Evo's Top 10 of the Decade | FerrariChat

Evo's Top 10 of the Decade

Discussion in '360/430' started by bobafett, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    In the latest issue (released today around here, UK folk obviously got it much earlier), they rated their top driver's cars for the decade (94-04, arbitrary years, I know).

As follows:

10. E46 BMW M3
    09. Lotus Elise 135
    08. Porsche Turbo (993)
    07. Subaru Impreza P1
    06. Renault Clio Williams
    05. Honda (Acura) NSX-R
    04. Porsche 911 GT3 ('03)
    03. Porsche 911 GT3 ('99)
    02. Pagani Zonda C12S

And their number one Driver's car for the decade...

01: FERRARI 550 MARANELLO!

--Dan

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So... exactly what is it about the NNO that people won't consider it a "Driver's Car"...? What exactly is a "Driver's Car" anyway...? The NNO sure as hell isn't a passenger's car... It's not a token car... It's a racecar that's street legal... What's more of a driver's car than that...?

Other than that, i'm not surprised the 550 won... It's an awesome car... :)

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    NNO...

If you have a copy of the last EVO, the one were they test the Enzo, 288GTO, F50, and the Enzo, it basicly tells you in the artical.

The enzo is in no was a proctical drivers car. It's much to low and stiffy sprung to be driven comfortably on the street for a long period of time. They stated in the artical that the enzo had a difficult time keeping up with the 288GTO when driving in real world conditions. The Enzo was developed on the track with very smooth surfaces. This is not real world driving. Streets have pot holes and uneven surfaces. Driveing the Enzo as a "drivers car" would not be very practical. Fun? maybe for the first 20min of the drive, but after you would tire of the car until the next time.

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Tom, i hear what you're saying, but then i'm pressed to voice how i just think all of that is just a matter of opinion... After all, there are plenty of people in the world who will take a 'Vette over a Ferrari or a luxury car over a sports car or whatever... Like that, there are folks who would easily take the "difficulty" of an NNO over the "gentlemanness" of a 550... Just my two rubles...

5. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This list is a laugh - drivers cars voted by their readership and the Zonda comes in a number 2. How many of their readers do you think have driven a Zonda so they can say it's a drivers car. Get real

6. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    can they put the GT4 twice like that? i'm sure porsche has evolved the car and all, but shouldn't they pick just one?

i'm curious as to what the criteria for a "driver's car" is. like it's already been mentioned, different driver's want different things in their car.

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Lack of cup holders.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...! It's nice to see my old gripes are still remembered... :)

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    As much as I love EVO, sometimes I wonder about those guys. One issue they test a 360CS vs. 911GT3 and pick the 360 CS. Next issue they pick the GT3 as their car of the year. I am surprised about the 550, when they tested in the big test (360, 996TT, Zonda, Viper, Diablo 6.0), they picked the Lambo as the greatest drivers car.

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The cars tested were the Evo (or Performance Cars before that) cars of the year for the last ten years not a readers vote.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    EVO blows . I only buy it because of the photography.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Carbon, I'm guessing here, but what they may really be saying is the difference between a GT and a Supercar. To lay people, a sports car is a just about any two-seater. But to us rarified few, we know better.

Howza bout this: Compare a F-40 to a Maranello. For the track, no doubt that most of us would take the keys to the F-40. But, for a back roads romp, the Maranello is much more livable. Guys like Roland make driving a F-40 on the street look easy, but if I had to choose between driving his F-40 or my Shark from the French Quarter through the fog to a race track located somewhere in the boonies (what a choice, eh?), I'd go with the Shark. For me, I'd be too worried about doing something stupid in the F-40 to enjoy it.

Dr "How is your article coming" Tax

13. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'm afraid the quality of the magazines from this side of the pond is falling badly.

On the one hand, they're featuring more of the type of car that I like to see more often (quick stuff), and the photography is very good, but the actual standard of the writing and the content of the articles is shoddy.

So much turning of coat that you get a distinct impression that they've been leaned on by manufacturers, stupid articles with little or no point to them and all the "quality mags" take the piss out of Max Power type publications without seeming to notice that they are getting just as bad!

There are still some quality scribblers out there, but they seem to be outnumbered by those whose skill behind the wheel is (seemingly) infinitely greater than their skill behind a pen. Many seem like wannabe racing drivers - they should make their minds up what they want to be and concentrate on being good at it.

Surprised the 550 came out on top though (undoubtedly a nice car).

14. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello, I can't buy Evo where I live (too rural) but would love to see the comparison article you mentioned. If anyone has this and could scan and email, (or send link), I would be most grateful, thanks John

15. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    They met Fiedler? Chrome wheels and all? ;)

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Give me a break. I own an E46 M3, and there is really no comparison to the 360. I also have a friend who owns both a GT3 and a 360, and he says, again, as good as the GT3 is, no comparison between the two as a "driver's car" whatever that may be. I'm interpreting it to mean an intense, challenging experience, and the 360 gives you that in spades, more so than either the M3 or the GT3.

Gary

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    EVO sucks really . They say they look for EVOness , or thrill of driving ..and yet they pick a Clio over a Stradale ? or Even a Gallardo ? STFU !

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I thought the GT3/360 comparisons were different because they used a GT3 RS. They make no bones about the fact that they preferred the earlier model GT3 altogether and dislike the current GT3 RS on the road with the current GT3 being more useable.

19. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The article was a comparison of the last 10yrs PCOTY winners, not a giant "which is the greatest sports car" test.

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    All they had to do was ask me!

DL

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Actually, i heard they went looking for you, but the day they knocked on your door, you were stuffing your face at In N Out Burger... Tsk, tsk...

22. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Good thing they picked the 550 first or you guys would really be pissed!! :D Some of you seem to have no idea what evo is about, I suggest you read a few issues and see why it is hands down the best car magazine.

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I'm sure they have criteria which resulted in this best 10 list, but I cannot understand why Ferrari 360 & M-B SL55 is not in there, but (well, I won't write them) are in the list.

I'm glad 550 made the list, so I can look forward owning on in the future.

24. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    EVO must be a car magazine. I have never read it. I do know they are very smart about cars. They choose the 550 as the best car.

Never drive less than 12 cylinders!

25. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    EVO (like CAR) is an interesting magazine, but they tend to be about as subjective as journalism can get, with an endless quest for a magic cocktail of homogeneity, thrills, real world usability and pleasure, all of this shaken and stirred with a touch of british sense of humour and nonsense.

Most important, the ratings and comments are made within the context of their test venue, which is often a maze of remote Welsh back roads, usually wet (sunshine is considered an event).

Not too much attention should be paid to the car selection (picking 10 cars within 10 years can only be subjective, furthermore if the criteria are only that they liked them, not even that they were their car of the year pick, they might have been runner ups). While reading the article, I ended up wondering if the cars were there because they simply managed to find them (try finding a 10yo model in mint condition).

Finally, all the cars were rated based on the sum of the ratings of the drivers and all finished very close.
    EVO is more about enjoying reading from car nuts than getting scientific ratings on cars ...