A little puzzle. | FerrariChat

A little puzzle.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bart, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    One state bordering the Atlantic Ocean and one state bordering the Pacific Ocean have the same time. Which two? An answer in a few days.

Never drive less than 12 cylinders!

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    State of mind...? State of reality...?

3. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    A member of my country, a state.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Oklahoma and Alaska

Yess Yes I know...Im brilliant with riddles :)

Well in all seriousness, I cant figure this one out.

5. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    United State(s)

6. ctk

ctk Karting

Jul 2, 2001
    Singapore
    Washigton

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Police State

DL

8. TTBADBOY

TTBADBOY Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Alaska and Hawaii?

Joe

9. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Oregon and Texas.

The central eastern part of Oregon is in the Mountain time zone, while the rest of the State is in the Pacific Time Zone.

The western most "triangle" portion of Texas is in the Mountain Time zone, while the rest of the State is in the Central.

10. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah but Texas borders the Gulf of Mexico, not the Atlantic Ocean. Good try though :)

He didn't say they had to be states in the U.S. I'm guessing something in South America...

-R

11. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I think the Gulf of Mexico counts as the Atlantic ocean, otherwise there are no possibilities.

All the Central American Countries border the Pacific and the Caribbean Sea or the Gulf of Mexico. The only South American country that borders two bodies of water is Colombia, and it borders the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.

12. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Pretty clever riddle, but I burned too many brain cells trying to figure it out on my own. Had to cheat and resort to an Internet search to find the answer. Hey, that's what it's for anyway. Will let thread starter or someone else reveal...

13. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    This is the only answer that makes sense to me: Florida and Oregon. That is the panhandle of FL and eastern Oregon. But only for the one hour during the year where in the fall the time gets rolled back one hour. So for that hour they're both the same time. Then, eastern edge of Oregon goes back to mountain standard time and panhandle of Florida stays on central standard. Is that right?

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I noted the riddle wasn't USA-specific, so... does Cape Horn lay within a "State" of Chile?

15. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Hm probably right.. forgot that today was daylight savings. Good thing my computer updates the time automatically, or I would have been sitting at the airport tomorrow morning thinking "dude, where's my plane?"

-R

16. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

The Cape is split evenly between Argentina and Chile in such a way they both only border one ocean, but really ends up being an opinion because my Atlas doesn't draw borders for the oceans..

17. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I don't really get this "A member of my country" business, but a "state" is the same thing as a country.

18. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Basically in that 3rd post, he's saying a member of my country (the US), a state (California, Texas, Florida, Oregon, Ohio etc...) excluding the possibility of other countries, probably because there are too damned many combinations if you do that, ie Brazil and Chile, America and Peru, Colombia and Canada.

So I think ScreamforMe has it right and its Oregon and Florida during the timechange.

But then... the does question asks "has the same time", not "occasionly has the same time."

19. saad

saad Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    midwest
    Full Name:
    saad
    just convert to universal time zone.

20. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Universal time zone? You mean GMT right? how is converting to that going to help in any way?

21. saad

saad Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    midwest
    Full Name:
    saad
    i don't really know, just a guess, i'm sure it is easier than that.

22. saad

saad Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    midwest
    Full Name:
    saad
    or you can say, for example, california has say, 4:00 during it's course of the day, but so does florida, but obviously at different time zones, but nonetheless, they will both have the same times during a course of the 24-hour period (one day).

23. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    How about it is 4 am in Hawaii and 4 pm on an east coast state. Is there 12 hours worth of time zone difference? Then it would be 4:00 and 4:00 (or whatever time you want to use), just not the SAME 4:00. One would be am, and one would be pm.

-John

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Where the HELL did you find the answer...?!?!?!? i searched for, literally, HOURS on the internet and couldn't find it...! i went to riddle sites, google - everywhere...! Where'd you go...?!?

25. saad

saad Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    midwest
    Full Name:
    saad
    ha, i found it too, took me a long time last night but i tried again and found it in 2 minutes. the answer is not obvious and requires specific knowledge of time zones of the states that are in question.