Window inoperative on Mondial | FerrariChat

Window inoperative on Mondial

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TOM B, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I've checked the archives and couldn't find anything. The passenger side window switch was alwaysa little sticky but yesterday the window went down slower than usual and stayed down . As an aside, the switch moves more freely now.
    I started to disassemble the center console but to gain total access to the switch will require a lot more disassembly. When the switch is depressed I don't hear any noise inside the door. This leads me to believe that , rather than a hardened grease issue, it's more likely a broken wire at the switch or motor. I'm very uncomfortable with electrical issues so this is just an amateur's guess.
    Any opinions on what the most likely culprit may be ? Also, any advice on removing the center console panel which holds the switch and the inner door panel to access the window motor? Thanks much.

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    You also may want to check the fuse, then window relay in the fuse box by swapping the r & l side relays as a first couple of things to look at.
    As to cleaning switches, spraying a little radio shack switch cleaner in the switch (power off), cycling the switch several times, then letting dry before reconnecting power has worked for me in the past on a couple of center console switches.
    good luck
    rt

3. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Do you have a meter to determine if you are getting juice to the motor?

4. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Russ, Norm, Thanks.

I've checked the fuses and the relay and they are OK. I've swapped switches in the console and that didn't work. I've removed the door panel and tried to manually lift the window and check for a means to raise the window by a crank. There wasn't one. I think i'm going to give up and take it to the dealer tomorrow. It is my daily driver and I need to be able to raise the window. Rain and snow predicted for this week. Damn Italian electrics.

5. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tom, take it the next step...do you have juice to the switch? If you have juice to the switch, follow it to the motor. If you have juice to the motor, try disconnecting the motor from the window. At this point, you need to isolate the problem with a good meter.

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Norm,

I verified that I have power to the switch with a test light. When I put the same light on the wires at the motor --- nothing. What do you think ?

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    the wires from the switch go to the relay, taking power through the fuse, then power goes to the motor. Those are the next places to check connections.
    good luck
    rt

8. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    While you have the door panel off I would try putting power directly to the motor, if nothing happens then the motor is shot, and the answer is simple.

If it works then you can do two things, close the window and be fairly sure you have a broken cable.

9. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Thanks for all your suggestions , but I finally gave up and drove to my dealer. The fix ? Tap the motor while applying 12V . Apparantly these motors are prone to having the brushes seize on the armature. Tapping with a hammer did the trick. Wide World of Cars is the best ! Thanks Enzo, Jim et al.

10. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC

Need more info. . . how big a hammer - how much force? Do the 12 cylinder models need a bigger hammer than the 8's. Inquiring minds need to know!

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #11 BigTex, Apr 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes two different hammers are required.

I only have the 8 cyl. hammer, for the 308GTB.

Do NOT hit your 8 cyl. vehicle components with the 12 cyl. hammer!!

Don't ask me how I know! ;)

It IS okay, per AJ Foyt, to throw the laptop at the pit crew, however.

"That Speedy308 is he__ on lap tops"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    It depends on the model. Older V8's use a mid-sized brass hammer. The modern V8's require carbon fiber percussion devices. The older 12's may use a big, old, heavy sledge hammers, but the newer models must use a new mallet made from unobtanium. Only one strike per instrument, then a new one must be used for each succeeding inpact.

I hope this has clarified things for you. ;)

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hey Alan, do you have your hand on AJ's a$$?

14. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    You have'nt mention if you need right or left handed hammers for the different doors ?

15. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    i just had a thought about your problem, When I bought my Mondial it had been standing for some time and both windows were inoperative. I eventually took the motors off and cleaned them, it might be worth a look as mine were veryyyyyyyyyyyyy mucky. It was an easy job and I have not had any re occurance of the problem.
    It might be worth a look .

16. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

17. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Tom, mine is an 84. It has the cable type lifts. It's a bit messy to work on but fairly simple. The motors came apart easily, and intentionally on my part. From your description the style has changed, I will put money it's sourced from Alfa, Lancia or Fiat parts bin. I have worked on all these cars and recognise so many parts.