328 Rear Deck "Ferrari" Removal | FerrariChat

328 Rear Deck "Ferrari" Removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by RussF, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    There was a thread on this recently but what I need to know was unclear.

Once you get to the underside of the scrip I find that it is held on by two fasteners. My problem is getting them oof. I suppose that you just pry them off and if they break you put new ones on. However it wouyld be nice if someone has figured out a better way that doesn't break the fasteners.

By the way I was able to remove the larger fasteners that hold the underside material on and which must be removed to get at the fasteners for the script. I put two table knife blades under the fastemers so that the blades were parallel. Then I turned the blades at the same time so that there was equal pressure on both blades. It took a lot of twisting but the fastener popped off with no damage.

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The nuts on the back of the script go on by force once. I think if you get them off, even if you don't break them, they are already spread out and unusable.

I am looking at one right now and it goes on by pressure (No threads). Plasic with a metal insert. I took them off with a pair of pliers and put new ones on by hand pushing on the srcipt above and the nut below sort of twisting to get it on tight. A self-tapping nut about the same size may work by creating threads on the post as you screw it on the back.

Mine has three fasteners, not two. The other thing is that the holes in the lid are a little bigger than the posts, so if the nuts are not tight, the script is loose.

They new nuts are pretty cheap, so you won't break your wallet if you can't find an alternative.

3. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Thanks Mule. Is the fitting on the script a standar size that is avilable at a harware store or do you have to order them from a dealer?

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I got mine from the dealer, but it may be a common part. If you have the script off, take it to the store and see if anything works.

Sort of a round plastic piece with a metal insert and X cut out that expands as it is installed and grips the post.

I am sure you could find something that fits, but it may be more effort than the dealer. Ferrari of Denver mailed me mine after buying them over the phone, so you don't have to go to a dealer in person.

5. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If memory serves me, aren't those just a stamped nut, withcutting thread arrangement. You should be able to back-off, but it may require getting thin knife etc under it to push up while unscrewing. I know some times they seem to be basically a push on retainer. But, they should back-off.