More legroom: 348/355 or TR? | FerrariChat

More legroom: 348/355 or TR?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nickdtm, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm 6'6" and curious which has more legroom, a 348/355 or a TR? I've sat in both at different times but can't remember between the two which has more room. Is it possible to modify the seat tracks so they can move back a little further or is there no extra room behind the seats?

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I am 6'4" and can fit in a 348, 355 and a 512M. I do not fit in a TR or 512 TR. Though if someone gives me one, I can sacrifice. The least legroom I have been in was an F50. The 360s seem to have a lot more.

Though all are tight.

3. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    You suprise me. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and the TR is roomy for me. The trick, I find, is not to put the seat right back so you lose the ability to rake the back. Move the seat forward a notch or two and use rake to get a 'laid back' driving position.

Steve

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I had it all the way back, seat upright, and my right leg (shin) hit the dash and the shifter was under my knee. The 512M dash is a little farther away. I really wish I fit well in a 512TR, since I want one.

5. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Most of my height is in my legs, my torso is not that tall, so headroom isn't an issue for me. I need the seat to be as far back as possible. In that case, would you say the 348/355 is more generous, then?

The last 355 I sat in had the battery disconnected so I couldn't move the seat back.

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Obviously, you will need to sit in both to see how YOU fit, since we are all built differently. I had trouble with the TR and 512TR, but could manage with the 348/355.

Sounds like a drive to Ferrari of Washington will answer the question.

7. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeah... it's about 1.5 hours from me and I'm not even close to buying so it's not really worth it at this point. Just a curiosity. Thanks for the help.

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Worth the drive to see a room full of Ferraris and Maseratis, though. I am an hour away from Denver, but go up a few times a month just for the drive and to look around the dealership.

Meet the salesmen, buy a shirt, tour the race team facilities, build a rapport and it will smooth things if you do buy from them.

9. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If most of your height is in your legs you may struggle with a 355.

I'm 6'4" and have a 36" inside leg.

I have a GTB with the seat right back and raked slightly, steering wheel as high as it'll go. Legs are splayed when driving it and it's *just* comfortable to drive (which could be as much a feat of my mind as a physcal reality :) ).

Only way to tell for sure is to try them out. Perhaps one with the carbon sports seats would yield slightly more room, but you may have to resign yourself to a 360...

10. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I have a 36" inseam as well.

I've been to FoW once but they seemed too busy sitting at their desk quietly shuffling papers to talk to anyone.

11. jhl1963

jhl1963 Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    6'6" 36" inseam here - I find when sitting in showrooms all of the above seem tight - however once the engine starts they all feel comfortable :). Neither are as bad as a 308/328 which are just plain painful for me! I wouldn't expect to be 911 comfortable, however I think all of us tall guys learn to live with it. With the exception of an S class/7 series I don't think a guy north of 6"3 is a perfect fit in anything IMO.

Jordan

12. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I feel pretty spoiled with my 5 series as far as interior room. When I get in anything with two doors I'm typically uncomfortable at least for a little while.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam and all of the V12 2+2 models fit me quite well. My 964 P-bug is just at the limit, but its fine for me. Only way to tell is to get in them.

14. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    True enough. Such a sacrifice.

15. ecadwell

ecadwell Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Eric Cadwell
    I'm 6'3" and I've driven both a 348tb and a TR. My experience was that the TR had more room in it than the 348, and my feet weren't squished to the right side of the foot well quite as much. Also, in the 348, my right leg would hit the shifter quite a bit. However, I could drive either of them just fine, so no complaints here. However, at 6'6", you may have additional trouble.

16. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm 6'6" and am waiting for FSF to complete service on my soon to buy 1999 550. After searching all old and new models, the 550 has the most room. FYI,
    I had a 03 BMW M3...no sunroof...excellent room..better fit than a 5 series..I still have a 03 X5 4.6 with a sunroof...awesome car. Best older sports cars with most legroom 240Z (not 280Z)...and Porsche 944.

Bill in San Diego

17. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    To demonstrate the importance of getting your own frame in the cars, I tried a 550 recently and felt a good bit more cramped than in the 355.

Legs were possibly better accommodated, but my head felt closer to the roof and as such the windows seemed much smaller making the inside feel more cramped.

I think you'll probably just be OK, and as has been said, once you get driving you'll make yourself fit.

I couldn't use all the gears in the 308/328 as my leg hit the gear lever. Using the pedals was also dangerous for me.

Interestingly the most comfortable car I've driven is my 7. It has no seat to speak of, and is a little like a coffin in driving stance. I also cannot afford to put on any weight. But it fits like a glove is very comfortable.

2nd most comfy was my dad's old MGB GT. Similar driving position to the 7.