355 - interesting engine mod. | FerrariChat

355 - interesting engine mod.

Discussion in '348/355' started by zjpj, Apr 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  2. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not sure what you mean by engine mod, it is just a carbon fiber airbox, pure for look if you ask me. Unless the intake filter and everything is modified inside.

3. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Its just possibly a freer flowing airbox made of carbon fiber. As for the floor mats I dont know what your getting at.

4. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Harsh reception! The stitching on the floormats resembles a blood stain. I'm a little confused by the airbox. It's been a while since I last looked at a 355 motor but, I remember seeing a seperate airbox for each cylinder bank. The car above appears to have both banks feeding into a single box. Maybe the above setup allows them to use a larger filter element, which could in turn reduce restriction.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

They do have seperate air boxes. I would prefer using two air boxes to one. As I stated in the other thread about this car and engine, the best parts are the blue silicon hoses and fittings.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Thanks for backing me up there :) Yeah, I thought it was some sort of stain until I saw the pic of the trunk carpet...

I've never seen the one box setup before, so I wondered what it was all about

7. The 95 had two seperate box's the 95+ have two box's also but its joined in the middle so it makes a X. The floormats have a signature on them in RED.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    WTF ? that screen is totally out of place ! This is not a MB !

9. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    One HUGE disadvantage to that carbon airbox is the fact that it substantially decreases airflow in the engine compartment. 355's get hot. They need alot of air flow and that big carbon airbox sits right on top of the heat shield above the exhaust. It's blocking half of the airflow out the top. With no Challenege grill it's essentially trapping the heat. Not a good thing!

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have that air box on my F355 for the last 1.5 years. It is Kevlar and not carbon fiber. The Kevlar air box does not get nearly as hot as the aluminum stock boxes. There is a heat shield under the box and the material itself is less prone to soak up heat. The filters are K&N cone filters that are the same ones used on the Audi Lemans winining cars. They look like stereo speakers with a big ceramic cone in the middle to channel air with less turbulence. The volume of this box is far greater than the single boxes combined. The low end torque is improved to where you can feel the difference. It is not just for cosmetics.