Buying an Esprit help | FerrariChat

Buying an Esprit help

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Auraraptor, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I was wondering, can anyone give me the proper contacts of of someone in the Northeast US with whom I can discuss getting a Lotus Esprit from (pref. 2000+, low mileage, with warrenty etc lotus) I want to trade my 15k mile 03 range rover for it.

What colors and options are available for Esprits?

I know I like the later quad taillight design and not the earlier toyota design. I want to know what spec. options were available and what years etc. What exterior colors etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. billy89tr

billy89tr Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    You can talk to Ralph at RS motorsports in Teanneck, New Jersey. His # is 201-750-0700. He is a great guy and he can help you with many of your questions. But why not call Lotus of USA? They are extrememly helpful. And good luck in your search. Have you seen a Lotus upclose with the circular lights? Kind of looks off to me. The Toyoa lights fit the design of the body better.

3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thanks Billy.

Which brakes do you have on your Esprit by the way? I heard they 'put your face through the windshield'.

4. billy89tr

billy89tr Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I have a Sport350. It came with AP racing brakes. Simply amazing in hauling you down from speed. I have modded my esprit somewhat-I just redid my motor--balanced, ported and polished, 6 speed tranny, race ECU, and a few others. I know alot about these cars so if you have any questions let me know.

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    A few things:

Your AP brakes: Front and rear? Do you retain the handbreak?

Your trany, I know that the OEM trany is known as the *weak point* in the car. What 6spd did you opt for? Is it a reliable daily driver trany? How is the 6spd's feel? I ablsolutely loved my NSX's 6spd. I hear that the esprits trany design is 'werid' in comparison. Where did you get it and how much (approx)?

I have a few questions on the clutch. Is it like a Fcar where little gas is needed and the feel is good so you can easily get going on its own power or is it like a NSX/honda where you need to rev it to get it going?

How long do the clutches last and are they an expensive replacement?

What is/are the service intervals of these cars? I am not familar with them as I am with fcar service intervals.

Thanks for the help, I want to make and Esprit my daily driver. Their engines can take a 100,000 miles no problems right? Ferraris often need rebuilding...but we dont talk about that....:)

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Also, do you know of a dealer that has one (or more) in stock? I really must test drive one before I make the plunge. Esprits have been one of my favorite designs for a while. The potential that they have for easy upgrades makes the car even more appealing. I love my 328, but sometimes I wish I had something, well, faster, and along with that speed more managable...an esprit fits the bill seeing how I dislike (to own) porsches and the japanese cars. (supras VR4s etc) (I did the NSX thing, not for me)

7. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would suggest making a visit to www.espritfactfile.com for all the details about the later Esprit's. Really, for a 2000, the only options were colors and an extra glass roof. A few got the wheels and the same carbon fiber rear wing like the Sport 350, but that's about it. I've had my Esprit V8 for almost four years now and I don't see me getting rid of it anytime soon. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Also, try Huntingridge Motors (I believe that's the name) up in CT for some used Esprit's.

Sean

8. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just thought of something, I know Star Motor Cars in Houston has a red 2000 never titled and full warranty they have been looking to deal. Might be worth a look - talk to Wally.

9. billy89tr

billy89tr Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    APs are front and Brembo are rears. That is all you need. You do retain the handbrake.

The OEM tranny is the weakpoint only if you drag race the car. Do normal driving or from a roll accelerations and there should be absolutely no problems Another problem is the halfshafts if you do drag race start--dropping the clutch and so forth. The tranny are no where near as smooth as the NSXs ( I have a 92). But putting redline gear oil really helps smooth out the shifts ALOT. I have a one off 6speed made for the GT1 esprit race car as a backup. I bought it 2 years ago for 5K.

The cluch is actually very light but unlike the Fcars it grabs right away. I stalled out a few times before I got used to it, so you do need to rev it a bit before you get going. I had 15000 miles on my old 98v8 before I sold it and it still felt very strong. I now have 11000 on my modded 99 sport350 and when I didi the engine rebuild it looked like new even after 10000 mile sof spirited driving. It costs about 1500 for a new clutch set up-twin disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing--not too bad. I dont know how much in labor for I do the work myself and it is very easy job.

Service intervals are just about the same as Ferraris in terms of miles and time. The engine does not have to be removed for timing belts, no valve adjustments, so the price drops very significantly. And from what I understand Lotus does the first timing belt change for free.

As far as engines durability there are many esprit v8 owners with miles in the plus 60000 range with hardly any problems. This is a low compression motor that does not rev too high so less wear and tear on the motor.

You can make the Esprit a daily drive. I had my 86 turbo as a daily driver for four years and 145000 miles on the clock. But there are some things that can make it un-user friendly for everyday driving. Rearview is almost non existent, sticks out like a sore thumb (its good to make friends with alot of cops especially here in NY), and the hardest thing is holding yourself from sqeezing the pedal--other than that everythign else is fine--not too harsh a ride, great brakes, great forward vision, powersteering, comfortable. I am located in NYC, where are you from? If in the area I would love to show you and let you take it for a test drive. As far as dealerships are concerned I think there is one in Princeton, New Jersey not sure though

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am located in NE PA most of the time, and Baltimore the rest.

One kindof odd question, how hard is it to see out over your shoulder? I know it sounds werid, but when I make lane changes, I look over my shoulder to make sure no one is in my blind spot. If there is body trim there, it makes driving much harder for me as a regular driver.

I am very much interested in the 6spd. I guess though there are no others but yours though, and to get a 6spd would cost insane $$. :(

How much do the services cost? (15k and 30k approx.) Do you come pick up your car and flat bed it or do you have to manage and pay for shipping? (this is very important, one of the good things of fcars is that WWOC picks up and drops off free of charge)

11. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Try checking out Prestige motors near Baltimore, they usually have late model esprits, for an authorized dealer check out Crisswell in Gaithersburg.

12. billy89tr

billy89tr Rookie

Oct 31, 2003

Looking over your shoulder is not a problem since there is a rear quarter window. There was a guy out in Colorado that was looking into retrofitting a porsche transaxle but I do not know what has become of it.

I can't imagine services being more than 3000. It is not a hard job to do but you do need some special tools, especially one that measures the frequency of the timing belt. Take one for a test drive. Some find it too clausterphobic--the interior sort of becomes an extension of yourself. I find it quite comfortable and have spent over six hours driving without any cramps or strains. There is no dead pedal so your right foot has to rest underneath the clutch pedal. Other than that I cannot think of any things that might make it difficult to use as an everyday car except for getting in and out of the car--long door sill(not like lamborghini) and the seat being below the door sill--you are practically sitting on the floor. Once settled in feels like a race car though.

13. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    One thing about service - the timing belt has to be checked every year or 12K miles, but the first 7 years or 100K miles is under warranty. Something nice to know, since if the timing belt goes, well, you know the story....

You might also join the Turbo Esprit mailing group on Yahoo groups. A large group with a lot of information, and maybe you can find someone close to you to give you some time with their Esprit, or find someone who might know of one for sale in your area.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Omar -- I know you don't want to hear this, but PLEASE don't look over your shoulder to change lanes. That's really really dangerous. When you're driving 65 MPH, that's 95 feet per SECOND. A lot of stuff happens in 95 feet.

Proper side-view mirror adjustment is something most people (myself... for a long time) neglect. When sitting in a normal upright position in the car, a simple glance at either sideview mirror should reveal -zero- image of your vehicle's side panels. Angle the mirror outward so the side of the car just barely disappears. Do that on both sides. When you look in the windscreen mounted rearview mirror, you'll have a straight shot backwards -- plus some angle toward the blindspots. When you look into the side mirrors, you'll have MUCH more visibility in the corners, at the expense of all that "unnecessary overlap" that most people experience between sideview and rearview mirrors.

When I finally made this change on my cars, it was really discomforting. I was extremely uncomfortable for a few days and really quite nervous. After a few days however, I realized how much more visibility I experienced without moving my head at all.

-Daniel

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Danial, I DO do exactly as you say in setting the mirrors, it is how I was taught. I used to think that was enough, until I nearly ran 2 cars off the road. (Neon and a mini). The problem is I drive a 750iL and a Range rover. Both are exceeding long... with large blind spots.

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

YUP.. the extra 5 inches on a 750iL explain a lot. I'm a happy 740i Sport driver, and the mirror settings work fine for my little "7". Didn't mean to offend. Good luck with the search for an Esprit.

-Daniel

17. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    I've owned several Esprits in my time. My 2000V8 is a fantastic car. I do my own oil changes (VERY easy) and any Lotus dealership will do free timing belt changes until 80K miles (I've done one for free already at 24K miles). If any Lotus dealership say they don't, call Dave Simpkin (LotusUSA) and give him the name of that dealership. There is not much else to do unless you track your car or beat on it. It is fairly simple to maintain but the "big" stuff will need a Lotus mechanic. Go to www.lotuscars.com and that will give you all dealership information. There are some great clubs out in the Northeast so you'll have no problem getting help from the local Lotus clubs. Lots of those guys will do much of the work for you for a six pack of beer... Lotus has an amazing community.

Ed-

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Daniel and Omar:

One other trick that works is putting a small bubble convex mirror on each side mirror. I have this set up on my 964 and am very happy with the visibility. But I still catch myself looking over my shoulder as I was trained.

19. bmwmpower48

bmwmpower48 Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Josh Kinard
    as long as you dont LOOK over your shoulder and just glance I think it would be a safe thing to do. All it takes is a quick glance to see if a car is there and if a car is coming up quick your mirrors will catch it. There has been a few times I was in a persons blind spot unintentionally but they started to change lanes. Luckily I have been able to slow down and aviod being sideswiped.

One time I had to notify my dad who was driving a person was about to sideswipe us in the Porsche. Thankfully I saw the person.