Fiat 500 vs. 600, info? | FerrariChat

Fiat 500 vs. 600, info?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by lukek, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I might pick up a Fiat 600 soon. It is so cheap that I could make it into a static playground toy, but I am interested in resources, just in case I were to put it on the road (it sat for a long time). I realize that restoring it would cost more than buying a sorted one, but this might be a fun learning experience (I do not want to learn how to rebuild engines on my Ferrari V12).
    If anyone is a fan or owner please herd some electrons this way. I found pretty fragmented info by searching the net.

thx
    luke

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I have a couple of Fiat 600's, a Sedan and a Multipla. But no time to work on them. I have collected quite a bit of stuff, owners handbooks, shop manuals, parts books, etc. You can get most of the parts if you look around. Of course they are very simple, so they are easy to work on. Feel free to shoot me any specific questions. Here's my Sedan, isn't it a beaut?

3. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Much obliged to all for the info.
    I do like the sedan pic. It looks simple enough....I might bug you for the source of the Fiat 600 Workshop Manual. Books4cars.com has several listed, so I am not sure which one to get.
    I just found out that the one I might be getting is a yellow 1964 Fiat 600 D. It is all there. It will be a yard toy for my son and daughter while I try to use it to learn more about automotive restoration. Following the advice, I called Chris Obert of Fiats Plus to inquire about piston prices, random bits that I would expect needing. (Of course, I might "need" to put an Abarth motor into it). The car is essentially free and the parts prices are actually reasonable compared to the V12 Ferrari world...

Repaint on the Ferrari is going well. Everything is now apart. We found some evidence of green paint (horrid hue) , but the Ferrari archivist is adamant that it left the factory as grigio argento metalizzato, so that is what we will do. Whoever worked on the car before put in all the wrong hardware, so this is a chance to correct all the "wrongs". Overall, it is looking very nice, with very few suprises and no rust surfacing. I will post pics once I am done.

thx again
    luke

1963 Ferrari
    1974 Alfa
    1964 Fiat
    2X 2003 drivers