You may laugh, but, MS is an android! | FerrariChat

You may laugh, but, MS is an android!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Jameel, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I'm telling you this guy is a machine. Everything from setup of the car, driving, to the press conference. It's all pre-programmed.
    Who else can lock up the brakes, run a bit wide and still manage a pole position. And then he drives a perfect race (actually last 3 races).

The guy is amazing to watch. Granted it's boring, but in years after he's retired we'll look back and say we witnessed the best and most accomplished driver in F1.

2. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    I have to agree. However, I don't find it boring as long as he's in a Ferrari.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You got a good point there. I'm getting jaded by the "mechanical" wins he is pulling off. Every so often I have to pinch myself so I realize that I am watching history in the making. In a way watching MS has become a bit like the Apollo moon landings. After a few of those we got all bored (I didn't) and TV ratings went down. Now 30 years have gone without a repeat.

A similar thing might happen with MS. Once he is gone none of us might ever live long enough to see another 6 time WC again. It is absolutely stunning.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    A lot of people bash MS. It's not his fault F1 is in trouble. He is a driver. And you know whaty, he drives well. What else is he going to do? He spent his life doing this. He spent his life wanting this. He spent his life learning. And the guys has tallent flowing from every proton in his body. If you are crabby beacuse you think F1 is boring, stop watching. Loyal viewers don't need to hear your crap. Either suggest a way to make things better or STFU! And as for Ferrari being knocked off the top of the barn, yes it will happen. It may take a year or two or even three, but it will happen. I stopped watching Nascar when I was 14 or 15 beacuse I wasn't interested in it. I watch Daytona because of the hype and history {and the speed}. But I chose F1 because I love it! "The best form of motor racing in the world!"

5. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Looks like its gonna be 7.

6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree, as long as he is in the red car he could win by 5 laps for all I care.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #7 62 250 GTO, Apr 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I just love how they keep making rule changes to stop the MS/Ferrari dominance, yet Scuderia continues with their merciless obliteration!

9. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    That is exactly right.

Boring? Hardly. How can watching who will be considered the greatest driver (and perhaps greatest athlete overall - no one person carries more than him in any sport) of our lifetime work his magic be called boring??

Enjoy every lap while you can, and consider yourself lucky to be witnessing it first hand. Because 20 years from now, it will just be the stuff of legends.

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Guys, Guys, Give a little credit to the car here. After all we are on a Ferrari Chat site. HAHA. I'm with you. He is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!AMAZING!!!!!!

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    it's not just Michael, for sure. It's the combination of all things.

I find watching the F1 Decade fascinating (missed the last one with Senna's death!!!), especially when you compare Ferrari as a team then to now. It's amazing what leaps and bounds have been made by the team as a whole. Jean Todt, Ross Brawn et alia are all to credit just as much as Michael is. It's that synergy that's created this unstoppable rebel force.

--Dan

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All true.

BTW you didn't miss much. I taped it but I'm not even sure I will keep it. They barely touched on the Senna accident and showed a lot of the race afterwards, as if anybody cared about that.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What is he supposed to do, wait for them to catch up? Oh, wait, he already is; nevermind.....

14. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    62 250 GTO, easy there tiger. No need to get your thongs in-a-bunch. How can you make an ignorant statement that I’m not a loyal viewer? I watch every race (on TV) and I have been for the last 5 years. What makes me not loyal, because I’m stating, my opinion that it’s boring at the front. I think some people get so stuck on saying anything about the sport for fear of being NOT Loyal.

Let me clarify a point, I’m in no way bashing MS or saying he is a boring driver. All I’m stating is at the front of the grid, you have to admit, it’s rather boring. I’m not blaming MS or Ferrari.

Racing is supposed to be about competition, two rivals pitted (pardon the pun) against each other. It’s not supposed to be about 1 person dominating a series. Again let me state, I AM NOT IMPLYING MS is responsible, it’s up to the rest of the field to catch up. I just find from 3rd place on is where the good racing is happening.

To Gearhead, that is exactly what I plan on doing. That’s why I also watch F1, I want to be able to say I watched MS race.

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My post was not directed at you. But what you are saying has been said thousands of times. We need solutions, not more talk on what we already know. F1 is in trouble. Ratings will fall off very quickly from here on out. There have been some good ideas and some bad ones. We should create a list of solutions and hand them over to the FIA or to Bernie himself.
    I say move forward or die F1. Which ever route is taken, it will happen very quickly.

16. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    Okay, I apologize, I thought your initial comment was directed at me.

Yes, we've all made good points on how to improve F1, but what is the point. The FiA doesn't listen to anybody. I proposed the drivers should get a point or 2 for Pole and 1 point for the fastest lap in a race. Although this may not have helped anybody this year, considering MS got the first 3 poles.

I think the only way MS/Ferrari dominance can be stopped or slowed down, is if they added a weight penalty system to the winner of a race (read: MS). But I think this would take away from the sport.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No, F1 is fine, it is the TV ratings that are in trouble. But instead of penalizing the leaders, you should be taking a cattle prod to the back markers to make them develop their cars faster and increase their pace.

Who cares about the ratings, this is a race to develop the fastest cars possible. The race only marks who is making forward progress and who is not.

Has anyone else noticed that as more and more regulations are added Ferrari gains ground against their rivals!? Perhaps a SIMPLIFICATION of the rules would enable the others to catchup? The only other solution is to invert the cash payout system whereby the worst teams get the biggest monetray prize, enabling them to increase development budgets.....

Nobody really cared that Bruce and Denny basically ran off with CanAm for 4 years, before Porsche came in a dominated the rest of its short life.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't know the numbers, but would doubt this would have much of an effect. The position prizes are probably not that significant in the scheme of things. TV money is another deal though.

Still I really doubt that money is the big issue. Sure Minardi could do a lot better with more cash. But the reason BMW and Merc currently suck can hardly be a budget issue. Same goes for Toyota. Money alone doesn't explain nor cure it.

At least with the current points system, the title chase will remain open for longer than in previous years.

But before we go about fixing F1 for the TV viewers, I'd like to see something done for the spectators in the stadium: Sunday mornings are the worst. For all the money F1 creates and devours, I'd like to see some spent on a supporting race series like F3000 or whatever.

19. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    F1 is FINE!!! The rest of the field sucks and that's their problem, not MS or Ferrari's. WTF, is this world so politically correct now that being a supreme talent and totally dominant is grounds to "level" the playing field? Parity is BS.

20. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If no one watches, no one pays to have their name across the sidepods = No F1. Honor's in the dollar and without the money... bu bye!

21. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    What separates MS from everyone else is that he is a huge difference maker.

You put him on any of the top 3 or 4 teams 7 years ago, and it is THAT team, not Ferrari that would be winning. Remember, when MS went to Ferrari, they were a nothing, despite having many capable drivers since 1979.

Ferrari went for decades without a World Champion driver, and it would have gone for at least another decade had it not signed MS.

The teams, the cars, any single manager or engineer, are all interchangeable. Not one single one of those things are a difference maker.

MS is a difference maker. Where he goes (within reason), he wins and he takes the team along for the ride. I don't think there has ever been an F1 driver like that in history, not Senna, not Prost.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not true, I still remember the days when there were no advertizements attached to the cars! And F1 was still (arguably) the finest racing on the planet.

It is true that the $300,000,000 budgets would be a thing of the past. but it might even be the key to bringing back the competition.....you just never know.

F1 without the current advertizing budgets and without the endorsements would probably be a breath of fresh air.....

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ... looking forward to REAL drivers returning to F1 ;).

Pete

24. Mr Iceman

Mr Iceman Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Canterbury, England
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am a supreme MS fan, always have been, which was quite hard in the UK back in '94 and '95 when he was battling with Damon Hill. most people over here hated Schumi, they thought he was an arrogant German and to the press and the public it was like WW2 relived. I used to stand up for schumi in arguments with my friends, I beleive that they didn't really understand that Hill was in the far superior car, and that the reason Schumi won in the Benneton was because he was a far superior driver, He was fascinating to watch back then, The Best display of driving skill is always watching a superior talent hustling an inferior car around a circuit. Martin Brundle ( a former Shumi team mate) once said during his commentary for TV "that Michael could qualify in a 'wheely bin'".

Its interesting to note how during the '02 and '03 seasons, when the Ferrari was an extremely well balanced car, Rubens closed the gap to Michael, because, I think, the Driver couldn't make as big a difference in such a well sorted car. Now that we have just had some of the most major rule changes for several years, and we are visiting new tracks, the cars and circuits have meant the drivers can make a difference again.

So perhaps all the rule changes that the FIA make to slow down Michael and Ferrari are self defeating, because the best teams and drivers will always be the quickest to adapt.

Its also sobering to note that in the history of F1 teams fortunes have always waxed and wayned, and surely Ferraris days at the top are numbered I personally think that Ferrari will always be in the top 5 but when Schumi retires they will no longer be dominant.

Just my opinion
    Scotty