Woman accused of killing and maiming her children acquitted | FerrariChat

Woman accused of killing and maiming her children acquitted

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bobafett, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Honestly, I don't even know where to begin with this one.

Insane? This is the excuse? The amount of outrage I would like to express falls well short of wanting to inflict upon her the same things she did to her children.

The justice of the legal system continually amazes me. I'm going to be sick...

--Dan

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    This is horrible.There are some f ucked up people around for sure. RIP those poor kids....

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    This women should be stoned.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    a travesty of justice. sick hollow feeling ......... i feel pity for her family.

5. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I don't know about Texas, but up here I've heard it's far worse to be found not-guilty by insantiy. Basically tossed into a hell-hole/institution for life vs. the normal prison population with parole hearings and ongoing publicity. Two very different set of rules.

Still horrible and doesn't help undo any of it.

6. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    How would it work for a guy claiming the same excuse???? Can you say throw away the key or injection of the lethal variety...... She will get hers one day.

7. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Damn right she's insane. Christianity = insanity. This is like saying the guys who flew into the WTC and Pentagon weren't responsible for their actions because Allah made them insane. WTF.

-R

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Did she have a fixation on Jodie Foster?
    That helped John Hinckley.

9. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I thought Texas was tough on criminals. Next thing you know, they'll be considering civil unions/gay marriage...

10. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ahhh yes our judicial... America has the best justice system Money can buy.

11. ART360

ART360 Guest

The McNaughen Rule is a pretty tough one to qualify for, and that's what Texas uses: You either must not know the difference between right and wrong, or be unable to control yourself. In this instance, both the prosecution and defense docs thought she qualified.

Having said that: The only difference is that the place where she's going is called a maximum security hospital. As a practical matter, there is little difference in the accomodations.

The difference is that she may have a chance of getting out, a slim one, but still a chance. She'll have to be certified same before they'll let her out. This is a vey hard defense to make, most lost, about 99% of these defenses fail, so she must have been really wacked out to get the docs and the jury to believe her.

Art

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    BAD, BAD FORM!!!!!!!!!!

DL

13. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Falls well short of? Surely, you mean "far exceeds"...?

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sad, but true. I posted it simply as irony for when a rarely successful "insanity" defense slips through the cracks. It worked for Hinckley, and yet, years later the "insane" Reagan-shooter was ruled "safe 'n sane" enough to not need to be confined.

Coming and going, she didn't have remorse for her actions - yet she cried when the verdict was read.

Oh, the iron knee.

Makes you wonder who is insane, aye?

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

Err, yeah. Meant to say words fall short, but it clearly came out wrong. Good catch.

--Dan

16. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Very, very sad indeed. What goes around comes around. She will pay her dues eventually.

17. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rhetorical questions:

How come when God told Abraham to kill his kids its o.k.(even though God recended the order), but when God tells someone in Texas to kill their kids its a crime?

How come when I talk to God I'm praying, but when God talks to me I'm Schizophrenic?

How is it that today we determine people who talk to God to be schizophrenic but 3000 years ago people who talked to God were 'prophets'? Moses comes down from the Mountain 3000 years ago with 'instructions from God' and he gets to have Charlton Heston play him in a movie; someone comming down off a mountain today with 'instruction from God' would get the rubber room.

Is Schizophrenia a problem that only surfaced after The Bible was written?

Even the prosecution's own doctors said she was nuts, but she deliberated on following God's orders, which would seem to nullify McNaughen (i.e. she knew killing her kids would be deemed wrong by society). It was only after deciding that disobeying God's orders would be worse than obeying them that she carried out God's wishes. Sounds like she did know right from wrong from a societal point of view.

18. ART360

ART360 Guest

That's only part of the rule. The irresistable compulsion is the other component. That's what got her the innocent verdict.

Art

19. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Another stunning example of religious zelotry.
    ****ing waste of human life that woman is.
    Also, where the **** were the neighbors? No one saw a crazy hag brutally beating her children in the front yard?

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    When you live in a mobile home in the middle of nowhere, "home schooling",...there ARE no neighbors!

Not that they helped Andrea Yates anyway. Just a sad story.

Wanna hear some more? Child Advocates doesn't always arrive on time.

21. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    From the book The Faith of George W. Bush:

Bush said to James Robinson: 'I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it.'

God tells woman to kill kids. Woman insane. God tells George to run for president. George leader of the free world. Strange...

-R