Poll on new drivers | FerrariChat

Poll on new drivers

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by owsi, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which of these new drivers will challenge for race wins?

1. Baumgartner

2. Bruni

3. Klien

4. Massa

5. Pantano

6. Sato

7. Are you kidding? None of the above!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    While watching Klien battle with Kimi, Sato battle with everyone, and Baumgartner apparently drive in reverse, I was wondering if any of the "new" guys had the pace to challenge for race wins. I realize some of these guys have raced in F1 before, but none had a seat at the beginning of last year and they all did at the beginning of this year(it remains to be seen if they will hold on to them), so in my mind they can be grouped together. Just curious what everyone thinks.

2. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Massa will probably end up on a Ferrari, if so he'll challenge, i was impressed by Klien this weekend, Maybe Sato, he's improved a lot since the Jordan days.

3. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    I think part of the problem is that drivers are no longer afforded the time to develop in F1. You're either fast out of the box, like Webber, and then picked up by a higher echelon team, or you spend a season as a paying driver at Minardi and then disappear.

Given a consistent couple of seasons with a coming team like BAR, Sato may develop. Klein needs time as well, but at least shows some aggression and desire to mix it. The question is going to be if they are going to be allowed to develop. Or will BAR and Jag look for "quick-fix" known quantities next season, or drivers who can bring more money and throw these two (Sato/Klein) on the scrap heap labeld as F1 failures.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I voted for Pantano, I think he did well in Melbourne.

OTOH I was tempted to vote for Klien. Everybody is bashing him for his suitcase of $$$ to get his ride, but me too I was impressed with his performance in Bahrain today. The guy has gutts and eventually will learn how to make a pass stick.

Unfortunately I have given up hope for Massa. I liked him a lot and hoped he'd mature at Ferrari last year. But so far I don't see much improvement. Same thing could be said for Fisico. I hope he has a nice place for his Interlagos cup, as it will probably remain alone on his trophy shelf.

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Oh my god! You think the same way as I do about Pantano , Klien and Massa. The only thing was the Fisico comment that I'm not with you. (of course ...me being a Fisichella fan)

As for Pantano....I'v heard only good stuff about him. He's talented but doesn't have the car to show it. Too bad he didn't have the same amount of money as Klien brought on the table. If Pantano does well and shows us he can do better than Heidfeld this season , he will end up with good team in the future.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Wasn't Baumgartner {Bum gardener} passed by MS on lap 5 or somthing?
    I wouldn't let him drive a golf ball. Although the ball has a better chance of passing a car. He is the biggest dissapointment I can remember from a driving stand point. Get rid of him.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Sato should be better, he is still a jr. How about Jenson Button's drive today? I'm not a big fan but he did well. Fernando Alonso will contend. Christian Klien is still a riddle. I can see some points where he seems like a total noob but I have a feeling about him, you know, he just may develop enough to be a contender some day. Although from what I have seen, I would not sign him today. He still needs time. BTW, I'm not a basher, I call it how I see it. Even if Juan has a good race I'll be commenting on his drive. Too bad for the boat he found himself in today though.

8. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I said Klein based on his aggresiveness in Bahrain. But that only lasted in the first half. Later he went off, but it was due to the brakes I guess. I can't say for sure, but he looks like he has a lot of promise.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yup, but then you could say he didn't have the right car for the track or he wasn't focused. It's hard to judge new drivers. There is so much pressure on them, they don't know the tracks and they are usually in crappy cars. It's always tough. I could talk F1 all night. It's 1:18 am, I usually get up at 2:30-2:45 for work. I guess I'm taking Monday off. Enough! I'm goin' to bed.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sheesh, I must be doing something wrong. Finally somebody agrees with me. Darn, I have to quickly find an opposite line of arguing.
    :)

If Pantano is as good as we think he is, he'll get his chance. There will be a wet race down the line and he will show his stuff. Or not.

I hope you're right about Fisico. After all he sits in the blue Ferrari and hopefully soon (at least for tests) in the red one. But I wouldn't hold my breath.