1993 348 Boxes Behind the seats? | FerrariChat

1993 348 Boxes Behind the seats?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bm735, Apr 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bm735

bm735 Rookie

Apr 3, 2004
    Can anyone tell me what those boxes behind the seats are, they look like computers maybe?

They also both have some sort of reset button on the bottom, being that I dont have an owners manual, can anyone provide any info on these mysterious buttons.

Thanks for any help in advance..

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Those funny looking "boxes" would be the Electronic Control Unit(s) for the car. Think of them as the "brains" (noggin, thinker, cantelope, thinking cap, etc.) of the car. That's a dangerous thing I guess - a car having its own brain. What if it decides it doesn't like you? Mine did yesterday - the water pump's on the blink and that means "Engine out" as well as "a few $ thousand out" of my pocket.

Be careful that black button...push THAT THING AND YOU'RE SCREWED!

(not really...it's just the button you push to pull any malfunction code)

BUT BE CAREFUL. :)

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    BM735: Welcome to FerrariChat! If you are new to the 348, it's interesting to note how much your V8 Ferrari operates as though it had two 4-cylinder engines. So it has two of the Motronic ECU modules (the "brains"), two fuel pumps and filters, two oxy sensors, two catalytic converters, two ignition modules, two air flow sensors, etc.

You really need to get a copy of the owners handbook, they aren't too hard to find and it will answer many of your questions.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Just to elaborate a bit on your question about the "reset buttons". The 2.7 Motronic ECU incorporates a "self diagnostic" function, which can record and store information regarding faults in the ignition/injecton system. By following the proper procedure described in the Workshop Manual, you can download this information (without any special tools or test equipment), and then reset the system. This is particularly needed if your "check engine" warning lights come on while driving. The ECU's are extremely complex and expensive, so you don't want to mess around with them unless you know what you are doing. You will notice that the button is attached to a short harness, which is ordinarily left unplugged unless you are testing/resetting the system. Apparently it doesn't hurt anything to leave this button connected, but the manual tells you to plug it in when testing, so I leave it unplugged.

5. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Be careful! Those are for the ejection seats!!!!!
    Sorry..... couldn't resist.. :)