Mustang returns to GT racing... | FerrariChat

Mustang returns to GT racing...

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by writerguy, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #1 writerguy, Apr 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now this should make the road racing folks happy...

from Ford Media "The muscular Ford Mustang GT-R rekindles the legend?s road racing glory and the magic of 5.0-liter Mustangs in a stunning racing concept making its world debut today. The Mustang GT-R signals a potential future race car, while honoring four decades of performance glory just days before Mustang?s 40th anniversary."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    "If Ford were smart" = "selling a street version of this car"

3. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

Mustang Challenge Stradale? :)

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Body

Lightweight RPS body panels with carbon fiber hood, aero devices, instrument panel, interior door panels and floor heal pads

Engine – Ford Racing 5.0L "Cammer" V8

Configuration

V-8, aluminum block, aluminum four-valve cylinder heads, forged aluminum pistons

Bore x Stroke
    94 mm bore x 90.0 mm stroke

Displacement
    5.0 liters (302 cu in/4995 cc)

Compression ratio
    11.0:1

Horsepower
    440 @ 7000 rpm
    Torque
    400 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm

Redline
    7,000 rpm

Valvetrain
    Double overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder

Intake valves
    Two per cylinder, 38 mm

Exhaust valves
    Two per cylinder, 32 mm
    Throttle body
    Twin 57 mm

Drivetrain
    Transmission
    Ford Racing/Tremec T-56 6-speed
    Rear axle
    Winters/Ford 9-inch design
    Differential
    Winter's race-spec rear differential
    Clutch
    Ford Racing "Cobra R" heavy-duty clutch/flywheel assembly
    Driveshaft
    Metal matrix composite aluminum custom driveshaft
    Exhaust
    Complete stainless steel race exhaust with Tri-Y design headers, crossover and side exit tips
    Chassis and Suspension
    Chassis
    Fully reinforced fabrication
    Suspension
    Original production geometry with lightweight chrome-moly tube (aircraft quality) construction
    Front
    Reverse-L independent rigid strut tower brace with lightweight chrome-moly K-member and race-spec anti-sway bar with 1.25-inch box section
    Rear
    Three-link, solid axle with dynamic, fully adjustable shocks with remote reservoirs and coil-over springs, race-spec 1.25-inch panhard rod, and race-spec anti-sway bar
    Brakes
    Front
    Brembo Racing 6-piston calipers and 14.3-inch rotors, 1.25-inch thickness
    Rear
    Brembo Racing 4-piston calipers and 13-inch rotors, 1.25-inch thickness
    Wheels & Tires
    Front
    Pirelli P275/35/20 racing slicks
    20 x 10-inch, 5-spoke billet aluminum wheels
    Rear
    Pirelli P315/30/20 racing slicks
    20 x 11-inch, 5-spoke billet aluminum wh

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I really hate to say it but damn.. yeup, I'd buy one in a few years!

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    little birdies tell me to expect a "Shelby" version of this car for the street

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am really liking this stuff ford is doing. Gm sucks for killing off the trans am.

8. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, I used to never really like Mustangs all that much, but this might be something to consider in the future.

Anyone know if there are any stats for an "SVT" or "Cobra" version of the new Mustang. The only numbers I have seen so far are for the base model and the GT.

9. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    damn! that mustang looks awesome, as someone said before ford should sell something like that as street version... maybe this is how a future cobra or svt will be like. I liked the new regular and gt mustang concepts but this car is way better.

10. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    In a former life I as a Chevy LS1(still lots of torquey tire shredding fun!) guy and, obviously was not not a big fan of mustangs. I have to admit that I like the new mustang. Ford seems to have gotten it together and well lately. The design of the new mustang(not the GTR above) impressed me the minute I saw it. It pays homage to the original mustang models without looking forced or dated. Very clean. And then there is the GT but that has been discussed to death here.

I am all for an American car company actually turning out a product that people want, instead of something people will settle for. Bob Lutz did a great job at Chrysler in getting some cool cars(love them or hate them it is cool that they actually produced the Viper, the Prowler and the PT Cruiser. None of those are the cookie cutter attempts at competing with the Japanese on uneven ground that have plagued the big three.). Ford seems to be getting the idea that to sell cars they have to make cars that people lust after. Even if they can't afford the GT, they like the idea of driving a car built by the same compnay the makes it. It's kind of like the people who buy Monte Carlo's because of Nascar even though they have essentially nothing in common. Now if only GM can get their act together and remove the immense overlap from their product lines, things could get interesting!

-ag

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I could see a nice Hertz "Rent-a-Racer" version too. :)

12. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Its funny.

Last night on the Mustang usenet group, this car was universally assailed as "Rice" Especially the wing.

Erich
    66 Mustang 69 Mach1 06 Cobra?

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    What does Nibblesworth have to say? I have to admit, it looks pretty cool, I like the side exhausts.

14. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Another GT350H would be nice!

15. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I would buy that car. I would trade my C36 for that car...if I could get it in silver. Way to go Ford! Chrysler, please refer to my avatar for your repremand. WHERE'S MY CHARGER?

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I see what you're saying... but they must face that the young demographic "muscle cars" were originally meant to target has these tastes and preferences now. It's a big $$ demographic, and Ford needs a new generation of loyal buyers.

Let's face it, many of the people my age (24) would have NEVER bought a Ford product over a Japanese or German (or Italian :) import. Two years ago I was pretty confident in saying I would never own an American car. But I think this wave of the new Mustang, the GT and the Shelby Cobra could win back some younger buyers who have a lifetime of car needs to fill.

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I like it. The wing's a bit over the top though. Might be a nice car to fling around on track days. Probably easier and cheaper to live with than a Challenge car. Ford is coming up with some great stuff.

18. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I am speechless........the first Mustang I've ever liked! hahaha

That thing really looks good and man what a track car that would be!

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Nice to see the kiss of Fastback gracing the lines. Do initial reports conclude that the wing is a necessity for handling, like on the Subaru?

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    The bit of barge board wing is just for the Track, like most vehicles a Wing is mostly a cosmetic affectation unless the vehicle is running at top speeds and is in need of the aerodynamic forces. the street version is supposed to be a lot tamer than that But that Street Version is not really a reality yet

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    See there, they always have to "tame" the street versions of these incredible concept cars, IMO that's wrong! I have owned 2 Mustangs years ago and they were a great bang for the buck and quite easy to modify but to "castrate" what appears to be a great car is wrong. They should sell it EXACTLY as it currently appears.

22. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    John look at the data in the first post on this and the Hp ratings are there