When is a Ferrari considered,"Vintage?" | FerrariChat

When is a Ferrari considered,"Vintage?"

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by FerrariFrank1, Oct 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My 1981 308 is going on 23 years old this January of 2004. When are Ferrari's considered,"Vintage?"

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am guessing pre-76 has been considered vintage for a while, while others claim vintage is pre-Fiat control. This looks like a Wayne question. :)

3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    When the dealer stops trying to sell you a new car, and tries to buy yours for 'restoration' said tongue in cheek of course.

That is a good question. I have a hard time thinking of anything after 1970 as vintage, that is still my personal hangup. bI hate the tought of a car younger than me being considered vintage. :rolleyes:

4. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Some states, Oklahoma as an example, consider a vehicle over 25 years of age as a "vintage" or "classic" for the purpose of registration/license plate/fees.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,I believe that,here in Illinois,you can get "vintage" plates for a car if it is older than 20 years old. But,in the Ferrari world,I suppose it can change every year-? And,IMO,anything from,maybe '79 and under,right now. But,thats because I grew up in the 70's. So,I am probably hoping,like TestShoot,that a car from the 80's isn't quite yet considered "vintage"! Considering that I was 21 when my car was built!

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I would consider vintage Ferraris as being the pre-V8 cars. The Dino and Daytona would be the end of the vintage era in my mind.

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I think vintage and classic are a bit different. Vintage implies a certain scarcity to me. A car that was unique/exotic when new, and even more so now. It also ties itself to certain eras which, unlike "classic", doesn't roll forward with time. To me, vintage ends somewhere in the 60s. I don't have a specific model in mind, just an era.

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    In vintage racing, isn't 1972 the cut off year?

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    On FerrariChat, it's 1969. We had lengthy discussions of this on the old site. IIRC, 1969 had to do with cars developed before Fiat's ownership of Ferrari.

10. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Should be interesting when you start seeing all these 80's Ferrari's running around with antique plates in the not so distant future.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Indeed! That will make me REALLY start feelin' like an old Fart! My first car that I ever owned,in 1975 when I was 15,was a '66 Pontaic GTO...Closest thing that I was going to see to anything "Ferrari-ish" at that age! But,that 9 year old car cost $300.00 back then! I FIRST saw a 308 in '76,and wanted one ever since. I didn't really know any other Ferrari's until the Testarossa "came out" in the 80's..(NOT the late 50's and 60's TR's) So,to see these cars with "antique", "classic" and "vintage" plates is abit disheartening! Just like the "oldies" radio stations. I now,tell my kids,when I hear a song,that,"I remember when that FIRST came out!" Also,a little bit disheartening! Oh well...at least I'm still here to be able to say that! :)

12. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    A lot of people ask me if my car is new. I tell them its a '79 and they can't believe it. It is going to have antique plates on it next year.

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    At least your "vintage" 308 is from the 80's! Mine is a 77. I was 9 when it was made! A true vintage car has carbs! ;-)

This is a testament to the lasting good looks of the 308. If a 26 year old car can still look fast and sleek, it's a timeless design!

Fortunately, the 308 is one of the most recognizable cars of all time. Most people, even people who have never seen a Ferrari, can recognize a 308 as a Ferrari even from a good distance. We probably have Magnum P.I. to thank for this. I know he is the reason I wanted a 308 for my whole life!! Loved his car!

Birdman

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I was 17 when your car was made! In '76,I saw my first ever 308,and fell in love with them. I was "able" to purchase one,several years ago,but didn't. It's a good thing,as,I then got Divorced soon after when I would have bought that car! Ever see those ad's in the Auto classifieds? "Must Sell. Getting Divorced!" Glad I waited! Also,the car that I ended up buying almost 3 years ago is ALOT better than the one that I was considering 6 years ago,anyway. I was now,(3 years ago)considering other,newer Ferrari models. But,always lusted after 308's,and knew that I wouldn't have been AS happy if I didn't get that model, as my first Ferrari.

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yes, being divorced myself, I can certainly agree that losing one's Ferrari in a divorce would truly suck! (almost as much as losing the house). Good thing you waited! Of course the best part is cruising by your ex-wife's house in your red 308 and a babe in the passenger seat! heh heh heh...

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Per the IAC-PFA meeting at Dallas in 2001, the cut offs were:

Daytona - Vintage, Boxer - Modern
    246 GT/S - Vintage, 308 GT4 - Modern
    365 GTC4 - Vintage, 365 GT4 2+2 - Modern

I think that's right, but I've slept since then.

Regards,
    Erik

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I like that. I've always felt the C/4 should be considered "vintage."

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Under the 1969 cutoff, the 365GTB/4 Daytona would be "vintage" whereas the 365GTB/4 Daytona Spyder would not be "vintage" as it did not first appear until 1971.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My own personal guidepost? With one exception, anything that is pre-electronic. The one exception being ABS. Simply put, the electronic cars with traction controls and check engine lights are the modern generation.

My logic is how the cars drive. There is no doubt that a car with traction control handles better and allows one to go way faster than you otherwise could. However, these cars simply do not have the same feel as the non-electronic cars.

I offer as an example my 1970 Triumph Bonneville and my 1995 Triumph Trident. The Trident will run all day at 100 and make you think that you are sitting in your living room. Do the ton in the Bonneville, and you know that you have gone for a ride.

I leave ABS in the equation because it works so well. Maybe I'm not consistent; but, hey, it's my party....

DrTax

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I bought my 308GTB and CAUSED the divorce. I kept it though, by giving her ALL THE OTHER STUFF.

Didn't totally work. She sent me the kids back!LOL

From the Dome tent,

Speedy

BTW I agree with the above statement: "Carbs make it vintage!"

A lot of the recent rallys seem to cut off at 1975. Oh well.