Disturbing Films | FerrariChat

Disturbing Films

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by whart, Apr 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    List those which you found most disturbing. Not just trash or slash, but disturbing in a thought-provoking, or profoundly unsettling way. Much of what passes for "horror" is simply schlock or recycled for contemporary audiences.

The film The Vanishing (Spoorloos) is a good example.

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Sixth Sense......scared the Jesus out of me and yet, great twist and unexpected plot.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i have some home videos that - uh, nevermind...

The first time i saw 7, i was pretty blown away... It was really thought out; i like that... Stigmata was also pretty cool, when you consider that there are people in the real world who make claims to similar happenings...

The remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was great; yeah, i know, it's the signature "trash & slash" you mentioned, but it was really disturbing because there are real people like that in the world... One day, you could get lost and never, ever make it back home again.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...!!!

4. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Without hesitation, The Exorcist.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    (whart - I saw elsewhere you're a fan of the horror/thriller/suspense genre - genre's percentage of our VHS collection is high, to put it mildly.)

Some in collection, some not:
    A Clockwork Orange
    Blair Witch (before truth came out)
    Dead Ringers
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Fiancee's fave terrifier - I got her tape of TV-only flick off eBay)
    Eraserhead
    Games ('67 - I've got the Poster)
    River's Edge
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original - it is art with so much hidden meaning)
    The King of Comedy

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I saw it when I was 11 or 12, no effect. I think of it now and I wet myself.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    KIDS was quite disturbing and unpleasant. oddly enough, not when i watched it, but days later as i thought more and more about it. still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Death and the Maiden is rather unsettling.

doody.

8. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Easy Rider, the entire graveyard scene and the whole ending, its obviously not blood and gore disturbing, but still disturbing.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    "KIDS" was awesome...! i remember watching it and wondering how the hell i managed to live as long as i did...

10. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. Crazy flick... crazy ending...

Happiness. Another oddball movie. Several people left the theater at specific points during the film. Only one other guy and myself seemed to laugh and enjoy it though.. ah well.

Oddly enough, I found The Thin Red Line to be the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. I think because it puts things in perspective.. getting an idea for what a bunch of 18 year olds went through on some island in the middle of the Pacific "getting killed for nothing but dirt.." makes you think twice about things when you think you have it rough.

-R

11. mred

mred Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Ed B.
    requiem for a dream

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Monster had its' moments......

DL

13. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    I have to admit "House of 1000 Corpses" kind of bothered me. The movie was so wierd and difficult to watch. I am not syaing it was a good movie, or even a decent movie. It just disturbed me.

I loved the Exorcist. The Shining also disturbed me somewhat.

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    GUMMO

By far the strangest film I have ever seen. Directed by the same guy who did Kids. It's about trailor life in Xenia, Ohio. Very disturbing...

Anyone else see this flick??

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i always saw it sitting on the shelf in Block Buster, but never rented... Didn't know if it would be good enough... Guess i should've rented it...

Anyone on Long Island ever rent L.I.E. ...?

16. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I've been through Xenia once in real life before. I believe a massive tornado wiped out most everything there years back. I've never seen Gummo before though.

-DC

17. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Apparently the tornado ravaged the town and made it an economic black hole.

A couple days after I watched the movie I turned on the TV and saw a news report about how ANOTHER torado had just revisited the city and killed several people. That place is screwed!

18. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Apocolypse Now,

and Watership Down, an animated movie about a pack of rabbits, lots of crazy stuff in that movie.

19. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    8MM

The first and only time I saw that... I was in disbeleif. I felt that, even though it was cleaned up 'hollywood' style, the story teller was trying to send the message that this goes on! and its only the clean version!
    It's not a movie I want to see again, its not a movie to keep in the library for enjoyment.

The Cell
    That dream sequence.... disturbing.

Seven
    Thought provoking and pshycologicly sick.

Schindler's List, The Pianist
    Enraged me! Never had a movie infuriated me to want to grab my AR-15, slap in a 100rd drum and quite frankly kill every Nazi in sight. I'm not going to chronicle the movie, but it it's not one of those movies I would call enjoyment movies. It happened, it is history, and never let monsters of that sort gain power again!

20. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    8 MM is the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. It takes a lot to shock me (not much does), but this film takes the cake.

Ken

21. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Requiem for a Dream, Schindlers List, and the Pianist.

The latter two gave me horrible dreams for several days. Requiem for a Dream was just downright depressing...good but depressing.

22. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Isd 8mm the one with Nicholas Cage. If it is the one I am thinking of, yes, it was very disturbing.

23. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Well, since you mention the tornado in Xenia, Ohio, I guess I'll pass this on ...

The tornado went through 30 years ago today, April 3, 1974, with pretty extensive damage and loss of life. I remember it, because tornadoes went through Cincinnati that same day, but Xenia bore the brunt of it. A Google search will provide ample information, but here's a related link with pictures and testimonials:

http://kitty.net.tripod.com/321/id10.html

Some quotes cited at this link:

It’s the worst disaster I’ve ever seen.”
    - President Richard Nixon
    Xenia, Ohio; April 10, 1974

I’ve been through World War II, and this is worse than any of the bombings in Germany.” unnamed witness to the Xenia disaster “Xenia Half-Demolished, Ohio Toll At Least 35” Xenia Daily Gazette, April 4, 1974

Certainly a sad day in a small town.

24. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Check out Capturing The Friedmans, a documentary that is absolutely riveting. Be sure to watch the additional material on the second DVD.

Gary

25. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gotta hand it to Japanese films. they got stuff that make Ringo(the one that the RIng copied from) feel like romantic comedy.

I think Blockbuster start carrying lots of foreign film now, you might found stuff like Tomi likes there, those are really scary movie.