Am I insane for even considering this? | FerrariChat

Am I insane for even considering this?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by AJS328, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Okay guys, I need your help. I need all of you to tell me that I'm out of my mind for thinking that this could be a good idea. This week I had planned on sending my car to auction in hopes that I could get out of it and into something a little more sensible and less dear. Well, in the middle of an early morning ride through the rain (today is supposed to be my last day with the car) I came up with a ludicrous idea. How about I just keep the 328 and try to move to LA with this as my only car! Yeah, that's the ticket! If there is a city in the world that you can drive a Ferrari everyday as your single mode of transportation it's LA right? I could be a sort of Italian Cowboy!

Okay, let's start the deliberations. This is a ridiculous notion, right? I couldn't possibly pull it off, could I? Surely the insurance would be astronomical. And using this car as a daily driver would beat me up, wouldn't it?

Here is where I stand right now. My car is due to get picked up by flatbed tomorrow morning for shipment to the Manheim Auto Auction. I need to make a decision one way or another. If I'm going to call this whole selling idea off I need to do it soon! What do you all think?

2. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    life is full of very difficult decisions. Keep the car..or sell it yourself.

3. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The 328 could easily be a daily driver in LA, you know they are reliable and handle traffic congestion well.You could drive it for a few months and then get yourself a cheap beater for a everyday car.

Don't send it to an auction, also you could sell it faster and easier in LA if needed.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Keep it. Ship it out. Drive it.

If it doesn't work out, then sell it and it only cost you the move, what maybe $1200?

If selling it here is getting you nowhere, then why not just take it with you?

If you have to sell it, then see if Algar will take it on consignment. They are moving cars like crazy right now.

5. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Just had a similar dilemma.

Was all set to sell the car prior to travelling for a while.

Decided in the end to keep it for a few more months. Now I'm keen to keep it period. So that's the current plan.

I'm not a fan of the 360 generally, so when I get back I can't see me wanting to change for one of those. I don't fit in older F-cars. The rumours I'm hearing on the styling of the 360 replacement are none too positive.

So if I sell, when I get back I'd probably want another 355. So why not just keep this one.

Long term thoughts are leaning towards an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, but that wouldn't be up for delivery until 07, and I can't think of another car I'd want until then.

And now I'm thinking about touring Europe in the 355!

I guess what I'm rambling about is that no, you're not crazy! Enjoy the car and take it with you. The only other choice would be if you would like to get into a different type of Ferrari (or car).

6. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Have to agree generally as above - keep it, bring it to LA. If it just doesn't work and you have to sell it here at least it might not be under such rushed circumstances.

7. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Keep the car. Have it shipped to CA, and if things don't work out you can sell it yourself at your leisure. I can guarantee the auction commission will be at least double the amount it would cost to have it shipped by a reliable carrier. Also, the market for Ferrari's seems to be more liquid out in CA, so I doubt you would have trouble selling it yourself if you do decide to get something else.

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    right idea, but wrong locale.

just a tad further south, dude: san diego.

doody.

9. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Did you really expect anyone to tell you to sell it HERE! :)

10. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    As beautiful as your color combo is, I vote take it to California and try driving it daily. If it turns out that using it for a daily driver is not optimum, at least you should be able to sell the car more easily in the California market.

Plus, what is a chance to drive the 328 up Highway 1 worth? In my book, it is worth the price of transport.

11. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    I became obsessed with the idea to buy a 328 when I met a guy in Dallas driving a sera blue 328 as his daily driver. He bought the car with 15k miles and now 5 yrs later has 60k miles on the car. He still loves the car and no regrets about driving it every day. James Patterson at Norwood also told me of a customer with nearly 150k miles on his 328. Do it!

12. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    Agreed.

13. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Why ship? Drive that baby crosscountry! For $1200 in shipping, I would rather drive it. Gas cost etc. are likely less than $1200. Memories, priceless.

What kind of auction were you thinking of? I would never sell a car at a dealer auction.

You will have to get an SUV as a daily driver her in L.A., we have some serious offroad-like conditions and some surprise blizzards and downpours that are best handled by a 4x4.

14. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Keep the car, drive it to LA and take the shipping money to buy an old Honda Civic or Accord as your daily 'beater' driving car.....THAT'S were the smart money is!..........Now! Go to LA and get on with your life!

End of thread:)

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree with everyone else, I'd keep it and try it as a daily driver in LA.

LA Swede, I think he's considering a collector auction. Much different deal.

FYI, I traded my 3.2 Mondial Cab in to a dealer on a 456. The Mondial was a beater, really, and I figured it at somewhere in the high 20s. The dealer took it to a collector auction, Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale, and sold it for $39k!

(Actually, it was bid to around $37k, but with buyer's fees the buyer ended up paying $39k. The dealer netted around $34k, so the real winner was the auction company, but still...).

It's all about getting the car to the right venue, and finding two bidders who want it.

16. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Yes, I do agree with you about the auctions. Please do not sell her at an auction if you are going to sell, as I already posted in the Cali post. Like everyone has said, if you can manage it financially and it is not too much of a burden to you, do keep the car. As I have said before, your car is not in production anymore, and with a rare color such as your's, you may not be able to replace it again. But as I have said, you are the one that will be dealing with your ordeals/finances and not anybody else on here, so do make your decision wisely.

Oh and LA Swede, where in Cali do you live? Because, where I live there are hardly any blizzards. And not many offroad conditions. The only downfall would be the early morning and evening traffic on the 5, 405, 605, 10, 110 freeways=)!
    All in all you have a beautiful ferrari and as u can see envied by alot!

AhhH! I just read about the dealer auction^_^! Thanx DonV

17. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Take it with you. If you take it to the auction, it's only going to bring dealer $'s in most cases. Manheim is not like a b-J auction. Better off to get it to Calif, then try to retail it. Only potential problem may be Calif emissions. But, you can always dump it. Other option, is to find a dealer, and it leave on the east cost on consignment. Personally, I would rather have the car, and enjoy it. Plus what a blast having the F-car in LA until you move it. could be a lot worse daily driver.

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I know Cali emissions are tough but the car was delivered new in Cali (Newport Imports) so it should be okay, right?

19. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Keep the Ferrari and get an everyday Honda beater.... Cheaper than maintaining the wear and tear you put driving a Ferrari as a primary car..

20. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Kennys got the right idea. Keep the Ferrari but instead of a Honda, get a Geo Metro LSi 3 door.

21. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Keep the car, buy a beater at the auction. I think if you sell it you will regret it, especially in LA were you could enjoy the car more offten. If it dos'nt work out bring it to barrett jackson in january, Im moving there this winter, maybe by then I'll be able to buy it.

btw;which manheim auction would it be going to?

22. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Our Four Door like mine!

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I'm happy to say that I am officially pulling my car from the auction. I was feeling ill all day just thinking about her going to the block. Now I just need to figure out how to get her out there while keeping my bank account intact. Thanks for the massive support guys.

24. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm curious: are you going to move from new jersey to l.a. anyways?

I would keep the car and buy a motorcycle. I saw a guy doing a wheelie on the 405 one time. It was classic.

25. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Yes, I'm definitely doing the move. I'm probably going to wait a few months to add a little cushion to the old bank account though.