat

Bahrain Track Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Looks like a great track, although I haven't seen any video footage yet.

I count 7 decreasing radius turns. It has several straight aways and several hair pins. I think I like it.

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    It is a fantastic track only problem being the amount of sand being blown around, i know that a lot of team principals led by Ron D have asked Bernie to relax the 1 engine rule, if he doesnt the safety car will win only one still running. interesting viewing.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is interesting to drive indeed. I drove it all week in my sim and got some feel for it now: You have in essence two very long straights with hard braking zones at the end. Good for passing.
    The infield has a series of quick left and rights (kinda like Senna esses), very thight and IMHO no room for passing. The hairpin in the middle is very tricky as it is not a 180 turn, but almost a double turn, hard to find the braking point.
    Lastly there is a series of fast 90 degree turns. If you get them right, they are almost like an endless carousel ride. Perfect to bring the car to the limit on understeering, control it with the gas instead of the steering wheel.

All in all an interesting mix. I found a Silverstone like setup to work best. Not so surprising as you have to find a compromise between fast long stretches and some twitchy infield with the stress on the long straights.

PS: I also already drove Shanghai. Very different story though.

4. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Wasn't it during the practice that practically every car was sliding off the track? I didn't see it, but that's what I heard. I'm hoping the race isn't going to be that way.

5. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Temps were in the 50's celsius.......that's over 125 degrees farenheit. Yikes!!!

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    #6 Hubert, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The Only reason that Ron Dennis want to relax the 1 engine rule is so that his pretty boy Kimi will not be docked 10 places on the grid because of an engine fire in practice #2.

The track does look interesting but the surounding area around the track is bland and boring. As for the dust you do see a lot of it being kicked up when the cars go off line.

The most interesting thing i noticed today was the number of Michelin tires caomming apart or going flat. It this keeps up it will be a great sunday for Ferrari :)

Rob

8. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas

that was the track temp... the air temp was actually 88 F during practice #2

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Personally the layout reminds me more of Barcelona. However the track is nothing like either (A1 or Barcelona) as there are barely any elevation changes (huge changes in Spielberg) and the turns are really different. It does have its own feel I would say.

Also nice that they followed the new "standard" for F1 tracks to be wide with forgiving run off areas (concrete in many places). But as I thought from the sim it is tricky and technical and MS confirmed that in the interview.

I have to second Rob's statement about the environment after seeing it now live on TV: Very bleak. And 65,000 spectator seats ain't much, but obviously they got plenty of room to grow and add stands.

Personally I would put the track into the middle of my list. I don't hate it like Magny Cours, with which it shares the flat surface and the barren landscape. But it ain't no Spa either with its history and layout. However I do appreciate the fact, that we have a track in the Middle East. F1 ought to be a global business, even if that means somewhat inconvenient watching times, but I do applaud Bernie in taking it a bit out of Europe and dispersing it around the globe (although he is doing that for other reasons).

10. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    #10 Anthony_Ferrari, Apr 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I think the track is interesting! I agree that it is similar to the A-1 ring and its not my favorite track, but I enjoy it. This of course coming from someone who actually loves Magny Cours :)

12. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This Sunday should be alot of fun for Ferrari. The Bridgestones seemed to hold up better on Friday during practice. I didn't get a chance to see qualifying so i don't know how they held up then.

13. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    after watching the race how right were you,now tell me the winning lottery numbers.

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    If i knew that i would be out buying a new Ferrari for each day of the week :D

15. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Bahrain track is awesome!!
    In my opinion this was the most exciting race so far this season.