Buying an F40 ? | FerrariChat

Buying an F40 ?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm thinking about it. I thought about the others. Now that there is a sweet F40 for sale & I am refiing my apt its tempting to get more $ & go for the F40 :)
    RE the Ferrari spyder, I suppose I'll just restore the 308, repaint her Azzuro Blue, strap on a supercharger & soem large Brembo brakes & presto, Ferrari spyder, Well a targa but close
    So what are the thoughts on an F40 ? How much does it cost to ensure that puppy ?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    methinks william has a pile burning a hole in his pocket ;)

doody.

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    William,
    I refied my rental to buy my F40. Why not, life is too short. I pay either $2700 for 2500 miles a year or $3600 for 5,000 miles a year. Leland West. No back and forth to work.

Hope this helps,
    Enjoy,
    Rick

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You will get your money back on the F-40; if you decide to sell in the future.
    I doubt that would occur with the hi-quality replicas and modified cars.
    Of course you do have the maintainance to pay on the F-40. The major
    I believe costs 30K. F-40 is the way to go. You only go around once.

5. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The F-40 is much more impressive in the flesh, than in photos. Ah, but the sound of F-40 singing down the back of the Glen.......italian symphony at it's finest. I had the opportunity to salivate over a few regularly while my Mondial Cab was being serviced. If you have the change, pull the trigger.

6. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    if I get to sell one of my daytonas, my 308 and corvette zr-1, i will pursue such an endeavor. I fell in love with the car the first time i saw in Atlanta in the national FCA concourse in 1989 or was it 1990...and have wanted one since. Not sure about driving it as a streetcar...but you only live once.

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The F40 is an investment which is one consideration. The other cars I was considering are either chopped or toys

Dam, $30k major, Wow !!!! Its only $8k on the 512TR. How many miles do you get for your $30k ?

I was thinking of adding an FGlass LM nose & keep the real nose safe hanging in my garage as art :) I like the LM nose

Does Leland cover for track events ?

I rode in a friends F40 & dam that thing was FAST!!!!!! :)

I wouldn't mind an F50 but $600k + is just out of my range + I'd be worrying about having to replace that CF tub if it ever got damaged, I know you dont have those worries w an F40, just nice old fashioned steel tubes underneath

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No heres a worry, Jerry Seinfeld while covering the Porsche Carrera GT in Automobile stated that the CF on Ferraris may deteriorate with age & that Porsche had a new process to stop this.

Any truth to that ?

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    he also said he had no desire to "sit in the middle." :)

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

bastard!

[insert angry smiley face thingy here]

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    William,

The CF on an F40 should be fine. Be careful, a shunt will be expensive. As for 30k for a major, err, are they gold-plating the engine bay too?

Find a top F40 mech and start there. I can point you to one if there aren't any around you. I have been looking for a while now and still haven't found "the right car." Being anal about it, but nevertheless, it's not as simple as buying a 550.

--Dan

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    he a comedian!!! not a rocket scientist!!!! and he is gaga over porsches....dont ask me why

13. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I pay about $2,400 a year to insure mine with no mileage resrtictions.

$30,000 major service? No, about $4,500 - 5,500. (engine rebuild, $40,000 plus)

Mine has been the most reliable Ferrari I have owned, and as you know, it does not get babied.

You are an excellent driver, so I know you would get the most out of your F40, good luck!

Chris

14. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    My car is due for a 30K service. I have been quoted $5,500 to $6,500 for it depending on Dealer or independant service.
    Leland does not cover track use.

Chris, Who are you insured with?

Dan, When are you coming down to drive my car? :)

Rick

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Rick, 11.30 ok for you? I'm scared that if I get in the driver's seat of your car, I won't get out! :D

--Dan

16. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    No problem just bring a check!
    :)
    Rick

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Don't tempt me... that's the *worst* thing you could've said... :D You know it'll be me hitting 200mph and not you now... :)

--Dan

18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    bring a check Dan. I'll sit in on the right :)

19. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I read that as well, but I'm not sure how it's true since the enzo and cGT tubs are made by the same, outsourced, supplier. Get the f40 man, it's still one of the best fcars made.

20. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    American Family Insurance

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    How much do you suppose an F40 LM nose costs ? Anybody make them in FGlass ?

22. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, Ive been looking for Roland but he seems to be off somewhere. We have a mutual friend so I can call him through her

24. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    One thing I don't understand (which is awesome for track oriented people like yourself) is that no matter how many mods an F40 has, it usually costs the same as one with no mods. I've seen ones with no mods for $300K and ones with literally $100K in aftermarket for the same price, same condition. I think that's a great buy.

25. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I guess its like a house w a new roof & a new driveway. The owner wants his $ for the roof & drive but he cant get more $ than the house is worth just for maintenance.

Its not exactly the same thing but its similair. Unless you are talking about a real F40LM or F40GTE