348 service by a non-Ferrari'd shop: What are the risks? | FerrariChat

348 service by a non-Ferrari'd shop: What are the risks?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Husker, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm in a delimma: Ship my 348 400 miles to someone who "knows Ferraris" or have a reputable independent in Amarillo pull the engine and do the 30K. There's only two guys here I would consider, both of whom have extensive experience with Porsche, Audi, Jag, MB, BMW, Volvo, Fiat, etc.

Realistically, what are the risks of having someone like this do the 30K? How great are such risks?

It would sure be nice to keep my car here so that I can keep up with what's going on, etc., aside from the pure convenience factor.

Both of my local mechanics say "no problem" on doing the work, but what would you EXPECT them to say, right?

Opinions??

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Look, you're already facing a 4K-5K repair, so a $500 transport fee shouldn't factor into the decision. Get the car to the BEST mechanic you can afford -- not the closest one you can find.

I'd pay to have the car shipped there, get it fixed by somebody who has access to all the workshop manuals, parts lists, etc. Then, in a week or so when it's ready to rock, rent a car and drive up to the repair facility. Pick up your baby, and drive her home!

-Daniel

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Good point.

4. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Not sure of your local Amarillo Mechanic - however - I have only used for my vintage F-cars Independent Ferrari Services and recently on my 355 Spider - I have went that route as well...

Below is the link to my local IFS work that they did... And if you notice some of the detail they did - which would never be done at a Dealer... I personally am sold on having a Good Independent do your work - rather than a dealer. And if you notice in the link some of the things that my Independent found that the dealer did on the 15K service - like leaving a screwdriver in the intake and a pinched vaccum line... etc... This is stuff that if independents did - they would be out of business very quickly, because they do not have the dealership as a backup.

Link to my service http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11829

There are some great dealers out there - just make sure if you use one that is good. The same would go for the independents - make sure you do your homework - and get a true mechanic - not just a part changer - like most dealers are.

Good luck,
    Rich

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think the only risk you are taking is the risk of spending less money!
    I attempted to send two cars to the closest "authorized" dealer, a highly respected dealer in the Northwest, that would have been 400 miles away. After not receiving an answer to three E-mails, and after a call to the owner who promised the service department would get right back to me, ( they never did ) I had my cars done locally, and will do it again.

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Let me clarify...there are several very good independent shops here in Amarillo. But, they don't have Ferrari experience - Ferraris are few and far between. Is there a considerable risk factor in having a guy who has never touched a Ferrari but is otherwise a highly regarded mechanic pull the engine on a 348 and have him do the 30K service?

7. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I would not say there is so much of a risk of getting a proper repair, but more of a risk about a very long labor bill. Most independent technicians are better then dealers (they diagnose, not replace), and good technicians take their time and do it right. Every car has their own little idiocincrices(sp), but in all honesty they are basically all the same. Once a skilled independent mechanic works on a car, they will as good or better then the dealer IMHO. While our shop has not dealt much with Ferraris, I can tell you that many F car owners get completely ripped off for service work. The BS about not being a Ferrari mechanic is a joke. If a technician can diagnose and repair a bad prong on a solanoid on a '02 model car, he or she can also do a tune up on an older model Ferrari (heck, even a new one). The latest advancements in technology have left indepenent shops out in the cold regarding diagnostic info as the manufacturers only give it to their own dealers. Give that information to an indepenent and you would see how much more he or she can do with it. If you feel comfotable with the local mechanic who you trust, I would give them a shot. The worst thing that can happen is that you would need to bring it to the dealer. Please let us know how you make out.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Hang on... I didn't mean to imply that it's worth the extra $$ to ship the car to an "authorized dealer". What I meant was, pay the $ to ship the car to the BEST wrench you can afford. Although my 348 continues to run beautifully (thanks Mike!), I seriously doubt I'd take it to the local dealer when service issues arise.

-Daniel

9. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    The worst thing that can happen is more than just having to take it to the dealer. You'll have two bills at the very least, not to mention something might get screwed up by someone not knowing what their doing. If a dealer works on it I'd expect it to come back Damn perfect with no excucses!

10. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    RAYMAN:

That would almost never happen since he would be going to someone who is highly regarded. While I cannot comment on your particular sevice area, I think you would be very dissapointed if you sat in on many dealer repair bays. There is a reason why most dealer technicians go on to start their own business in the industry. Either way, I am sure he will recieve good service.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    out of curiosity what is intailed in the 30k tune-up? seeing as how the engine is removed.

12. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Without doubt you should go to a Ferrari ind who has extensive experience in the Marque.

They know exactly the common problems of these cars and in the longer term I think your wallet will thankyou although initially it might costs a bit more!

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Take it to somebody that works on Ferraris for a living. To do otherwise is a huge risk. Why let them use your car to "train" on? I would expect a LOT of return visits for fixes after the fact.......

Send it to whom ever, but someone you trust who works on Ferraris every day.

14. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Don't be 'penny wise and pound foolish'. I send my 308 150 miles away on a flatbed for major work. Pay the one way tow and fly out to your car for an enjoyable drive back!

15. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    OK guys...you've convinced me. The car is on the next flat-bed out of town! Heading to Shade Tree Enginetrics in Nevada, TX. Ferraris and other italians is all they do. Thanks again.

16. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    If i tightend four main hydrulic oil lines on a boeing 747 to each engine to boeing spec and not being checked by anyone, being a 20 year plus auto tech would you fly on that 747 on holiday,what im getting at here is im sure there are shops out there that have never touched a ferrari that have it up top to maintain it,there are also some out there you wouldnt let loose on a lawnmower,its all about knowing youre tech,ferrari owners should ALL know there tech's its vital to keeping it fast being able to corner keep it fluids on board and most important safe,

cheers
    Dale.

17. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    BTW, of indepenent mechanics w/o F-experience, it seems old Alfa guys seem to struggle the least when faced with a Ferrari.