308 Trans Vent | FerrariChat

308 Trans Vent

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pma1010, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Just me or anyone else's spew fluid out of here?
    I have replaced the nozzle on my 77 with a new cap, but it still blows like old thunder when the trans is warm.

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    No problems here.

I have about an 8-10" length of hose attached to it (just an open brass fitting on my car, there was never any kind-of cap installed), ending way up on the chassis near the top of the rear shock. I figured if any amount of oil may slosh up, it certainly won't reach that far up.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks Peter. I've vented mine into a catch can (along with the upper output from the engine vapor separator). Funny, I used to do this. Couldn't see any output, replaced it with the correct Ferrari part didn't think any more about it. Lots of oil on the sump after hot laps at the track. It is only after I had everything spotless and had it on a rack this weekend that I noticed it and put 2 and 2 together.
    Philip

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    My used ex-308 also came to me with a short hose section already added to bring the gearbox vent exit height up into the top bracketry of the oil cooler (with the open end sort of pointed down) -- so that car must have needed it too (although I never tried going back to the stock design), or it was something a F shop would do as a preventative improvement to all the 308s in its care.

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steve, you can imagine my unpleasant surprise at seeing oil on the bottom driver's side of the pan last weekend after a winter of replacing diff seals, sealing the transfer gear case, sealing the gearbox and engine oil pans, removing the engine mounts and the engine mount studs and sealing to name a few. Hopefully the 30 minute fix last night cured all. We'll see.

In general, I have not found even the best techs at the dealers are that familiar with the modifications done to the now 20+ year old cars. I raised the issue of the modified 328 oil pan recently with one dealer "Oh yes, you should have one of those given how you use the car" (they've been servicing it for 2 years)...
    Philip

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    It's a factory authorized mod (search the old fchat archives).

The hose used to go to the vapor recovery unit (you'll find a opening on the side w/ a small hose section plugged with a bolt or small metal rod. Apparently Ferrari figured out that venting tranny fluid into the oil separator was a great way to get it plugged up, not to mention introduce gear lube into the engine oil.

My hose still loops up & over the bell housing, then dangles down near the vapor separator. Almost reconnected it before I found out it was a necessary disconnect. Haven't seen any signs of gear lube coming out of my hose tho.

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    At the track maybe 18 months ago, little known to me but the (brass?) cap on the vent was clogged. A week later I discovered this and on pressing the vent, compressed vapor vented with a psssssssh for about 20 (long) seconds. As I recall from the SPC, the Mondials had it vented so it would drain back somehow, no?

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #8 Peter, Apr 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I realise this thread is a few days old, but I finally got around to dumping the photos on my camera to the computer, so I took these of my simple venting set-up on my car from last week when I was working on it.

As you can see, it wouldn't be track-legal as it just empties out to the atmosphere, but for street-use, perfectly satisfactory. I didn't want to clutter the engine bay with bottles/containers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login